Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Vintage Journey - April Challenge - It's Gelli Time!

There's a new challenge up at A Vintage Journey today - and I'm the hostess for April.  
Our challenge this month is to get those Gelli Plates out and create 

Yes, get those gel plates out and have a play.  Printing and mark making are unique and somewhat addictive when you start so let us see what you create and how you use it in your project.  Just remember to create your project in one of our preferred styles: vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk.
 
I'm just sharing some photos of my project today - as I will be posting a tutorial for it over at A Vintage Journey on April 18th.

Here's the print I created and used in my framed project using just a section of a 9"x12" Mosaic Flowers Repeat stencil from Stencil Girls.
I decided to create a framed wedding theme piece with my print as the background.



In the past I hadn't been very successful in getting anything I considered usable with my Gelli Plate - so I spent a couple of afternoons watching YouTube videos on the topic and then playing in my craft room.  I found things that worked for me and things that didn't and learned a lot!  

Here are a few other prints I made after many, many 'pulls'! 
I used a 6"x 6" Gelli Plate for all my prints.
A big 9"x12" print on Bristol Smooth Surface paper.
(I learned if you print words you have to turn the stencil over on the gel pad and ink through the back to be able to read the words on your print!) 
I was playing with mixing different Dina Wakley stencils and colors for this one. 
 I printed this on a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" Deli Paper that I had in my stash using a Stencil Girl Stencil.
These two are printed on white card stock 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" panels using two stencils from Stamplorations.

I'm sure a lot of you are more skilled in Gelli Printing than me and I can't wait to see what you link up over at A Vintage Journey this month!  

Please visit the AVJ challenge blog here - where you will also find lots more inspiration from the Creative Guides joining me this month!

I'm also linking my framed wedding to:
Anything Goes - Optional Wedding

Paper:  white card stock, Deli Paper, Bristol Smooth Surface
Accessories:  Golden Acrylics Quinacridone Magenta, Teal, Diarylide Yellow, Carbon Black, paint brush, Vignette Frames, Remnant Rubs Life Quotes and Elements, Paper Dolls - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology, thick foam dots, Copics YG17, Ell, R02, YR04, R37, B05 Mosaic Flowers Repeat 9"x12" stencil - Stencil Girls,  You Can, Mod, Mini Casey and Penelope stencls - Dina Wakley, Abstract Oats and Bold Florals stencils - Stamplorations,

9 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Great gelli print pulls, I've been playing along with Keelee Wynn stidios Layered Page free on line course- so much fun :)
https://kelleewynnestudios.simplero.com/purchase/101914-The-Layered-Page?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=706673-take-two-the-layered-page-opens-monday&utm_source=lists%2F66315-Color-For-Your-Inbox&simplero_object_id=su_bpxWAw42hzaUW5NPeS5jYHB4

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, so many stunning prints, Julia - the bold colour contrasts are so effective, full of vivid life and energy, and then the soft greens at the end are really gentle and serene. The one you chose to use in the frame is simply amazing, and I can't wait to see the tutorial later in the month.
Alison x

Susan said...

Great gelli prints, Julia! I really struggle with them. One day when we're allowed to socialize again, I need to get together with Christine and work with her to get better at making them. Love your use of the paper dolls with that fabulous background you chose.

Bonnie said...

Looks like you've mastered that Gelli plate, Julia! I haven't had much success with it. I need to take your advice and take a day to play and find out what works for me.

A Pink said...

Your wedding frame print is gorgeous , Julia and love that you have allowed it to shine by keeping all the perfect selected added extra simple . Looking forward to your tutorial .

Thanks for sharing all the other prints you created. All are equally fabulous . Looks like you are a natural gelli print from where I sit !

Thanks for a fun challenge.

Stay safe and well
Hugs
Amanda
x

Jackie C said...

This has come together beautifully!
Love this entry, thank you for sharing with Creatalicious.
Good luck, we all hope to see you and your wonderful creations again!
Jackie DT member.

Loll said...

Your colourful gelli plate background is perfect for your wedding couple. The design is fabulous, Julia! Love the dimension with popping up the happy couple. The black framing looks great!

You've had a lot of success with your gelli plate. All your samples are fantastic and so different from each other. You'll have so much fun using up with new stash of backgrounds. I have failed miserably using my gelli plate. It's nicely tucked into it's container and filed away. :) xx

Annie said...

I love your Gelli prints Julia x They are all so inspiring and I really must look out my gP and have a play x Looking forward to your tutorial xx
Take care and huge hugs
Annie xx

Melanie said...

A lovely project!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "anything goes + optional wedding” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

(DT Crafty Friends)

(DT The Sketchy Challenges)

(DT Simply Create Too)

(DT Kreativtanten)