Wednesday, May 18, 2022

His Mercies are New Every Morning

Every couple of weeks I send cards to two people that have serious medical issues.  I try to keep them upbeat and pretty, something for them to look at and hopefully brighten their day.  This is the most recent card I've mailed to them.

I saw this beautiful card fold on Splitcoaststampers in Karen Ksenzakovic's gallery when she was the featured stamper this past Sunday and she had a link to her blog with a video on how she made it and it's really easy!   
  Here's the link to her blog post and video.
You need a piece of DP that is 12x12 and double sided.  I found a beautiful 12x12 pad at Joann's on sale (!) called Cottonfields by DCWV.  You need a strip 5 1/2" x 12" so you can get two cards from one 12"x12" sheet.

I made a template so I'd remember how to make this fold - here's a photo of it as well as brief instructions.  
Cut a piece 5 1/2" x 12" out of double sided designer paper.  Score along the 12" side at 2", 4", 8" and 10".  Make a mark on the outer edges up 2" from the bottom.  Draw a line from the 2" mark over to the inside scoreline from both sides and cut along the lines - save the cut off triangles to decorate the front flaps as shown above.
If you create a sentiment for the outside flap as below - remember to only adhere it to the left side so you can open the card!
I cut two daisies out of watercolor paper using Wild Flowers Stems #1 - Tim Holtz/Sizzix,  and glued one to each side panel as shown.
Here's the back of the card.  
My DP was sturdy so I did not have to adhere it to a panel of cardstock as Karen did in her video.

I think this card fold is quite impressive even though it's easy to create!

I'm linking my card to the following challenges:

Addicted to Stamps and More

my occasion is encouragement


I was inspired by the flowers, the colors and my card is Clean and Layered.


Stamps:  Bold and Beautiful Sentiments - Papertrey Ink, His Mercies - Rubbernecker.
Paper:  Iced Kiwi, Frosted Orange - Prismatics, DP Cottonfields 12x12 paper pad - DCWV., water color paper - Canson Cold Press.
Ink:  Obsidian - Altenew
Accessories:  Wild Flower Stems #1 dies - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Wood Frame dies - Hero Arts, Winsor and Newton Water Color paints, brush, water, Brown 01 Micron Pen.

8 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful fold for the card and such pretty designer paper ♥

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

So gorgeous, Julia - sure to bring cheer to your friends! Thanks for the "how-to"; I'm going to try this fold - looks so easy to make with an amazing result!!

Susan said...

I always have so much admiration for people who can do the fancy fold cards! I don't seem to be very good at getting the measuring and folds right. Love the papers you used.

Mac Mable said...

It sure is impressive and absolutely fabulous Julia. It is upbeat and so very pretty, with a striking fold too. Thank you for the step by steps too x.

Bonnie said...

What a pretty fold, Julia! Love how it all comes together and those flowers are so pretty!

Inkyfingers said...

What a super and unusual gatefold card design, Julia! Love the paper you chose and the die-cut flowers complement it perfectly! I bet the recipients really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM and I hope you will join us again soon.
Hugs
Carol x

Kerry Parkinson said...

A wonderful use of this pretty paper! Thanks so much for joining in the challenge at The Card Concept. Cheers, Kerry DT

Mary Marsh said...

this is really pretty Julia- thanks for the link for instructions- I love trying new fun fold ideas