Sunday, October 9, 2016

Skull Trophies

Getting down to the wire for my church fair which is on Oct 21st and 22nd - two friends and I sell things on our Stamped Cards and Crafts Table and I'm working on Halloween projects!  And I'm SO excited about how my little Skull Trophies came out!
 I bought these little 1 3/4 wide x 2" (head to jaw) skulls at Joann.  They came in a bag of 12 and were tied with a string with smaller skulls strung on the string - How could I leave them in the store even though I didn't know what I'd do with them??
I loved the little bottle brush trees Tim did last year in his Idea-ology Trophy Cups and wondered if the skulls would fit on them?  And, YES,  they did!  Looking a little top heavy but they fit!
So here's what I gathered for supplies.  I glued purple, red and gold rhinestones into the eye sockets.  I rusted the silver trophy cups by painting them with black acrylic paint and then sprinkling cinnamon over the paint and letting them dry.
I die cut Thinlit Wildflowers out of black card stock, cut small pieces off and taped them inside the back half of the trophies.  The skulls hit the rim of the trophy at two spots on the jaw and on the back of the base of the skull - so I attached them to the rim on those spots with glue.
My idea was that the wildflowers  would look sort of like the upturned collar on Dracula's cape but in a more airy dead-looking way. (!)
I rubbed Picket Fence Distress paint over Typed Tokens Halloween making sure the paint got into the letters and then wiped over the token to remove some of the paint.  I dropped some Mushroom alcohol ink over the Spiders but didn't end up using them.  
Here are two of the Trophy Cups all rusted up.
So here are Trick or Treat, Beware and Fright (named for their Typed Tokens!)
followed by Spooky, Scary and Wicked.  
I know it's hard to tell in the photos, but they each have slightly different facial feature shadows so their mother is able to tell them apart.  Other than that, they do look frighteningly alike!!
I tied two 12" pieces of wrinkled seam tape in orange and black around the trophies - the seam tape make such a great bow!  And I added the Typed Tokens Halloween with a Loop Pin through the trophy handle.
A great little spooky decoration for Halloween don't you think??!

I'm linking my project to:

I was inspired by the colors, the spooky house and the skull family!

Paper:  True Black - PTI
Accessories:  plastic skulls - Joann, Wild Flower Thinlit dies - Tim Holtz, Picket Fence Distress Paint, Idea-ology Trophy Cups, Typed Tokens Halloween, Loop Pins, Black Acrylic Paint, Cinnamon, rhinestones - Kaiser Craft, wrinkled seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop.

10 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully spooky and such a great idea xxx

Juliz Design Post said...

What a super idea Julia and I'm sure these will go down a treat at your church fete.
Julie x

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh Julia, those are fabulously spooky, well done! Deb xo

A Pink said...

these are super! Julia . Love your creative use of the wildflower dies and the trophy cups - very clever.
Such a great way to showcase those skulls. Sure they will be popular at your fete x

Sue said...

Julia these are brilliant, great fun and those skulls are fab! xx

Redanne said...

You definitely could NOT leave those skulls behind - they have such characterful expressions and I just love how you made trophies from this - clever and fabulous Julie!! Hugs, Anne xx

Redanne said...

P.S. I am thrilled that you added these inspirational trophies to the challenge too! xxx

Mona Pendleton said...

Wowza Julia! Amazing! Your skull trophies are quite impressive! Thanks for the inspiration!

sue :) said...

They are fab, fun little works of art perfect for Halloween.

Jenny Marples said...

Those truly are adorable and spooky! Bet they were a huge hit xx