Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November CAS Mix Up Challenge - and a happy announcement!

I am excited for two things today -  first - the November CAS Mix Up Challenge has been posted
AND..........  I'm a new member of the Design Team!!  Whoo hoo!  I am so excited to be joining this talented team!  Thank you Bonnie and Loll for inviting me to join!
Several years ago I had finally found my creative design niche -  it was how I liked to design - Clean And Simple  -  then, a couple of years later, I started experimenting with Mixed Media a rather complete opposite path - and now I'm happy to be in both camps as a designer!  
Today I'm highlighting my CAS side!
So here is my first creation as a Design Team Member for the CAS Mix Up Challenge.   I used a stencil as a mask, a sympathy stamp and a honeycomb embossing folder.
Here are a few photos of how I put this together.  
First, I cut a small piece of white card stock. 
To keep it CAS I knew I wanted my busy colorful piece to be small.  
I laid a leaf stencil over the panel as a mask - and tapped a little bit of Turquoise Brusho over it - you can see it hardly looks like there is any there!
 Then I spritzed it with water - just 3-4 short spritzes  - and look at all that color!!  A little Brusho goes a long way!
I removed the stencil and saw that there was a lot of wet Brusho on the stencil
So I laid it wet side down onto another white panel - pressed over it with a paper towel -
  which resulted in this negative print.  I'll put this aside for another day!
I embossed a slightly larger panel with a honeycomb embossing folder and adhered it to the card base - a little off center.  I layered the leaf panel over the embossed panel - having a little bit of the right edge off the panel.  I stamped the sentiment on a strip of white card and adhered it to the layered panels with the left edge directly on the leaf panel and the right edge up on a foam dot.
Please check out the rest of the Design Team's creation for today over at the challenge blog -  Loll, Bonnie, Nancy, Susan, and Joanna (my fellow new Design Team member!).  There are several links for different methods of masking to inspire you!  I can't wait to see which method you choose!


Stamps:  Cas-ual Fridays - Casual Comfort
Paper:  White card - PTI
Ink:  True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Brushos - Turquoise, water mister, Leaf Stencil - Tim Holtz, Honeycomb Embossing Folder - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, foam





13 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love, love, love this, Julia! Welcome to the CAS Mix Up team!

Loll said...

LOVE this card Julia!! I'm so thrilled that you are joining our fun team!

I am the same as you ... CAS is my style that I learned through SCS in 2010. I had not heard of it until then. I've never looked back. A few years ago (again same as you), I found that I LOVE to experiment with mixed media techniques and products. And now I LOVE to make CAS mixed media cards. So fun to add just a bit of mixed media to the CAS designs.

I love the brushos stenciling paired with the texture from your dry embossed background. Awesome design, my friend! xx

Redanne said...

So thrilled for you Julia, you do both styles so very well - I love the work that the CAS Mix Up team do and you are a great fit!! Congratulations to you - and to them for inviting you.

Your card is gorgeous, love the stencilling! Hugs, Anne xx

Jo said...

I love the layers & textures in this terrific CAS card. So elegant, love it 😍 xx

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Wowie! I hadn't heard of Brusho - guess I'd like to try that! It reminds me of how the Inktense Pencils "burst" into color when you add water - such a change! The card is just stunning, and would be something to ponder and reflect on for a long time. A keeper.

Samra said...

Huge congrats on the DT spot! You seem to be very happy with it, and I am happy for you :)
Your style is great and I always enjoy seeing your creations.
Hugs
Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Susan said...

Julia, I'm so glad to have you joining us on the CAS Mix Up Design Team! I love your first card for us - especially because it is in my favourite colour combination of blue and white! I also love the way you used the stencil as a mask for your brushos, and then layered over the dry embossed panel. I'm looking forward to seeing all your future creations!

Pat said...

This is very pretty and the honeycomb embossing in the background goes beautifully Julia. The brusho stencilled leaves are so vibrant on the main panel too. Congratulations on being part of the Design Team. x

Darnell said...

What a fabulous card, Julia!! Congratulations on the DT appointment! They are incredibly lucky to have you on the Team!! Hugs, Darnell

nancy littrell said...

LOVE your stenciling with Brushos layer Julia. I am so excited you are on our team, since you love CAS and Mixed Media:-) What fun to see your photo tutorial too. You may be giving me the push I need to try a photo tutorial. A big welcoming hug my friend.

Bobby said...

Congratulations on being part of the CAS Mix-up design team, Julia. I love how you used the Brushos. I'm just learning and did one with embossing paste through a stencil but I'm going to try just the stencil as well. And getting two for one is a bonus!

Linda said...

Congrats Julie, on your DT gig. This is so pretty with the Brushos, masking with the stencils. I never have good look with stencils & watercolor. It's so fun being GD this month.

Kim Heggins said...

So beautiful...love the incredible look you created with your stencil. Congrats on your DT spot.