Monday, October 1, 2018

CAS Mix Up Card Challenge - October - Faux Metal

It's the first of October and there is a new challenge posted over at CAS Mix Up!  Mac is our talented hostess this month - and her challenge is to use a Faux Metal technique!  There are several links to videos over a the blog showing several techniques to inspire you!
I was inspired by this video on the Black Ice Technique:  Black Ice Technique by Melissa Kerman- SCS (8:42).  I had never heard of this and it was fun to try it out!
I started with a piece of metallic silver paper from my stash - it is heavy like cardstock but I'm not sure where I got it?!  As per the video I watched -  I dragged the Jet Black Archival ink over the panel and dried it with my heat tool.  Then I stamped my images randomly over the panel.  I used Hero Hues Black ink on the images as when I tried Archival Jet Black ink- the images didn't show up well.

   I used two AALL & Create sets designed by my friend Tracy Evans - the dragonfly is from set #45 and the funky flower stamp is from set #44.  I dried the panel with my heat tool.  
Then I lightly pulled Versamark ink across the panel - side to side and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  Hopefully, you can see the texture of the clear embossing below - looking like black ice!  The silver paper showing through is REALLY shiny IRL.
I did a little stenciling behind the panel with a Tim Holtz Mini Stencil and Color Box Silver Pigment Ink.  I added 3 Candy Dots from SU.  The sentiment strip is up on foam dots.

We are delighted to have Pat (Colourful Card Creations) as our talented Guest Designer for the month of October -  AND we have a new CAS Mix Up Design Team member - please stop by her blog and welcome Susan (Cat's Ink Corporate)!

I can't wait to see which Faux Metal technique you use on your CAS design card!  
You'll find lots of inspiration from the Design Team as well as our October Guest Designer - over at the CAS Mix Up Blog!  The challenge is open until 10/24.

Stamps:  Tracy Evans sets #44 and #45 - AALL & Create
Paper:  Metallic Silver paper; True Black and White - PTI.
Ink:  Archival Jet Black, Hero Hues Black, Versamark, Color Box Silver Pigment Ink.
Accessories: Clear Embossing Powder, heat tool, Neutrals Candy Dots - SU, foam dots.

15 comments:

Loll said...

Fabulous work with the black ice technique Julia! This is so pretty! Love the beautiful dragonflies. The stenciled background adds a special detail to the design! xx

Mac Mable said...

Such a unique and wonderful technique. Such an amazing card and so shiny and fabulous. The stencilling looks great too x.

Pat said...

Yet another interesting technique and beautifully done Julia. I love the pretty stamping in black, and the black dragged across, plus the clear embossing over the top has made it so shiny and given a wonderful icy effect. A fabulous card. x

Bonnie said...

Your Black Ice piece is gorgeous, Julia! I love the stamped dragonflies and the black mat really makes them stand out! The stenciling behind the panel is a nice touch adding extra interest and dimension!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful black ice technique Julia, very classically elegant with your Dragonflies:)

Susan Joyce said...

Love the Black Ice Technique Julia and your beautiful dragonflies on this gorgeous shiny design. The stenciling is just the right touch for your card. Thanks for your lovely comments and welcome to the Design Team.

Trina P. said...

Beautiful card, Julia. The shine and effect is amazing. Can’t wait to give this technique a try. x

Redanne said...

I can't say that I have ever heard of that technique either but I am going to go over and have a look because your card looks fabulous!! Love the way you have used Tracy's stamps too, the technique shows them off beautifully. Hugs, Anne xx

Kim Heggins said...

stunning card Julia...love your gorgeous background!

Jo said...

You've done this technique honours dear Julia. I've watched and watched it again but I just don't seem to have the courage. Your piece is so fresh and pristine. Love the dragon fly theme. The card design is top notch too, just the perfectly dosed embellishing! Bravo. A beauty xx

Cathy said...

Such a striking card, love the look of this technique, Cathy x

Papercraft Boutique said...

Fabulous job with the black ice technique, Julia! Love the effect of the technique and the monochromatic look! Your picture shows the shiny texture of the clear embossing very well and it's so beautiful and interesting! The contrast between the shiny black ice surface and the soft stenciling behind is fantastic! Hideko xx

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous black ice design, Julia. TFS all your steps. I will be checking out the video too. This would be a wonderful technique for a guy card. It was wonderful seeing your close up photo of the shimmer and shine too. Hugs..Nancy

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful card! The technique looks fun and I love your design with the dragonflies too 😀. Happy Friday! J 😊 x

Ina G said...

Love this technique and only recently tried it out too. Such fun. You have mastered it beautifully here Julia. Great layout. I have already started on a card for this challenge but may have to try my hand at the black ice again too thanks to you.