Saturday, July 7, 2018

Just Us Girls - I'm the July Guest Designer! Word Week

I am so thrilled and excited to have been asked to be the July Guest Designer over at Just Us Girls!  I was asked because I was chosen Chic of the Week on May 18th.
This week is Word Week and the word is 'CITRUS'.
It appears that I don't  have any citrus stamps in my craft room (!?!?!?!) so I used citrus colors - orange, lemon, and melon
Here's a little explanation of how I made this lovely stenciled background for my card.
First I laid my stencil over a panel of watercolor paper, shook 3 different colors of Brusho over the stencil.  Then I spritzed water over the stencil until the colors were activated to my liking. 
I removed the stencil, turned it over so the watery Brushos still on the stencil were facing down and laid the stencil onto another panel of water color paper and pressed over it with a paper towel.  This gave me a negative outline print of the stencil. 
 I dried both with my heat tool.   Then I laid the clean stencil over the negative print of the stencil (bottom left) and sponged Distress Inks over the stencil. (Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Shabby Shutters)  Top left is the original stencil print using Brushos and water over the stencil.  Bottom left is the negative print of the stencil sponged over with Distress Inks.
Another view -  on the right below is the negative print of the stencil before sponging and on the left  is how it looks after I sponged color through the stencil.  
 (I made a bunch of these panels because I was so excited about how wonderful they came out - so these below don't match each other but they do show before and after!)
Another look at the negative stencil and the inks and Brushos used (Lemon, Orange and Grey).
I know this may sound difficult as it took a lot of words to explain it (!)  but it's really simple when you just do it! And isn't the result beautiful!?!
So please join us over at Just Us Girls showing us how the word Citrus inspires you!  You'll also find lots of inspiration from the creative Design Team!  You have until 9 pm EST July 12th to link up your card.

I'm also linking my card to:
The Card Concept
my card is mixed media, inspired by the orange blossoms and green leaves


Stamps:  Sentiment Staples: Birthday - PTI
Paper:  Watercolor Paper - Canson, Orange Zest, Limeaide Ice and White - PTI
Ink:  Hero Hues Black, Ranger Distress Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Shabby Shutters.
Accessories:  Bloom Boldly Stencil - Artplorations, Brushos Lemon, Grey and Orange, green enamel dots, foam dots.

17 comments:

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

this is very beautiful and I understood completely what you did. Love the end result.
Barb Housner

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful techniques and an AMAZING card !
Hugs, Susi

Vicki Dutcher said...

How awesome are these backgrounds! Welcome to JUGS for July~

Mac Mable said...

Wow, absolutely stunning, so unique and so very different and I love it x

Nancy said...

I personally am very glad you had no Citrus stamps in your collection as this is gorgeous! I am so impressed with your results! Not only is it inspiring it encourages others to be creative with the colors too! Thrilled to have you with us this month Julia!

Bonnie said...

Both the positive and the negative are wonderful, Julia! Wonderful use of citrus colors, my friend! Congratulations on your win and GT spot!

nancy littrell said...

I Love both your positive and negative stenciled and watercolored images, Julia. Your finished card is gorgeous with all the textures and colors. TFS your photo tutorial, my friend. Hugs...

Susan said...

Congratulations on being a Guest Designer! I love what you created for it. And thank you for the explanation of using the negative and positive - it was very clear. I like both versions - couldn't say which I like best! What a great way to get extra backgrounds.

Trina P. said...

Congratulations on GD at JUGS, Julia! Fantastic idea to use of citrus colours when you din’t have citrus stamps. Your positive and negative Brusho stencilled cards turned out beautifully. xx

Ina G said...

Wow Julia! What a way to start as our Guest for July with all these yummie stencil impressions. They are gorgeous. Simply stunning. Can't wait to see more from you all month long.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Congratulations on the Guest Designer spot at Just Us Girls, Julia!
Fabulous effect of the brusho stenciling and sponging with DI's! I was wondering how you made the card. Thanks so much for showing the creative process with pictures. Very interesting! Hideko xx

Macimbalo said...

Beautiful background! Love how you made it! So happy to have you join us at JUGS for July!

Maria said...

Fantastic take on the challenge! I just love that background so amazing! Great job!

cm said...

Such an innovative way to create a 'citrus' effect with non-citrus images! The depth of your colours using the stencil + Brushos + inking technique is amazing! Gorgeous! And yes, if I could achieve such results, I'd be making a bunch of panels like these, too! So thrilled to have you as our GD this month; your cards will definitely inspire others to play along!
hugs~carol

Lisa Kind said...

This is so pretty! I love the technique and it was explained well! So happy to have you joining us this month at JUGs!

Bobby said...

What an absolutely fantastic technique, Julia. I love the control you had of the Brushos to go where the stencil dictated. And then to get two panels from one spritzing. Marvelous! Thanks for the inspiration and for being our guest this month.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

What an amazing technique with fabulous results! I love this and your perfect explanation on how to achieve this. Welcome to JUGS for this month! You certainly are starting off with a bang!