Thursday, April 17, 2014

What Feelings Sound Like and Spring in the Woods

Today I have two creations to share -  one very clean and simple and the other a more detailed shadow box!
My card base and layered panel are Ranger Watercolor Paper.  I brushed on Ranger Distress Stains for my background and stamped the sentiment from Serendipity Stamps over the colors using Archival Watering Can Ink.
I'm linking this card to Cas-ology Cue Card NOTE
and Just Us Girls Water Colored Background (mine is actually Distress Stains - but they are brushed on and I did use watercolor paper (?!?)
I made my next project for a friend at work who asked me to make a special card for her mother's 80th birthday which is in July.  Her mother loves feeding the birds and being outdoors - she's an LL Bean kind of girl!
So after pondering what I might make for her - I remembered I had purchased this tree shadow box cut file from the Silhouette Shop. So I quickly cut it out with my Silhouette Cameo after deciding the colors for each layer and before assembling it I had to think about what I would add to it.  I decided the woods needed some sun, birds, grass and leaves!  The sun is made from Sunshine dies - large and small by Lil' Inker Designs.
The perfect day stamp is from the Sentimental Art set from Study 490 Wendy Vecchi.
The blue birds are from the Mini Bird and Cage die from Tim Holtz Alterations. The grass die  and sentiment banner are from My Favorite Things.  Happy Birthday and Mom are from Women of Life by Papertrey Ink.  I added green sequin 'leaves' to some of the branches.
I added a die cut Tim Holtz small easel cut from grunge board to the back so the box will stand up.
My friend said her mother will LOVE this shadow box -and will most likely place it on her kitchen windowsill where she can look at it every day!  It's nice to know that the receiver will appreciate the art we create isn't it?!
I'm entering my spring woods scene in a new challenge I just discovered -  Art With Heart Challenge - April Showers/Spring Theme


 Music card:
Stamps:  Music is what - Serendipity Stamps
Paper:  Watercolor paper - Ranger
Ink:  Archival Watering Can
Accessories:  Ranger Distress Stains - Worn Lipstick, Tumbled Glass, Scattered Straw

Woods Shadow Box:
Stamps:  Sentimental Art - Studio 490 Wendy Vecchi, Women of Life - PTI
Paper:  Ideology Grunge Board, Coredinations Canves Texture Ice Cream, Ranger Distress Coredinations blue and green, Simply Chartreuse , Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold and Blueberry Sky - PTI.
Ink:  Archival Watering Can
Accessories:  Fresh Cut Grass and Dimensional Banners Dies - MFT, Curly Label Punch - SU, Mini Bird and Cage  and small easel die- Tim Holtz Alterations, 1" circle punch - EK Success, Tiny Twinkles - Taylored Expressions, Lucky Blend sequins - Avery Elle, foam dots, ScorTape.


27 comments:

Lynn said...

Two amazing cards Julia. Love hoe they are such different styles and show off your amazing creativity.

Deepti said...

Great projects :) I love the tree shadow box and all the sweet details I did on it !

~amy~ said...

okay, wow.
I'm such a fan of watering so I love your first card! Your shadow box project is AMAZING. I think I've given up on my cameo...that thing is dusty :)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Oh Julia, these are both gorgeous. The shadow box is out of the world, and your first card is a feast for the eyes.

Ardyth said...

Beautiful cards, Julia! Love the simplicity of the watercolour and the complexity of the shadow box. So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

Marisa said...

Love the simplicity of the water coloured card :) Lovely colour wash against the cream! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls.

Lisa Kind said...

Watercoloring with distress stains is so ok. I used reinkers! Your card is simply beautiful! And your shadow box card is amazing! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow what a gorgeous shadow box, the dimension is amazing and I adore the tres and bird . I am sure this will be very thankfully received for her 80th birthday, something that will be treasured. Thanks so much for joining in the Eileen Hull April Showers theme , lovely to have you joining in. Tracy x

Anonymous said...

Julia, your card is just gorgeous...I love your sentiment and the music note as the 's'. And that shadow box is simply amazing, what an incredible work of art.

Annette Allen said...

love love love your water coloring and the 3-d frames is amazing.. very creative and super cute..

Elaine said...

Two very different cards but both amazing.
I absolutely adore your style ♥

CAS is the style I love the most but I just can't make them look right...yours have the WOW factor!

Big hugs
Elaine xx

Renee said...

LOVE that 1st card beyond words...
simply perfect! :)
And WOW!! That is a gorgeous scene and will be treasured for sure!

Betty Wright said...

Love the simplicity of the first one. The second is just WOW! Fabulously done!

Joan Ervin said...

Your card is beautiful, Julia, especially with the watercolored background and I am sooo blown away with the shadow box card...WOW!!! Every little detail looks fabulous, gf!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful projects Julia! Love the watercolored look on the first and the fun scene that you created on the second! I bet your friend's Mom will treasure this!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Your JUGS card is fabulous! Love it being a center focus -- and OF COURSE, your 3D project is awesome! Great creative day for you! thanks for joining in with JUGS!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

I love love your shadow box, so fresh and inviting
bibiana

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Super fun creation Julia, you are so versatile and creative, and thanks so much for your sweet comment for my post, happy easter to you and all!

Redanne said...

Your CAS card is beautiful but that shadow box is just incredible! How wonderful it will be for that lady to receive such a fabulous card for her special birthday. Anne x

Nancy said...

I have a journal that I keep that I jot things down in to hope someday use in a scrapbook... Just read through pages and pages yesterday and this is one of my all time favorites!!! Beautiful card!!! So glad I came by and saw this!! Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS,

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Julia, I love your diorama, but the CAS card just speaks to me! I think I'm going through a CAS phase or something! LOL.

HAPPY Easter, dear friend!
Hugs!

wienerhoneymooners said...

WOW Julia, amazed again by your creativity and wondrous loveliness in the Music card!! This is a high level masterpiece!!

Thanks for joining us at CASology, and just think this is so perfect for the Just for Girls!!!! WOW!

Jen W. said...

Julia, these are both amazing! I love how perfectly you can execute CAS and detailed 3D works! The sentiment on the first card is lovely and perfect against the inked background. And your shadow box card? Seriously awesome! So many great little details! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Gillian R said...

Beautiful beautiful cards. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology

Shirley said...

Lovely Ranger art card! The shadow box birthday card is a real treasure, Julia, and she loved it I know!

OH Babs said...

Congrats on your honorable mention at CASology. I love the softness of the watercolor card. The second card looks difficult, but lovely.

OH Babs said...

Congrats on your honorable mention at CASology. I love the softness of the watercolor card. The second card looks difficult, but lovely.