Friday, November 27, 2020

Die Cut Relief Card Tutorial - for A Vintage Journey

Today I'm sharing a card tutorial over at A Vintage Journey and thought I'd put it here on my blog as well!    I made my card using a technique called Die Cut Relief.  You create the look by layering a die cut scene on an embossed panel and then dry brushing with 3 colors of paint.

So first I got out some dies to create a scene as well as some dimensional snowflake stickers and a Weathered background embossing folder.   I used watercolor paper for the background panel and all of the die cuts.
I embossed the background with the Weathered Embossing Folder, then glued all the die cuts onto the card using Matte Medium, let it dry and then brushed over the panel with the Matte Medium again and let it dry.
 (lots of 'letting it dry' coats here!)
Since the snowflakes and star were silver, I brushed over the whole panel with Gesso to make everything white.
I dry brushed over the full panel with my darkest color - Manganese Blue Hue, and let it dry completely.
Then I dry brushed over the raised and open areas with Burnt Sienna and let it dry completely
My final coat is white which I dry brushed on lightly over the raised bits and open areas - brushing from all angles so all edges of the die cuts got white on them to give the scene dimension.
I adhered my panel to a white card base.

I'm going to try this again with different colors and different dies - I love the look of this!

Paper:  Water Color Paper - Canson Cold Press, white - PapertreyInk.
Accessories:  Liquitex Matte Medium, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic Manganese Blue Hue and Titanium White, Winsor and Newton Burnt Sienna Acrylic Paint, brushes, Weathered Embossing Folder - Taylored Expressions, Tiny Town Holiday Yard Die, Wonderful Words: Holiday Die - Papertrey Ink.

6 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Oh my goodness, Julia - this is stunning!! Will have to try this; just love the result you achieved!!

Christine Alexander said...

love that card Julia, the combination of embossing and die cutting are amazing :)

Bonnie said...

What an interesting technique, Julia! I love the look and can't wait to see more!

nancy littrell said...

Wow...the photos really helped me visualize all your mixed media textured layers, Julia. I love your die cut scene and choice of colors. So creative and beautiful, my friend. Your vintage Christmas scene would make a beautiful decoration during the holidays. TFS are your details, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Let's Art Journal said...

What a beautiful card! I love the technique that you used, it looked like you had so much fun too 😀. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed following along. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Mac Mable said...

Wow I love the look too Julia. It is so unique and dimensional and is now on my to do list. Thank you for the step by steps and the wonderful inspiration x.