Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Embroidery Hoop Stand Up Birthday Card

This is my last project for March showcasing Eileen Hull's new dies called the Heart Felt Collection, that were introduced at Creativation in January.
Today I have a birthday 'card' that looks like an embroidery project and stands up with an easel attached to the back!
I have used Eileen's Embroidery Hoop die and her Heart Felt Birds and Butterflies Thinlits die set along with the HAPPY from her Heartfelt Word Stitchlits Thinlits die set.
I layered the white cardstock die cut butterfly over the solid felt die cut butterfly and she is flying above the felt die cut branch!   I die cut and embroidered the HAPPY beneath the branch and added a stamped birthday sentiment strip with a little felt flower from the Heartfelt Stitchy Flowers and Leaf  Thinlits die set.
Here is how I attached the die cut easel on the back.
Here are a few photos showing how I put this together with Eileen's embroidery hoop die.
I laid a 5"x5" square of cotton over the back of the hoop and placed the front of the hoop over the cotton.  The front hoop is cut from cream matboard and Tan Paper Leather from Sizzix that I glued together and I silver embossed the metal piece.
I pressed the back of the hoop with my fingernail so it was inside the outer front piece (like it would be on a wooden embroidery hoop!).  I die cut this piece out of cream mat board.
I added all the pieces along with some light blue rhinestones.
I attached the Tim Holtz die cut Easel to the back, cutting off a piece of the top as it was too tall being sure the bottom edge lined up with the bottom of the cotton.
I sponged the edges of the cotton with Ranger Distress Antique Linen to age it.

Be sure to check out Eileen Hull's blog - she has been posting our projects using her new dies all month and you are sure to find some wonderful inspiration!



4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow! That is absolutely amazing! What a beautiful way to use that die - love your pretty spring creation!

Redanne said...

This would be such a fabulous gift for someone who loves embroidery - such a clever idea Julia and beautifully executed. LOVE it!!! Hugs, Anne xx

Bonnie said...

WOW! Wonderful dimension and textures, Julia! Very creative!

SewPaperPaint said...

What a great idea! The stand is such a genius concept and works beautifully with your felt piecework! Love it! Hugs, Autumn