Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Steam Punk Nipper Winston

I've got a cool metal foil card to share with you today!
For this fun steam punk background I embossed a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"  piece of foil sheet tape with the Riveted Metal Embossing folder by Tim Holtz.  I then hand embossed some more lines with an embossing tool and  pressed some circles inside the squares using the tip of a click-open pen (without the ink clicked on).  Next I painted over the whole sheet with black acrylic paint - rubbing most of it off after I applied it.  I also rubbed some Rub N Buff Autumn Gold Wax metallic cream over some of it and buffed it with a paper towel.
 
 My cute little aviator is a digital image from Octopode Factory named Steam Punk Nipper Winston. I colored him with Copics. The sentiment is from Waltzingmouse and I die cut it with a Wonky Rectangle Nestability. Both are layered onto the foil with foam dots.
I made this card for the Technique challenge over on Split Coast.  I feel like I cheated a little using an embossing folder to create my foil background instead of hand tooling the whole thing  (!)   There's a great video on You Tube showing how to make your own metallic foil background here:

I actually learned this technique last May at a class with Tim Holtz - You can see the heart I made at that class on my blog post here.

Stamps: Digi Image - Steam Punk Nipper Winston - The Octopode Factory Etsy Shop, sentiment from Free Spirit Sentiments - Waltzingmouse
Paper: white - PTI
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories: Foil Tape Sticky Back sheets 6"x12" - Ranger, black acrylic paint, brush, Riveted Metal Embossing Folder - Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations, Copics: BG32, BG10, E00, E31, E37, N6, N12, R20, Wonky Rectangle Nestabilities, Rub n Buff Autumn Gold Wax Metallic Cream

6 comments:

Sheila in Cyprus said...

Oh I love this.

What a fabulous image. I have 2 teenage Grandsons who will love these images. Thanks for introducing me to the site.

Must have a go at your background it looks really interesting and ideal for male cards.

Love Sheila x

*Vicki* said...

AH!! What a cute little guy!! I love your fabulous background!! So clever!!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fun card Julia! The embossed riveted background is the perfect match with the cute image!

Renee said...

This is awesome Julia...
I LOVE that background!
Perfect for this steampunk guy! :)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, you really created a gorgeous background -- perfect with the image.

Dianne said...

I'm not a steampunk girls but this card is fabulous, the background you created looks fabulous, you have colored that image perfectly all punky, thanks for sharing..