Saturday, June 27, 2015

Art with Heart - Beautiful Summer

I've been wanting to make a project for Eileen Hull's Art With Heart Challenge - Summer Fun with Sizzix.  I have several of Eileen's Sizzix dies and I've been waiting to find time to make things with them.
So for my Summer Fun project I pulled out Eileen's Canister Die.  And I decided to use it as a vase for some of the flowers from my garden (Day Lilies, Ladys Mantle, Lavender and Salvia)
I used an empty shrimp cocktail jar to put the flowers in-   it slipped nicely into the canister!
I embossed all the pieces with Wendy Vecchi's Buttercup Embossing Powder - brushing some of it off before embossing to age it.  I also rubbed it off the edge that I would be putting ScorTape on to put the pieces together.
After I heated the yellow - I sprinkled a little bit of Tiger Lily Embossing powder on and heated it again.  When the pieces cooled - I stamped Wendy Vecchi's Spatter stamp using Adirondack Snow Cap.
I die cut some Tattered Florals out of Coredinations Ranger Distress paper - sanding the edges, sponging with Ranger Distress Vintage Photo and crushing up each bloom in my palm and then unfolding.  I used an Idea-ology Curio Knob on the cover.
I wrapped a piece of wrinkled seam tape around the canister, tying it in a double bow.
And to finish it off I adhered an Idea-logy Flash Card with a Big Chat sticker on it and 3 rhinestones.  I drew frames around the sticker and card with a black Stabilo pencil and rubbed it with my finger to soften.
 
I love my summer canister/vase - it's like a ray of summer sunshine inside the house!
I'm also linking my project to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - May Flowers

Happy weekend everyone!

Stamps:  Spatter Background - Wendy Vecchi Studio 490/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  Little Sizzles Black Matboard - Sizzix, Coredinations/Ranger Distress.
Ink:  Wency Vecchi Archival Watering Can, Ranger Distress Vintage Photo, Adirondack Snowcap.
Accessories:  Dies - Canister/Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Tattered Florals - Alterations/Tim Holtz, Idea-ology - Curio Knobs, Flashcards, Big Chat, Stabilo Black Pencil, rhinestones - Kaiser, foam dots, ScorTape, wrinkled seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop.

17 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Love the effects you achieved Julia and what a fabulous finished canister to hold your flowers xx

Annette Allen said...

oh my that is incredible.. awesome.. awesome..

Pamellia said...

Wow, just gorgeous Julia! I can't believe you achieved that amazing effect using embossing powders, awesome!! Love the summery colours you chose! What a great project. have a great weekend, hugs :)

~amy~ said...

LOVE what you've done!

Unknown said...

Absolutely Fabulous, Julia!! Completely LOVE this! This creation, with those beautiful flowers, is like a ray of sunshine!! Enjoy!! XOXO-Shari

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous ensemble Julia! So fun and creative! Love all the embossed details!

LauraVi said...

What a beautiful shiny project, thank you for the inspiration!!

Loll said...

Love the bright and cheerful colours of your canister Julia. Gorgeous design and love the layering of embossing powders and colours. Great job! xx

Redanne said...

Your flower container is gorgeous Julia, I love the mix of colours and the beautiful ribbon! This is such a lovely way to display your wonderful flowers. Thanks so much for joining in at Art With Heart this month! Hugs, Anne xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love how you have used the Canister die, the embossing powders look gorgeous and such summery colours too. This is the perfect gift idea and I love your picture with the vase of flowers. The flower on top is a lovely touch. Thanks so much for joining in with the Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge. Tracy x

Lisa H said...

very cool!! I love what you did with this project. =) Thank you for sharing it with us in the Art with Heart Challenge this month!

Monika Gulyas said...

This is lovely, Julia!

eileen hull said...

wow Julia- love how the black matboard looks with yellow embossing on top! Great idea and thanks for joining us on the Challenge this month!

Meme said...

Well done! This make a fabulous container for flowers and is perfect for Eileen's Art with Heart Challenge! Great work and good luck!

Deepti said...

This is lovely! I like that huge flower on the lid :)

Rachel said...

very pretty! what a great die to have and love what you created with it. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge and celebrating our first birthday!!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Diana said...

congrats on your win!! so glad you shared with us!!