Thursday, February 2, 2017

February 2017 A Vintage Journey Challenge - Words that are Special!

Hi all -  the February challenge is up over at A Vintage Journey!  This month, hostess Jennie has chosen the topic "Words that are Special".  
Here is the challenge in Jennie's words:  
"We often use words for card making, scrapbooking, journaling, layering backgrounds, stamping, collage, in mixed media work, on our tags.... In fact words are often an integral part of our design processes for many of our projects. This month show us words that are important or special to you, and how you incorporate them in your vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial or steampunk art."
I guess I would call my project Mixed Media and Art Journaling (although it's a framed canvas and not a journal)
I am finding that my faith means more and more to me as I grow older - and so these words on my canvas are words special to me.
I have lots of photos to show how I created this.  
The background was made with acrylic paints - using a technique called Acrylic Galaxy Background that I learned in a class from Wanderlust 2016 given by Jennifer Lee.  I have seen the technique on several YouTube Videos so I feel it's ok to share how I made this.
I started by painting 2 canvases - a 10"x10" and and 8"x8" with black Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic.  I ended up using the 8"x8" for my project today - so the larger one will show up on another day!
You let every layer dry before moving onto the next colors.  Next I dabbed on some Manganese Blue Hue and Magenta
At this point I always ask myself - "how is this going to turn into a beautiful galaxy??"
So I  pounce on  more black paint and dab over the paint with a damp sponge.  This blends the colors and adds some bumpy textures.
Now I'm going to add the lighter swirls of color - I used Dina Wakley Magenta, White and Sky.
and again -  it looks really weird and I added too much light color - but never fear!
I dabbed more black to soften the light edges and cover some of the light colors and I ended up with this.  You add and subtract color until you like the look.
 Still not looking like a galaxy but watch the magic that happens when you add the 'stars'! 
Here are both of the canvases I made.  
First I used the round end of a paintbrush dipped in white acrylic paint and pressed onto the canvas for the larger stars - and then I mixed a little water into the white paint, dipped an old toothbrush into the watery mix and splattered smaller stars by dragging my thumb over the brush.
So now to decorate my galaxy in the Words that are Special Theme - my word is FAITH.
I die cut the Mini Globe die out of a manilla tag and sprinkled some Sand Stone and Ultramarine Brushos over it.
Spritz with water and watch the wonderful color appear!
I tried to do Sand Stone on the continents and Ultramarine on the water - not perfect - but I like how it came out!
I stamped a sentiment on a piece of tag I had in my stash - it had been colored by rubbing Distress Mermaid Lagoon ink on my craft mat, spritzing with water and dragging the tag over the watered ink.  To make the colors coordinate with the globe, I shook a little Sand Stone on it and spritzed with water.
I rubbed some Glue N Seal along the corners of the canvas and spooned on Black Micro Beads to add a little more texture to the canvas.  The beads are now all over my craft room but a good amount stuck to the canvas!
I die cut FAITH using Thinlits Alphanumeric dies out of a thin sheet of cork, inked the letters a bit with Ranger Distress Ground Espresso and adhered them to the canvas under a sentiment from Inspired Faith that I colored the same way as the larger sentiment.
 I inked and distressed the edges of the sentiment with Ground Espresso and my distress tool.  You can see the Black Micro Beads on these close ups.
 I adhered the globe to the canvas with black foam tape to pop it up of the surface a bit. 
I added several Idea-ology Small talk stickers that went along with my FAITH theme.
This shows the thickness of the canvas - I splattered some 'stars' on all the sides.
I really LOVE this Acrylic Galaxy Technique and I hope you will try it out!  
You can see my Wanderlust project using the technique here.

So please join us this month - showing us "Words that are Special" to you in your vintage, shabby, mixed-media, art journaling, industrial or steampunk project!  You'll find lots of inspiration from the Creative Guides here.
Stamps:  Faith Is - Wordsworth Rubber Soul, for we walk - from Inspired Faith - PTI
Paper:  manilla tag
Ink:  Archival Jet Black, True Black - PTI, Ranger Distress Mermaid Lagoon and Ground Espresso.
Accessories:  8"x8"x1 3/4" deep canvas, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic paint - black and Manganese Blue Hue, Dina Wakley Heav Body Acrylic paint - Magenta, Sky, White,  Idea-ology Small Talk, Brushos - Ultramarine and Sand Stone, dies: Thinlits Mini Globe and Alphanumeric - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, paint brushes, water, water spritzer, Glue N Seal, Black Micro Beads -  Art Ingredients/Finnabair.

22 comments:

Loll said...

This is an amazing canvas Julia. Love the galaxy technique ... incredible how the "stars" finish the look. And love all the texture from the layers of acrylic paint and the microbeads. Awesome! xx

Astrid Maclean said...

This is stunning Julia, the galazy background looks amazing! The way you coloured the globe is just perfect too and I love how te rest of it came together! Thanks so much for the great step out too!

Jenny Marples said...

Truly out of this World Julia! LOVE the way you've created your spacescape and the clever way you've added colour to the globe and words xx

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

What an awesome project, my friend. Your choice of Faith was no surprise!! Hugs!

Nikki Acton said...

Wow Julia such amazing colours and depth in your canvas - great project - wonderful sentiment x

Bonnie said...

WOW! This is AMAZING, Julia! Thanks for taking us through the steps! Love the sentiments and how perfectly they fit with the galaxy!

Redanne said...

A fabulous project Julia (I am ashamed to admit I have not looked at that class yet on Wanderlust...), the sky looks incredible once you get the 'stars' on. The globe looks beautiful in those colour tones too. Absolutely fantastic work! Hugs, Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

What a fabulous star lit background, it really does look like a galaxy in outer space and it's perfect for adding on your chosen elements and words. Love it Julia xxx

nancy littrell said...

Wow Julia, I just finished reading your creative canvas "Faith" journey...I am so impressed with your mixed media layers! TFS all your steps with your wonderful photos and descriptions. You are really inspiring me to try your technique. I loved your addition of micro beads for your gorgeous galaxy, your beautiful globe, cork Faith and much more. A true "Work of Art" my friend. TFS and taking the time to take all your photos. A big Hug.....Nancy

Susan said...

Your galaxy is amazing. The colours turned out perfectly - thanks for explaining how you did them. Love the splatters and spots of white, and also love the way you coloured the globe. I may have to try a galaxy by following your steps!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Julia, love your galaxy backdrop, so atmospheric . The globe is the perfect focal piece . Faith is perfect for this. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow Julia what an amazing background ! Your galaxy turned out wonderfully and it was super to see the steps you went through to get it. Love your wonderful words too. Have a great weekend x

A Pink said...

This is fabulous! Julia Your galaxy background is fantastic- thank you so much for sharing the step by step and its an ideal setting for your special words and mini globe.
A canvas with meaningful depth created from the heart.
hugs x

Sharli Schaitberger said...

You are SO creative! This is amazing!!!

Jo said...

My word, you are really going ART Terrific :P
This is just awesome, a beautiful mixed media projet!!!
Love it, hugs

Deb said...

Wonderful galaxy background Julia, so much depth and interest, thank you for sharing it! Deb xo

Juliz Design Post said...

I saw this on FB earlier and loved it and am so glad I came over for a closer look at how you achieved this wonderful galactic scene with amazing texture, love it.
Julie x

Annie said...

a fabulous canvas Julia and a great step by step too. Filled with wonderful details....totally love the scene.
Sending he hugs
Annie xx

Carol said...

Awesome canvas - love the galaxy. globe and quote xx

Words and Pictures said...

This is utterly amazing, Julia - the depths of the night sky, and the glow of Planet Earth, and that wonderful sentiment too. The painty textures are glorious - this must be almost as good for the fingertips as for the eyes! Wonderful work.
Alison x

Barbara said...

Wow wow wow!!!! your background is incredible! Love it so much! fab work! Barbara

sarascloset said...

A beautiful night sky and the globe and and quote are fabulously created! I love your choice of words and the story behind this work of art. hank you for the tutorial--I'm so ging to give this a try! Hugs!