Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Acrylic Galaxy Background with Paper Landscapes - Wanderlust

This month the Eileen Hull Inspiration Team is working with Crescent Art Products along with Eileen's new Sizzix collection Paper Flower Party
The Inspiration Team will be focusing on two Crescent Art Products, RENDR paper and Photo Mat Art Board.
RENDR Paper is 100% no-show through.  This means you can ink, stamp, spray, paint and color to your heart’s content with absolutely no bleed through.
Photo Mat Art Board is another fantastic Crescent product being showcased this month.  Photo Mat Art Boards make it easy to create professional quality photo projects with your own artistic style. 
I used both products on my project today. My design was created from the latest class over at Wanderlust - Acrylic Galaxy Background with Paper Landscapes by Jennifer Lee. And I am just THRILLED with how it came out!
I started with an 8"x10" Crescent Photo Mat Board and painted it with black acrylic paint. I wasn't worried about making smooth brush strokes as the idea is to create layers with the paints.
When that layer was dry - I added three more dark colors - I can't give all the details since it was from a class but I'll show you photos.  I sort of pounced the colors on - then you pounce over it all with a damp sponge.
When this layer was dry I added some light colors in soft swirls with a rounder brush, adding black again if it got too light.
then came the stars - some dotted on with a paintbrush and then splattered on with a toothbrush. (toothbrush splatter not shown accept on final photo)
To make the paper landscape I sprayed a piece of RENDR paper with Ranger Distress Spray Stains
And tore strips off to look like mountains, tearing it towards me so the white edge shows.
The beauty of RENDR paper is that nothing you put on one side will bleed through the paper.  Here you can see how even the Spray Stain did not come through on the back.
I embossed a few of the landscape layers using Eileen Hull's new Textured Expressions Embossing Folders - Honey Comb, Daisy Wreath and Basket Weave to add some extra dimension to the landscape.
The Planet Earth photo that I mounted inside the frame opening is from an old school book I had torn up for this Wanderlust class project - I saved some of the photo pages when I tore them out of the book - it was the perfect image for this project!  I white embossed the Bible Verse from Scripture Collection 1 by Our Daily Bread.
I added a die cut easel (Tim Holtz Alterations) to the back so this project could be displayed on a shelf or mantel.
I really love this acrylic galaxy background I learned to paint  - I'm sure I'll be trying this again!
I hope I've inspired you with my project using the Crescent Photo Mat Artboard, the RENDR paper as well as Eileen's new embossing folders!  Please check Eileen's Blog for more ideas from her Inspiration Team all month long!

I'm also linking my project to:
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - 2nd Anniversary - #18 Texture

Stamps:  Scripture Collection 1 - Our Daily Bread
Paper:  Crescent Photo Mat Board, Crescent RENDR no show thru paper, chipboard easel - Funkie Junkie Boutique.
Ink:  Versamark
Accessories:  Textured Expressions Embossing Folders - Honey Comb, Daisy Wreath, Basket Weave - Eileen Hull/Sizzix,  Dina Wakley Heavy Body Acrylic Paint White, Blackberry Violet, Magenta and Sky, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic Paynes Grey, Manganese Blue Hue, White Embossing Powder, heat tool, glue stick - Ranger, Ranger Distress Spray Stains Fired Brick, Broken China and Rusty Hinge, sponge, Fine Tip Black Sharpie, White Sharpie Paint Pen, planet Earth photo from old science school book.

8 comments:

Sharli Schaitberger said...

This is stunning, Julia! I love your galaxy and the stained strips with your embellishing looks amazing! This is gorgeous! Excellent work!!

Redanne said...

I really enjoyed the class but haven't tried it yet, you have done a superb job on the galazy Julia, it looks amazing and Eileen's folders certainly give your spritzed papers lots of lovely dimension. Love this! Hugs, Anne xx

Annette Allen said...

so totally fabulous.. always so creative.

Vicki Dutcher said...

This turned out amazing! Very realistic galaxy!

eileen hull said...

Wow Julia- this is so impressive! So glad you let your hidden talents out into the world for us all to enjoy. I love it!

sarascloset said...

Lovely galaxy, and the embossed "mountains' look great layered up against it! Beautiful work! Hugs!

Karen said...

Your galaxy background is stunning!! I thought it was a premade paper - love that you created it!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Words and Pictures said...

Love your paper pieced landscape and the textured galaxy frame is simply amazing - wonderful work! Sorry to have missed so much again lately. I've got a couple of weeks coming up soon where I hope to do some proper catching up.
Alison x