Thursday, June 18, 2015

Fusion - June 18th - Bright Butterfly

Welcome to the next Fusion challenge!   Look at the wonderful photo we have for inspiration this week! 
I went completely with the photo this week.  Pulling out my Alterations Layered Butterfly die and embossing folder -  she's 'almost' too big for the card - but I think it works with all it's boldness!
I die cut the butterfly out of black Little Sizzles matboard from Sizzix.  Then I embossed it with Wendy Vecchi Sky Blue Embossing Powder - before putting the heat gun on it though, I brushed off the powder along the edges and down her body so it looked similar to the inspiration photo.  Then I heat embossed it.  After the embossing cooled - I brushed  over the embossing with Wendy Vecchi Archival Forget Me Not ink - it's a little darker than the Sky Blue Embossing powder.  Then I heated it again -  I just learned about this technique called "Marbeled Embossing Powders"  over on Wendy's blog here.  Then I used the butterfly embossing folder that comes with the die to get all the details onto the butterfly -  I wasn't sure it would emboss given the thick mat board and the embossing powder - but it sure did!
  To make the colorful background, I first  black embossed one of the flowers from Tim Holtz' Flower Garden Set all over a white panel - overlapping the stampings and going off the edges.  Then I sprinkled Brusho Color Crystals over the embossed panel - using Lemon over the bottom 3/4's and Brilliant Red on the top 1/4.  Then I spritzed the panel with water and the Brusho colors melt and run and turn brilliant color!  Here you can see the yellow 
  I stamped a sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's set, All Occasion Art onto a Sentiment Strip and adhered it above the butterfly with foam dots.  You can see the Brilliant Red Brusho here.
I added a scattering of Lemonade Blend sequins across the card.  I adhered the butterfly to the panel with two thick foam dots on the wings near the body so the wings would stay sticking up a bit like she's in flight.  I twisted a little piece of black wire around her head for antenae.
I can't wait to see how you will be inspired by this wonderful photo - or perhaps you have a great idea for the lovely sketch this week??   You'll find all the details and Mr. Linky on the Fusion blog here.
Here are the links to my Fusion Teamies - wait till you see what they have made this week!

Deanne   












I'm  linking my card to Wendy Vecchi's June Make Art Challenge - Use Embossing Powder 

 The Card Concept The Butterfly Effect - Mixed Media Style


16 comments:

Samra said...

WOOOW!!! Julia this is stunning!!! I am simply mesmerized by this crafting gem!!! Love it!!! Pinned it! Than you for the inspiration!

Pamellia said...

Wow Julia, this is just so bold, bright and beautiful!! I love the flower stamping in your background! Amazing take on the photo challenge! hugs :)

~amy~ said...

Julia, your card is absolutely spectacular!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful marbling effect Julia, love your card!

Becca Cruger said...

Oh my goodness this is SOOOOO bright and bold and beautiful! Love the sketchy black flowers in the background!

Anonymous said...

Stunning card Julia!!

Deepti said...

This is lovely I like the use of bold colors on the BG and equally striking and bog butterfly :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Julia! Your background and butterfly looks outstanding! Perfect take on the challenge! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Colour Press said...

Love d colour combo you've used Julia.

laurie said...

Wow this is STUNNING! What a fantastic card for the challenges. Thanks for playing along at The Card Concept!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Amazing.

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful!!!

Unknown said...

Completely Spectacular card, Julia! It's bold and beautiful and colorful--all of my favorite things a card could be!! Just Gorgeous!! XOXO-Shari

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, what fabulous colours, and I love how you've edged the butterfly for extra drama.
Alison xx

Katie Ann Brooks said...

the texture on this is so fabulous!

Sheri Gilson said...

Stunning butterfly card! Thank you so much for playing along with The Card Concept!