Tuesday, October 15, 2019

My October Post for Eileen Hull's Blog

Today I'm sharing my monthly post as a member of Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team.  Every Wednesday some of the team will be posting projects on Eileen's Blog with links back to our own blogs so you can see how we made our projects using Eileen's dies.
 
Today I'm using her newly released Pocket Notebook Die.  This fun die creates a smaller journal - 6 3/4" x 4 1/2" and the spine can be adjusted from 3/8" to almost 2" depending on how many pages you want to have in it!  If you wanted to slip this into your pocketbook, you'd probably make the binding the smallest 3/8".
I cut pages out of Newsprint for the 3 signatures inside.  I will use this Pocket Journal to write down random thoughts that come to me day to day, maybe a sketch, a poem, or even a prayer, so I just wanted plain clean pages.
I used one of the 2 additional smaller pieces that is on the die (see below photo) to hold the suede cord closure - the pieces can be used for latches or pen holders - or whatever you think they should be used as!  
 I adhered the piece to the journal binding with a brad that went through the hole already cut on the center of the binding.  I knotted the cord through the 2nd hole on the piece.
I then wrapped the cord around to the front cover and pulled it through the hole on the other end of the latch piece - then I just wove the cord back around itself  to hold it closed for easy opening and closing!

Here's how it all started.  I die cut two covers for the journal.  I inked the inside of each cover using Blends2 Ebony Ink that I dropped onto my craft mat and then spritzed with water.  I used a sponge to pounce the color on - I love the marbled effect it gives!
The two finished covers.
I dried the covers with my heat tool, flipped them over and sponged along just the edges of the fronts of each cover.
 (I added panels to the fronts so I didn't need to ink the whole area.)
 I made textured panels for the covers using black card stock and the Woven 3-D Textured Impressions Embossing Folder from Sizzix.  I sprayed the card stock with water first so it created a nice deep impression when embossed.
I adhered the embossed panels to the matboard covers using ScorTape to be sure it held given the deep texture of the 3D embossing! I trimmed the outside corners of the embossed panels with my corner rounder to fit the shape of the die cut.
I also used the 3-D Impresslits Mini Scallops for trim on the top and bottom edges of the covers to give it a nice finished look.
I adhered the bindings together using ScorTape for a secure hold.  
I made my binding the full ~2" wide.
I knotted the pieces of black elastic cord through the holes in the bindings to hold the 3 signatures.
Here's how the cords look on the outside.
I then slipped each folded signature through a cord.
Here's a view of the 3 signatures.  A lot more pages could be added to this Pocket Journal!
I adhered Quote Chips to my cover for the title.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing how I put my Pocket Notebook together.
 Please check out Eileen's blog every Wednesday to see the teams projects using her current (some mixed with older) Sizzix dies!

I'm linking my Pocket Notebook to:
Paper:  white Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix, Black card stock - Papertrey Ink, Newsprint Paper - Wendy Vecchi/Stampers Anonymous.
Ink:  Ebony Blends2
Accessories:  Pocket Notebook Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Woven 3D Textured Impressions Embossing Folder - Sizzix, 3D Impresslits Mini Scallop - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Quote Chips - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology, Black Tie Brad - Bazzill Basics, Black Faux Suede Cord - Walmart, black elastic cord - JoAnn,  Corner Rounder - Zutter.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Another fantastic notebook, Julia! Love all the texture and the size is perfect for carrying in your purse or having on your desk!

Redanne said...

Black and white is my new favourite combo, it is so elegant looking and I just love the embossed covers - it looks so wonderfully tactile! Hugs, Anne xx

Redanne said...

Hi Julia, I just popped back to say thank you for joining in with us at Mini Album Makers this month. Hugs, Anne xx

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

This book is amazing in person! Thanks for the tutorial!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There's a real elegance when black and white are together, it makes everything look extra sophisticated. Super tutorial of a very versatile journal die which I have to say I am in love with at the moment. Really happy to see you share over at Mini Album Makers. Creative wishes Tracey (DT)