Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mittens and Candycanes

Am I in the Sound of Music and starting to sing "These are a few of my favorite things"? Well, no,   I'm describing the subject matter of my  cards today - both made for challenges, and although, as I stated in a past post, I'm done with this years' Christmas cards -  I have created two more - and they will go in the box for next year (unless I need one suddenly for a new card exchanger! i.e. not on my list!)

I had a lot of fun making these rather whimsical cards today.   The Merry Monday challenge this week was to use mittens or a mitten shape for your card and the Seize the Sketch challenge had a fun banner on it.

And here's my card combining the two challenges.   I bought this cute banner die from Savvy Stamps  last year on sale at the end of the season and forgot to get it out for this year until now, thanks to the challenge!  When I went to look for mittens - I found I had several stamps to choose from - who knew!  I decided to go with these stitched mittens from Waltzingmouse that I paper pieced.  The stitched flag sentiment strip is from Lil' Inker Designs and the stamped sentiment is from My Sentiments Exactly.
I made my second card for a new challenge I came upon while visiting blogs - it's called Sunday Stamps and this week it's a sketch challenge.
And this is the card I created using the sketch.  More stamps from Waltzingmouse and  WMS dies as well.  I colored in the stripes on the candy cane with a Red Spica pen so it's a little glittery IRL
Here's the inside - continuing the peppermint theme!

Don't forget to check out the WMS Inspiration Blog -  where the Design Team posts something every other day that is sure to thrill and inspire you!   I'll be posting the 15th of each month over there so I hope you'll take a peek!

We had our first appreciable snowfall today -  I actually had to scrape it off the car in the lot I park in where I get the subway to work.  And they are predicting really cold temps in the 20's and more snow in the next few days - 2" - 4",  so no blizzard but enough to shovel!

Mittens
Stamps:  Sewing Box Christmas - Waltzingmouse,  sentiment - My Sentiments Exactly
Paper:  White, Hawaiian Shores - PTI, DP Sn@p - Simple Stories
Ink:  Archival Jet Black
Accessories:  maraschino twine - the Twinery, Happy Holidays Banner Die - Savvy Stamps, stitched sentiment flag die - Lil' Inker Designs, glue Pen, foam dots.

Candy Jar
Stamps:  Candy Jar Christmas Fillers, Merry Christmas from Alpine Christmas - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  White - PTI, Basic Grey - SU, Dp Sn@p-Simple Stories.
Ink:  Archival Jet Black, Memento Love Letter
Accessories:  Red Spica Pen, foam dots, Enamel dots - My Minds Eye, Jar Essential dies - Waltzingmouse.



22 comments:

Susan Joyce said...

Lovely cards Julia, Love the colours and your sweet stitched mittens. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

Kristie Goulet said...

Two great cards, Julia! I love the Happy Holidays banner on your cute mitten card. Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday.

Sherry Eckblad said...

Great cards, love the Happy Holidays banner.
Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch!

Loll said...

Two fabulous cards Julia. I especially love the mittens. Fabulous color combo ... and I love the corner banner and the stitched banner (with the perfect sentiment!). Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday. Loll xx

LeAnne said...

Oh my gosh, how CUTE!! Both of them are adorable, but I have to admit that the WM mittens are my favorite...especially with that cute sentiment! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Merry Monday challenge this week!

Darnell said...

These are wonderful Christmas cards, Julia, although I hate you for being done with this year already!! I love how you combined the two challenges for your very linear and adorable mitten card!! Do be careful in that fresh slippery snow! Hugs, Darnell

Birgit said...

Love both of your cards!

Bonnie said...

I love the stitching on these cute mittens! Love that banner too! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

~amy~ said...

Ah, the sound of music, love that film!

Such fun cards...love your banner on your first card and your second card is darling!

Thanks for playing with us at Seize the Sketch:)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Oh my gosh, these are so sweet and fun. Love them both, Julia!

Mona Pendleton said...

Such sweet cards Julia! Love the pair of mittens and the jar full of yummy candy canes!

Karen Davis said...

I love both of your cards Julia. The mitten stamp is fabulous with it's blanket stitch edging.Good buying. Thank you so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

Cathy Weber said...

Isn't it funny that we buy things and then forget we even have them? So funny that you found those cute banner words...they go so perfectly with the WM mittens...the first thing I thought of when I saw the challenge was "mittens". I sure wish I was done with all my cards...why do I always wait to finish the inside?

Barb Ghig said...

Two really beautiful cards, Julia! Your mittens are so sweet, especially with your stitching!

OttawaMom said...

Fabulous cards! Love your jar of candy canes and the polka dot background. So happy you found us at Sunday Stamps and hope you stop by again soon!

Mary Marsh said...

These are 2 great Christmas cards Julia-I especially like the mitten card -all the elements complement each other

Kathya said...

Both cards are awesome Julia! Great job! Really like the candy canes in the jar! Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps!

anja curvers said...

Both cards are awesome love them those mittens are great.

Notes by Nina said...

Lovely cards Julia, I love the stitching on the mittens. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Wendy said...

Such a wonderful card, Julia! Love your layout and those cute mittens! Your sentiment is perfect for this week's challenge! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Mondays! :)

Avery Murphy said...

I love your take on Seize the Sketch's sketch! The mittens are super cute!!!!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Congrats on your shout out over at Seize the Sketch~