Thursday, June 1, 2017

June CAS Mix Up Challenge - Embossing Paste

The June CAS Mix Up Challenge is posted today!  Loll is our host and this is her challenge:
 For my CAS card I used stamping, white embossing paste with a stencil, and rhinestones.
I have a few photos of how I did the embossing paste panel.  I layered my Bloom Boldly stencil from Stamplorations onto a piece of Hawaiian Shores card stock.  I taped down the edges with blue painters tape so nothing would move as I spread out the paste.
I spread Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste over the stencil using a palette knife, layering it on thick to get it all covered, then scrapping off the excess smoothly across the stencil.
I removed the tape, then carefully lifted up the stencil.  I wiped off the excess paste on the stencil immediately and then washed it clean.  I let the panel dry overnight.
I cut my panel into two smaller pieces (~3 3/4" x 3") and was able to make 2 cards!
For this first one, I layered the panel over a white card,  white embossed the sentiment from Off Beat Birthday by PTI onto a black strip and layered that over the panel using foam dots.  
Even though the foam dots and rhinestones have adhesive on them - I added glue to the ones that were over the embossing paste as I have found things stick better over the thick uneven embossing paste if you use glue.
For my 2nd card I left the embossing paste panel open to fully appreciate the texture of the paste and design of the stencil, stamping another sentiment from Off Beat Birthday beneath the panel.
I finished both cards by adding simple blue rhinestones for a little bling!

Please check out the June CAS Mix Up Challenge for inspiration from the rest of the Design Team, videos on various ways to use embossing paste/gel, see our guest designer Marianne's inspired card and check out the rules of the challenge!  Can't wait to see how you use embossing paste or gels!  You have until June 24th to link up!

Also linking my card to:
Seize the Birthday
 Just Us Girls
 House Of Cards
AAA Cards
Time Out Challenge
Flowers and Friends



Stamps:  Off Beat Birthday - PTI
Ink:  Versamark, True Black - PTI
Paper:  white, True Black, Hawaiian Shores - PTI
Accessories:  Bloom Boldly stencil - STAMPlorations/ARTplorations, Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste, pallet knife, Rhinestones - Kaiser Craft, foam dots, Tombow Adhesive.

18 comments:

Loll said...

Two amazing cards, Julia. I never think to add embossing paste over coloured card stock ... this is so cool!! Love the design with the turquoise and white with a small hit of black. Awesome colour combo. xx

Mac Mable said...

Such classy cards. Love that amazing stencil you've used and the crispness of the white paste against the coloured card stock is amazing x

nancy littrell said...

I agree with Loll, Love your embossing paste over colored cardstock. TFS your beautiful CAS design my friend. Hugs..

Bonnie said...

The white embossing paste on the blue is gorgeous, Julia! Wow! I love both of these cards!

Susanne Vargas said...

The white paste looks fantastic on the colored card stock! Love it!

sandie said...

What superb texture and using the paste over the coloured card gives a lovely CAS feel to your card. Thanks for joining us at Time Out Challenges

Jane said...

Beautiful precise use of embossing paste, so neat and impressive. Thanks for joining in with AAA Cards 3rd birthday celebrations.

Nancy said...

Love your step by step photos and your end result is ,ovally! Great card and thanks for being with us at Just Us Girls this week!

Susan said...

Love the white paste over the bright tropical blue - perfect for the stencil's image! Both are fabulous cards!

Anita in France said...

These are both gorgeous, Julia ... fresh, crisp and deliciously texture-y ... love the white against the yummy blue background! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

Lizzie T a/k/a Wifelady said...

LOVE these!

Sazzle Dazzle said...

These are absolutely beautiful Julia. Totally chic, feminine and elegant and I love that delicate blue cardstock. Thanks for playing along in our 3rd birthday challenge at AAA Cards this week.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Hey Chick! - What a great stencil -- love the texture with the paste too. Thanks for joining in at STB~

Jo said...

Love this, white embossing paste over coloured paper. Such a beautiful stencil too, just a piece of the panel and the card is done! Brilliant! xx

craftysahmiam said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely, textured CAS cards and how you made them with us at House of Cards !

Mynn xx said...

These are both amazing, Julia! I LOVE that you were able to make two cards with your panel, too! Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with us at House of Cards! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx

PS: I'd love for you to link this up with us at MHKDesigns, too, if you have a chance! :)

Marcia Hill said...

Two absolutely BEAUTIFUL cards Julia! I'm with the rest of the commenters about never having thought of using the white paste on colored cardstock, but absolutely LOVE how it turned out! Lovely, lovely cards!! :0)

Jane Knudsen said...

Gorgeous cards! I love embossing paste and you really made the paste shine on these cards! Wow! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!