Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Vintage Journey - Halloween: to die for!

 With this post - I am over the moon excited to tell you that I was selected to be a Creative Guide for the A Vintage Journey challenges!  I have been participating in their challenges for some time now - and I am SO excited (and nervous) to be working with so many creative vintage designers.  I know I'll learn so much about this genre being on this team.
So today I have my first project to share as a Creative Guide.  I was influenced by Tim's techniques - embossing my bottle, dying my ribbon with Distress Stains - using two of his dies and several Idea-ology pieces as I'll describe below.
 
Anne is our Host for this fortnight (do you love how I've become British!?! That's every other week for us State side folks!)  
And here is the challenge in her words  "Halloween is one of my favourite times of year, I love when the children come to the door, in their costumes, to 'trick or treat'. You do not have to make anything scary (but it would be fun if you did!) but you must use at least one die on your creation and it must be strongly influenced by Tim Holtz.  It can be a tag, card, canvas or mixed media piece."
  I have lots of photos to show you my creative process.
 I embossed an inexpensive clear glass bottle that I picked up at Michaels using Wendy Vecchi embossing powders in Orange Blossom with a little sprinkle of Watering Can.  I sponged Archival Orange Blossom ink all over the bottle (instead of Versamark) so the powder would stick to the glass. This is a technique I learned from Wendy Vecchi on her blog.
 I die cut the pieces below using Tims Halloween Shadows  die.  I inked the pieces with Watering Can Archival Ink and embossed with Wendy Vecchi Watering Can Embossing powder.  I didn't worry about getting total coverage with the powder - I actually brushed some off of the edges to give a more distressed look.
 Here's a close up of how it looks after embossing - you can see the spaces that were brushed off.
 I inked the cork of the bottle with Archival Orange Blossom ink and just sprinkled a little bit of Watering Can Embossing Powder over it - and it came out like this.
 I slipped the trunk of the die cut tree into a Memo Pin and stuck the pin through the cork - cutting off the point so no one would prick their finger on it if they removed the cork from the bottle!  I had glued one die cut bat and the owl onto the tree and added orange rhinestones for the owls eyes. I colored the Crinkle Ribbon by dabbing Walnut Stain and Spiced Marmalade Distress Stains on my Kraft Mat - spritzing with water and dragging the ribbon through the puddle.
 I did cut the gravestones using Tim's Graveyard die.  I added a skull and crossbones from Remnant Rub/Apothecary and a rhinestone to two of the stones.  I adhered it to the bottle with ScorTape and adhered the die cut Trick or Treat sentiment over the stones with foam dots
 I let the fun die cut row of Halloween Shadows run along the bottom of the bottle.  I adhered it with foam dots placed on the 4 heads in the center of the group.
 Of course, I couldn't leave the back of the bottle undecorated!
 I embossed the Alpha Parts Framed numbers with Orange Blossom just scattering a little bit of powder over the pieces after I inked it with Orange Blossom ink to hold the powder on (you have to be careful melting the powder on the plastic as the plastic can melt!).  I added a couple of Remnant Rubs/Apothecary and Label Letters to spell BOO.
 I hope I've given you a little inspiration with my Halloween - To Die For project today!

As always, our sponsor is Country View Crafts who is offering one winner, chosen by the Creative Guides, a £10 voucher to spend in their on-line shop.  

I hope you'll consider joining in on this Halloween challenge - you will find all the challenge details and the link up over at A Vintage Journey.  (Not to mention some MARVELOUS spookiness from the rest of the Creative Guides!  You MUST check them out!!

Paper:  True Black - Papertrey Ink
Ink:  Archival Orange Blossom and Watering Can.
Accessories:  Idea-ology - Memo Pins, Alpha Parts Framed, Remnant Rubs/Apothecary, Crinkle Ribbon, Label Letters; Ranger Distress Stains - Walnut Stain and Spiced Marmalade; Alterations dies - Halloween Shadows and Graveyard Die; clear bottle - Michaels, Mini Mister - Ranger, foam dots, ScorTape, Wendy Vecchi Embossing Powders Orange Blossom and Watering Can.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Halloweeen piece Julia! Love the tree at top with the bat taking off., I thinks what he's doing...lol. The little trick or treaters are so cute on this piece, I really should put this on my list. Wonderfully done. Karen.x

S@ndy Diller said...

Congrats on your first post with the team. Love your work and look forward to seeing many more.
Very well done.

Mona Pendleton said...

Yahoooo! Congrats Julia! So happy for you! So well deserved! Your project looks fantastic and quite spooky! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lesley said...

This is amazing, Julia! Congrats to you!

Redanne said...

Your project is absolutely stunning Julia (and it is wonderful to have you as part of the team!). I love how you used the Wendy embossing powder, it looks fantastic on your bottle. Really, really love this! Hugs, Anne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a fantastic creation Julia, wow, I love the idea of it for starters, and the way you have carried it out is just brilliant!! Great use of the dies too! Wonderful to have you on the team with us!!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a fabulous makeover of the bottle Julia - gorgeous colours and lots of wonderful details which all make for a stunning project. I love your work and I am so pleased you are with us on the AVJ team. Have a lovely weekend x

Juliz Design Post said...

Hi Julia, what a fabulous pitted effect you have managed to get on your bottle. Love the textures of powders on your little people and decorating it all the way round finishes your fab design to perfection.
Julie x

~amy~ said...

Yay Julia! Awesome news and Awesome project!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Congrats on the new gig! You are perfect for this team since you ROCK at creative projects like the one above!!

*Vicki* said...

WOW!! What a very cool and creative design Julia!! You do amazing work with your projects! Congrats on your new DT spot! HUGS :)

Terry said...

Welcome to AVJ and what a grand entrance you have made. Oh I just love your altered bottle and the little trick or treaters all lined up! Have a fabulous weekend!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous Julia!!

Jools Robertson said...

Fantastic! A brilliant first post
Love the colour and texture on the bottle and the embossed die cuts are fab
The cork looks amazing with the tree growing from it, with the dazzling eyed owl scaring the bat!

Jools x


Deepti said...

Congratulations on becoming the Creative Guide, I am sure you will be wonderful and guiding and inspiring everyone :) Your project is an example of how worthy u are :) Love all the details !

Jenny Marples said...

Aren't those embossing powders wonderful! I love the way you've transformed this bottle into a real spooky treat. Jenny x

Sue Lelli said...

So many GREAT details, Julia! And the glitter and the cork and that FAB bottle! LOVE it to pieces!

Annie said...

Its so fantastic to have you join us over at AVJ Julia and I am sure that we will also learn from you too.
I absolutely love your Halloween make. Such a fab idea to create this amazing 3D project using a bottle.
Wonderful details both front and back...Spooktacular !!

TFS and crafty hugs
Annie x

Anne Harada said...

Oh my word this is an AMAZING project Julia!! I love the technique used on the bottle, it looks fantastic! Congrats on your new appointment as Creative Guide for the Vintage challenges! Hugs, Anne

Nicole Wright Designs said...

EEK SPOOKTACULAR creation! Congratulations on your new position. I look forward to more inspiration.

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful piece! The embossing on the bottle looks amazing and I love the silhouette die at the bottom!

Michelle Woerner said...

Hey girl! this is such a masterpiece!! LOVE!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

a wow project, beautiful
bibiana

Nikki Acton said...

Lovely to have you on AVJ Julia and what a fabulous make! I love your bottle and the textures you have incorporated. Nikki xx

wendy vecchi said...

wow...wow...wow!
this is over the top adorable!
I love every little detail.
fabulous!

Maggie said...

Great Halloween make
MaggieH

crafty creations said...

This is amazing Julia and so original - total brilliance

Pamellia said...

Fantastic!! What a genius way to decorate a bottle, embossing powders...love it! I love the addition of the green ribbon! Wonderful Halloween project! hugs :)

sarascloset said...

I love your bottle--the color is just perfect for Halloween, and you've given it quite the distressed look. The treatment you gave the cork is just a wonderful example of the finishing details you have included here. Love it all!