Thursday, September 28, 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - September Post - 3D Embossing with a Twist

Today I'm sharing the cards I made using this month's Group of 7 Cardmakers technique - which is 3D Embossing with a fun twist!    

The fun twist is that you  ink up the debossed side of an embossing folder with black ink and emboss your water colored with reinkers panel which creates a black background around the colorful embossed image!

You'll find a link to a tutorial by Devid Roodenburg over at the Group of 7 blog as well as some beautiful inspiration from the rest of the seven!

Here are the 4 cards I created using this technique.


Here's how I created my cards:

Misted both sides of a panel of watercolor paper with water.

Dropped 2-3 colors of reinker inks onto my craft mat and used a wet paintbrush to spread one color at a time over the panel. Painted equal amounts of each color on the panel randomly.

Dried panel with heat tool or set aside for an hour to dry.

Inked the debossed side of a 3D embossing folder with Nocturne Versafine Clair ink

Placed the water colored panel in the embossing folder, color side over the black inked side, and ran through my Big Shot. 


Some photos of each card as I was creating.

I started with this.
Ranger Distress Reinkers: Peeled Paint and Stormy Sky

And created this
Tall Pines EF
I started with this:
Ranger Distress Inks Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey and Tea Dye


and created this
Acorns EF
I started with this:
Ranger Distress Reinkers Cracked Pistachio, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint
I made two panels for this one
and created this
Glorious Leaves EF
I started with this
Ranger Distress Reinkers Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries, Fired Brick

I made two panels for this
and created this
Poinsettia EF

Notes:

1.  The background is supposed to be solid black.  I could have tried to reink the folder and emboss again OR gone over the background with a marker but I decided to leave them the way they came out with the first embossing. I was afraid I would misalign the folder, or the black ink and black marker wouldn't look good together -  So I  get a B- for the class (!) not following directions....

2.  If you don't have any water friendly reinkers - try smooshing Distress Ink pads onto your craft mat and use a wet brush to apply the ink to the misted watercolor paper.

3.  I found that each 3D embossing folder seems to be a slightly different thickness and had to adjust the sandwich used to emboss.  (Don't force it through your machine!)

4.  When I look at my panels -  it seems that the parts that didn't fully color with black are where the pressure rollers might be on my Big Shot as it definitely looks like a  vertical linear miss along both outside edges.  Maybe I need a new machine...?

5.  I also tried a few embossing folders that did not work well with this technique before finding some that did!  Don't give up!


Be sure to check out the tutorial, listed supplies and instructions, and all the wonderful samples by the rest of the Group of 7 over at the blog!   

You can also link up your creations using this technique there!  We'd love to see what you do!


I'm linking my Tall Pines card
 
to:
Stars
ends 10/2

my favorite movie - White Christmas
ends 6 pm 10/4





Tall Pines
Stamps:  Christmas Quotes - Poppy Stamps.
Paper:  Water Color - Canson Cold Press, Kraft Stock Silver - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology
Ink:  Ranger Distress Reinkers Peeled Paint, Stormy Sky, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  Tall Pines 3D Embossing Folder - Simon Says Stamp, White POSCA Pen, Star Die from Wisemen - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, foam dots.


Acorns
Stamps:  Mini Strips: Harvest - Taylored Expressions
Paper:  Water Color - Canson Cold Press
Ink:  Ranger Distress Reinkers Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey and Tea Dye, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories: Acorns 3D Embossing Folder - Tim Holtz/Sizzix,  Mini Strips Die - Taylored Expressions, Black POSCA Pen, foam dots

Glorious Leaves
Paper:  Water Color - Canson Cold Press, rainbow Glitter Paper - Scrapbook.com
Ink:  Ranger Distress Reinkers Shabby Shutters, Cracked Pistachio, Peeled Paint, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  Glorious Leaves 3D Embossing Folder - Memory Box,  Let's Have a Word Die - Autumn - The Greetery, Orange Peel Stickles 

Poinsettias
Paper:  Water Color - Canson Cold Press.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Reinkers Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries, Fired Brick, Nocturne - Versafine Clair.
Accessories:  Poinsettia 3D Embossing Folder - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, yellow POSCA Pen, Allelulia Word and Shadow Die - Simon Says Stamp.

14 comments:

Loll said...

All your cards are AMAZING, Julia. Great work with this technique. And thanks for all the advice. I LOVED seeing your watercoloured panels before you embossed with the black background. xx

Christine Alexander said...

I love all the cards and especially the distressed look of not getting a solid back background. Like you I used the Tim Holtz poinsettia :) I love that warm orange red glow you created.♥

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow Julia - just gorgeous, each & every one! I especially love the ones that didn't get solid black in the background - gave great texture, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the process photos too!!

nancy littrell said...

All four of your cards are "Wow" designs and different for different occasions, Julia. I especially Loved your detailed descriptions and photo steps for each card. I also found the technique very addicting and so much fun. Hopefully some of our friends try the technique and share on our Linky too:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy P.S. I could not pick a favorite:-)

Marcia Hill said...

WOW!! All 4 of your cards are FABULOUS Julia!! Each one so dramatic and bold! I especially LOVE your 1st card!! I just may have to invest in the Claire black ink pad as I read Bonnie's post about what the Versafine Black Onyx pad did to her folders and that's what I've always used too and don't want to ruin my folders. But what a fun and lovely, lovely technique...you aced this class my friend!! Hugs. :0)

SmilynStef said...

What a fabulous technique and awesome holiday cards ... So glad you joined us at Jingle Belles with your *Christmas Story*.

Bonnie said...

I'd say that you get an A for this, Julia! Your backgrounds may not be solid black but you they totally work! I love what you did, my friend!

HilaryJane said...

These are all just stunning. Thanks so much for the comprehensive instructions xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

All four cards are fantastic, Julia! I actually like the distressed look of not getting a solid black background. It adds the character to the cards. Thank you for sharing the photos that show your creating process! They are really helpful and also just fun to look at. Your notes will be very useful when I try out the technique myself.
Hideko xx

lauren bergold said...

What a beautiful and artful set of cards, you've made me want to try that cool technique! So pleased you could join our Stories of Christmas fun at Jingle Belles!

Susan said...

Fabulous cards, Julia - you got great results from our Group of Seven technique. Wonderful vibrant colours! I think my favourite is the poinsettia one.

Brenda in IN said...

Your cards are beautiful, each and every one, Julia. I love seeing them from start to finish and the colors are so vibrant. Great group of cards for this technique.

I Card Everyone said...

Julia, you've used my all-time favorite Poinsettia EF here - now why didn't I THINK of it??
Gorgeous cards - I'm trying and trying again! lol
=]

Cindy Beach said...

Julia, I've had a wonderful time visiting your blog today. Your cards are beautiful, and each one is special. You've convinced me to try this technique again. Love these amazing samples!