Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Life is Better Around the Campfire

This month Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team is creating Celebrate the Great Outdoors projects using her dies. 

For my project I've created a vignette of a Camp Site - using her retired (unfortunately!) Travel Trailer  Die. (you may find it on Ebay or Amazon).  I used her House Pocket die for the windows and door on the trailer and her Gift Box Scalloped Die to make the base and back piece of the scene.    

I have tons of photos I'm excited to share.

Here first, are views of my finished camp site.



Here are some photos of how I put it together. 
I die cut the pieces of the trailer out of Sizzix Mixed Media Board as well as Kraft Stock Metallic Paper from Tim Holtz.  I trimmed off the tabs on the silver pieces as they are just glued to the inside of the trailer.  I sanded the silver to make it a little less shiny.


 I cut additional 'tires' out of black cardstock and punched smaller circles of silver for hubcaps.  Then I adhered the tires on the inside of the trailer as shown below.


 Here it is from the front, you can see the tires

 

 I folded up the tabs and adhered one end to the trailer as shown, curving it to fit the edge.

 

I pressed  down on the top until the glue took hold.


Here it is with both sides adhered.  Then I put glue on the top tabs and pressed the other side of the trailer onto the tabs, adjusting them to the edge before the glue dried.
 

  Then I adhered the piece with the trailer hitch to the bottom
and here's the little trailer all ready to have it's windows or other decorations put on.

I die cut windows and a door out of silver metallic paper using Eileen's House Pocket Dies.  They are a perfect size for the trailer, but I could have just cut squares and rectangles if I didn't have these dies
I placed a piece of tape behind the windows and die cut more windows out of a light blue paper (it looks white here) I placed the blue 'glass' inside the frames held by the tape, then trimmed the tape off any edges.

I thought it would be nice to make a step up into the trailer and after fiddling around with a piece of silver metallic paper, I came up with this simple design

Here's a view from the side

And here it is on the trailer.  I glued the 1/4" end piece to the bottom of the trailer under the door.

I used Eileen's Gift Box Scalloped Edge die to create the base and back board for my scene.  I cut 3 of the box sides out of matboard and covered them with paterned paper. I wanted the front piece to be the sandy beach and the lake (or ocean) that the campsite was on.  I taped the two bottom pieces together with packing tape and then decided to add a full piece of cardboard to it for extra support.  I glued the bottom edge of the back piece onto the grass piece angling the sides in to create an enclosure.

I die cut trees from Tim's Village Landscape Sizzix Die and painted them with watercolor paints.  I die cut a camp fire and a coaster to put under the steps so no sand would get tracked into the trailer! (I ended up using a different piece of DP for my final mat.


To add a little dimension to my scene, I added some stones to the waterline, a deer and mushrooms around the trees, and I brushed Crackle Accents over the waves.   I removed the trailer for these photos so you could see the background.  The image panels are from Forest/Stamperia, the sentiment is from Taylored Expressions.

The white rocks are Art Stones from Prima and worked perfectly along my shore line.
The fire pit was made by die cutting two circles out of black fun foam and then cutting them again with a slightly smaller circle die and gluing the two pieces together.   The fire is a die from Taylored Expressions.  The mushrooms and flowers are from Field Notes Ephemera Snippets Pack from Tim Holtz.
I would love to be staying in this sweet little trailer right on the water!


You can see the crackle on the waves below.


I hope you have enjoyed seeing my little campsite - I really had fun creating it.   

Please check out Eileen's Blog every Wednesday in September to see what the rest of the Inspiration Team has come up with for our Celebrate the Great Outdoors projects!


Stamps:  Paddle Out - Taylored Expressions.

Paper:  Mixed Media Board, White Little Sizzles Matboard- Sizzix, True Black, Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate, Orange Zest - PTI, Kraft Stock Metallic Silver - Tim Holtz/Idea-ology, Clouds and Grass Paper Pad - Joann, Cottage Stripes and Dots Paper Pad - Memory Box,  Beach Vibes Paper Pack - Honey Bee Stamps, River Rock Paper Pad - Provo Craft.

Ink:  Obsidian - Altenew

Accessories:  Travel Trailer Die, House Pocket Die, Gift Box Scalloped Edge Die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Circle Nestabilities, S'more than a Feeling Die - Taylored Expressions, Coaster Die - The Greetery, Bigz Die Village Landscape - Tim Holtz/Sizzix, plastic deer from stash, Neutral Candy Dots - SU, Black fun foam, Art Stones - Prima, Crackle Accents - Ranger, Beacon 3 in 1 Glue, Packing tape, Kuretake Water color paints, Ultra Bond Adhesive - iCraft.

12 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

All you'd need is a dog and an awning and you'd have my sister's campsite down to a tee, Julia! What a fabulous project and it looks like you had a lot of fun doing it! So many great details!!

Mac Mable said...

You are so creative and clever Julia and I am loving this fun creation x.

Redanne said...

I definitely enjoyed seeing your little display Julia, it is just perfect and I agree it would be lovely to be there next to the water at the moment. This really is incredible, I love it! Hugs, Anne xx

Lisa Hoel said...

Julia this is so wonderful and fits the Great Outdoors theme perfectly!!

Bonnie said...

This is AMAZING, Julia! The camper looks authentic done in silver foil and all those little details, especially the rocks, make this an awesome campsite! Way to go, my friend!

Loll said...

WOW! This is incredible Julia! I LOVE all the details you've put into this. What a lot of work, but well worth it. The design is AMAZING!! Every detail is perfect! Great work, my friend! xx

Karen said...

wow this is incredible! All the details are just amazing.

Maggi said...

This is so amazing and so creative! I love it!

Christine Alexander said...

wow Julia what an incredible scene. that camper is so the bees knees :)

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

You are just amazing! I love everything about this - you paid so much attention to detail! Definitely one of my favorite projects ever!

eileen hull said...

Julia, this is truly a work of art! Every little detail has been thought of- love so many things especially the steps you added to the trailer, the rug and all of the amazing scenery! You are so clever to add the background using the Gift Box die as a backdrop. Wow- just amazing and also a fantastic tutorial! Thanks for the reminder- I need to get my trailer die out again...

Trina P. said...

Oh WOW! 😱 Did you hear my jaw dropping to the floor? 😉😂 This was a lot of work, but so worth it because it looks incredible! Amazing details. You definitely nailed the great outdoors theme! Love it!