Monday, October 12, 2015

A Shell in Your Pocket

The Inspiration challenge over at Split Coast this week was a wonderful Shell board on Pinterest.  Here is the card I created.
I was inspired by two photos - my background was inspired by
and the colors for my shells and star fish were inspired by 
I made my background using encaustic wax and a small iron - you melt the wax onto the base of the low heat iron and then run the iron over special white encaustic paper - there are all kinds of youtube videos out there on how to control the design you come out with - but I haven't played with it enough to control it - so I get what I get! Here is a link to where I purchased my encaustic supplies. I just LOVE the depth of the design the wax creates and I thought this piece looked just like the bottom of the ocean might look!
I picked up the small shells on the beautiful shores of Sanibel Island, FL. We vacationed there several years in a row - several years ago - and if you have been there, you know the shelling is super - and you just cannot walk along the beach without picking them up!! The tiniest ones like those here, don't add TOO much thickness - although they might not survive mailing unless padding was added.
I colored my shells with Shell Pink and Butterscotch Alcohol Inks - just adding drops over the shells - then drying lightly with my heat tool. The starfish is from a Tim Holtz die -Sea and Sand - and I embossed it with 3 colors of Wendy Vecchi embossing powder, Pink Peony, Orange Blossom and Tree Branch (one at a time) to achieve a mixed color.
I used the Story Book 1 die from Pretty Pink Posh to die cut the sentiment rectangle out of white.  I stamped the sentiment from Gina K Gifts from the Sea with Archival Jet Black Ink and sponged it all over with Distress Salty Ocean Ink. Then I spritzed it with water to create water drop marks.
I'm also linking this creation to:
Cut It Up challenge - Back toNature - use a die cut of things you find in Nature  - (my star fish)

So, just as I'm happy to welcome fall weather - I'm thinking of summer days at the beach again!! OR maybe a nice winter vacation on Sanibel Island again??!!


Stamps: Gifts from the Sea - Gina K
Paper: Encaustic card stock, white and true black - PTI, Little Sizzles Mat Board - Sizzix
Paper Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Ink: Archival Jet Black, Wendy Vecchi Archival Tree Branch, Ranger Distress Salty Ocean.
Accessories: Dies- Story Book 1 - Pretty Pink Posh, Sand and Sea - Alterations/Tim Holtz, Wendy Vecchi Emb Powders Pink Peony, Orange Blossom, Tree Branch, Adirondack Alcohol Inks Shell Pink and Butterscotch, ScoreTape, Foam Dots, Rhinestone - Kaiser, Encaustic Wax, small iron.

8 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

LOVE THIS! That encaustic wax is the coolest stuff! Made for a perfect sea background!

Pon Malar said...

Beautiful card, love the background you created ♥♥ and the shells are awesome ♥ :)
Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog!!

Joanne said...

That background is so striking! Love the colors and the accent of the shells. Beautiful work as always, my friend.

Redanne said...

Well Julia, as someone who adores all things sea and underwater - you have created a fabulous underwater scene! The colours are gorgeous and the shells look just perfect - great job!! Hugs, Anne xx

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

This is just lovely. You really captured the feeling of Sanibel Island!

Thanks for coming Back to Nature with us at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Annette Allen said...

WOW that is amazing..

Deb said...

Julia, your encaustic background is stunning! Gorgeous colours and so much depth and texture, what a wonderful card! Deb xo

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, loving your excursion into encaustics - that background looks completely amazing. Love the contrasting colours, and so great to see those inspiration photos too - I think you've more than done them justice.
Alison xx