Sunday, July 7, 2013

Keep Calm and Craft On

I am struggling with the new Mixed Media Color challenges that Mona and Sue are running every other Friday -  I love the idea of using all kinds of paints, sprays and pastes on projects -  but it is not yet coming naturally to me -  I think, when I sit down,  I'm trying to copy examples I have seen - and, of course, when it's not natural, it doesn't come out well!!

After several false starts -  I pushed everything off my work table and started again. The hardest thing for me is to wait for the different mediums to dry - as I usually only have a little time for stamping/crafting between work, church and keeping up the garden!   I need to learn to set aside more small pieces of time so the layers can dry!

For this week - the colors to use were yellow, pink and peach.

So - starting with a piece of colored card stock and adding one element at a time I finally created this mixed media piece.  I used acrylic paint and Walnut Ink spray for my two media elements.

I brushed pink acrylic paint over the peachy card stock, then added the dots using bubble wrap with yellow acrylic paint.  I stamped the grid in the corner with black ink as well as the sentiments.  I die cut the Keep Calm stampings with Labels 20 Nestabilities and sponged it before taking it out of the die.  Then I sprayed the whole thing with Cherry blossom Walnut Ink.
 It's a 6x6 piece - and it sort of speaks to my creative issues in learning a new craft!   I will hang this over my work table to remind myself to keep calm and just let the creative juices flow where they will!!
The Keep Calm stamps are from We are Memory Keepers - the sentiments are from Clearly Sentimental  about Art by MFT.

I think with each project, this Mixed Media craft will come easier to me - and until I find 'my' style - I will just KEEP CALM AND CRAFT ON!

I'm also entering this in the Blogger's Challenge - to create your own background!

Stamps:  Keep Calm - Clear Stamps, Clearly Sentimental Art - MFT, Distressed Grid - Cornish Heritage Farms.
Paper:  Summer Sunrise - PTI, DP Sidewalks 8x8 pad October Afternoon.
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Ranger Distress Wild Honey
Accessories: Acrylic Paints - Hydrangea Pink/Ceramacoat, Jonquil - Martha Stewart.  Cherry Blossom Walnut Ink - Tsukineko, bubble wrap, Labels 20 Nestability.


14 comments:

Joanne Travis said...

I think you did an amazing job with this medium! It's a good thing for us to stretch a bit past our comfort zones, I know what you mean though. I love the look of collage and never feel I can quite pull it off, it looks so haphazard when I do it :)
Your work is always SO beautiful, Julia.

Mona Pendleton said...

Julia, it sure doesn't appear that you are struggling! Your project is beautiful! I love the background you created and that sentiment is awesome! Thank you so very much for joining along with A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so COOL!!!

stampingbowd said...

I think this is a great mixed media piece and it jumps out of the page! I love playing with the mixed media but I don't know what I am doing most of the time! I think I will just adopt your sentiment to keep calm and craft on because I do love it. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to wait around for things to dry! Love your bubble wrap dots! Had fun looking at this and can't wait to see your next project!

Lauri said...

You did a great job! I have tried a little of mixed media, and would love to really learn how to do it! I will check out the challenge and keep this picture handy! It is bright and fun and very inspiring!

Heidi said...

Julia I think you did a beautiful job! I'm struggling with mixed media and I really want to give it a good try so you've inspired me to jump back in. :)

Lisa Somerville said...

Fabulous Mixed Media piece Julia, love the addition of the bubble wrap for texture! Thanks for playing along with the Bloggers Challenge!

Sue Lelli said...

Julia, I just LOVE the sentiments you used on this piece and how you are going to have this where you craft to inspire you! It really is Wonderful and doesn't look like you are struggling at all. As far as waiting for drying, I tend to do layers in stages and do something else while I'm waiting. This 6 x 6 is just FAB! THX for playing with us at A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

Pauline said...

You look like a natural to me Julia!! Love these hot colours, and fab stamping, a real work of art. And I love these great quotes too.

Dianne said...

You got it now Miss Julia,it will come easier to you, you have done a fabulous job, your background is gorgeous, you really have created a mixed media beauty, I knew you would be good at it, Love you delving into new territories,its so exciting, thanks for sharing all of this and have a wonderful week..

*Vicki* said...

WOW! I love your technique design and colors here Julia! Brilliant word art too! :)

Ella Swan said...

Looks to me like you are doing wonderfully well. Personally I think a little mixed media goes a long way on a page & playing with different things is fun - keep at it!!

Riet said...

What a beautifu card Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Ella Swan said...

Some great sayings there! Mixed media really is such fun!!