Friday, January 20, 2017

Every Moment Matters

Today I made a card for Darnell's Blog birthaversary Surprise NBUS Challenge!   She is celebrating so many things you will just have to check it out here to see what all the hubbub is about.
Anyhoo -  the bottom line is that she would like us to use an NBUS while using colored pencils on kraft card stock (jump on one foot and twirl around at the same time too!?  just kidding!!!......)
Here's what I made:
and here's what I used
The flower stamp is my NBUS - it's from a stamp set called Artful Life by Wendy Vecchi - I've used other stamps in the set (such as this sentiment) but not this particular flower.  I used colored pencils and Gamsol - a technique that you can find on YouTube and Splitcoast stampers.
I black embossed my flowers and the Gamsol seemed to melt it a little so there are some dark smudges as well as the colors -  but I kind of like the shadowy look!  I laid a Check Mate stencil over the panel and colored in some of the squares randomly with a colored pencil - trying to ground the flowers a bit.   Then I just added 3 sequins.
I haven't used the Gamsol colored pencil coloring technique in many years but did have all the supplies in a drawer in my craft room!  You can see other cards I have made using this technique here.   I need to practice it more - but this will do for now!

Some come and join us over at Darnell's NBUS challenge -  she's running one every week for 3 weeks for her special celebration!   See it all here.  Thanks for making stamping so much fun Sis!

Stamps:  Artful Life - Wendy Vecchi Studio 490/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  Kraft - PTI
Ink:  Archival Jet Black, Versamark
Accessories:  Gamsol, paper stump, Fantasia Color Pencils, Check Mate Stencil - Wendy Vecchi/SA,  black embossing Powder, heat tool, sequins - Neat and Tangled.

11 comments:

JennyH said...

This is lovely Julia, you can't go wrong with purple and it looks great on the kraft : )

Kath said...

A beautiful card and I love the purple on kraft.
Kath x

*Vicki* said...

I love your purple over the kraft Julia!! Stunning card!

Jo said...

Purple on Kraft paper, I would have never thought of that. It really works, nice job!

Lisa Lara said...

OOh fun Julia. I like the bit of color for the bg.

Susan said...

Never would have thought to use coloured pencils with a stencil! It gives a nice soft subtle background for those lovely flowers.

Loll said...

LOVE this design Julia. The stenciled background works so perfectly with those beautiful flowers. Happy accident with the gamsol providing some shading by melting a bit of the embossing. :) xx

Redanne said...

I so wanted to join in but I am so rubbish at colouring on Kraft! I love your flowers (and the stamp which I have never used before either) and the stencilling and sequins are perfect finishing touches on your beautiful card. Hugs, Anne xx

Bonnie said...

Pretty flowers, Julia and I love the stenciling! What a great way to ground the flowers! Don't be twirling too much now...

Darnell said...

Haha, sis, look for me to add an exercise element to my next challenge! Great idea!! I love your stenciled and colored card and, hey, look at you having all the goodies already! I have stumps around here somewhere (just nevermind!), but no Gamsol. I want to get some and try the blending, so thanks for the tip about the black embossing and thanks for tackling the optional theme! And, of course, thank you for playing in my NBUS Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

Claire Grantham said...

Hey Julia, love your card, came across it in the NBUS gallery, then realised you had left me a comment last week! Hope you are taking it easy following your back surgery, retirement sounds nice, I suspect much more time will be spent in your craft room ;) My surgery went well, I am mobile, slow, stiff, but super happy with the way it all went and the change it will make to my quality of life. Thank you for leaving a sweet comment, I appreciate that. Cx