Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Framed Kitchen Message Center

This month the Eileen Hull Inspiration Team will be working with Crescent Art Products along with Eileen's new Sizzix collection Paper Flower Party
The Inspiration Team will be focusing on two Crescent Art Products, RENDR paper and Photo Mat Art Board.
RENDR Paper is 100% no-show through.  This means you can ink, stamp, spray, paint and color to your heart’s content with absolutely no bleed through.
Photo Mat Art Board is another fantastic Crescent product being showcased this month.  Photo Mat Art Boards make it easy to create professional quality photo projects with your own artistic style.

Today I'm sharing a project using the 11" x 14" Crescent Photo Mat Artboard.  
I also used several of Eileen's Sizzix new dies -  Flower Romance, Flower Pocket and Leaves Spring.
 I made a Kitchen Message Center.
 I purchased the gray woodgrain frame from Michaels (at 60% off!) and the mat fit in it perfectly!)
Here are some photos of my creative process:  Using Eileen's Flower, Romance die - I die cut 8 of each of the 4 blossom layers out of Tissue Wrap/Melange.  The tissue is so thin I just folded it over so I got all of the cuts with one roll through my Vagabond machine.  I also cut a base piece of white card stock to give a firm base for my layered pieces.
I laid all the pieces on some computer paper in my trusty pizza box that I use for spraying things.  I sprayed all the petals with Ranger Distress Spray Stain in Picked Raspberry and Spiced Marmelade.
When they were dry, I scrunched up each piece - keeping them in piles by size!  I then opened them up and fastened them all together with a pearl brad
I pulled up all of the circles to the center to fluff them - then gently pulled the outside ones open.
 I added the bloom to the white card stock piece I had cut and stained.  I also glued the leaves, described below, under the tissue flower.
I die cut two leaves using Eileen's Leaves, Spring die out of Core'dinations Tim Holtz Distress paper.  I added dimension with this flower tool, pressing it over the centers of petals and stems to break down the fibers of the paper.
I used the pizza box again to lay the white Crescent Photo Mat Artboard in and sprayed it with Ranger Distress Spray Stain in Peacock Feathers.  I ended up adding a little more spray than shown here -  but still had some white showing.  Then dried it with my heat tool. 
You will see below, how it got blended into a more solid color when I brushed on the Collage Medium - an unintended blending of color!)
I die cut Eileen's Flower Pocket out of Little Sizzles Matboard, put it together, and sprayed it with Ranger Distress Spray Stain in Peeled Paint.  I sprayed it a little heavy handed so blotted up the excess with a paper towel!
I wanted to seal both the Photo Mat Board and the Flower Pocket so brushed on Ranger Distress Collage Medium - Crazing.   
And as stated above - it reacted with the spray stain and made the color blend out and I lost my white patches.
The Collage Medium gave the added benefit of some subtle crackle!  Here's a close up of the Photo Mat
and the Flower Pocket.
Since I was making a message center - I decided to add a little black board inside the cut out frame area.  I simply traced the size of the mat opening onto my purchased frame back, cut a piece of  Blackboard Contact Paper larger than the cut out and adhered it over my outline.  I removed the glass from the frame, added the colored Crescent Photo Mat and placed the backing piece behind it.
I thought this little Idea-ology Vial would hold the piece of chalk nicely upright inside the Flower Pocket.  I adhered it into the pocket with a thick clear adhesive dot.
I added an Idea-ology Fastener/Dapper to the Pocket as well as the flower, adhered the pocket to the Crescent Photo Mat using Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive and added the chalk (in the vial), a pen, chalk board eraser and mini Post It Notes.
 I added Idea-ology Alpha Parts Numeric to the Photo Mat Frame.
I adhered a square of corkboard from Joann to the Crescent Photo Mat.  I added more Alpha Parts/Framed (Note to Self) and some clear pushpins - all set to hold the notes of things I need to remember!
And here it is again -  on the wall in my kitchen!
I hope I've inspired you with my project using the Crescent Photo Mat Artboard as well as Eileen's lovely new dies!  Please check Eileen's Blog for more ideas from her Inspiration Team all month long!

I'm linking my project to the following:
Anniversary -  #15 Get Texty, #18 Texture, #23 Dimension, #24 Butterflies or Blooms.

(mine is subtle - but it's there!)

 Paper:  Crescent Photo Mat Artboard 11" x 14", Cream Little Sizzles Matboard 6" x 12" Sizzix, Chalk Board Contact Paper, White card stock - Papertrey Ink, Idea-ology Tissue Wrap/Melange, green Core'dinations Tim Holtz Distress.
Accessories:  Eileen Hull Sizzix Dies - Flower/Romance, Flower Pocket, Leaves/Spring, Distress Collage Medium Crazing - Ranger, Ranger Distress Spray Stains Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmelade, Peacock Feathers, Peeled Paint, cork board - Staples, ScorTape, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive, Idea-ology Fasteners/Dapper, Vials, Alpha Parts Framed, Alpha Parts Numeric, Wood grain frame - Michaels.

12 comments:

Pamellia said...

What a great project idea Julia! I love the big blossom and the colours are so bright and cheery! Love it. hugs :)

Words and Pictures said...

Fresh, bright and funky - this will put a smile on your face every time you need to leave a message I'll bet! Great work with the dies, Julia!
Alison x

sarascloset said...

Great and useful project, Julia! I love the bright crazed background (you achieved wonderful results!) and your flower is lovely! Beautiful message center! Hugs!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fantastic project Julia! All the crackled detail looks amazing! Your flower is stunning! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

Loll said...

LOVE this project Julia. Great way to use our card making techniques to create not only a useful message board, but one that is filled with colourful art that makes us happy. Very cool! xx

Monika Gulyas said...

What a fabulous and practical project Julia! I love to create useful home decorating objects too! And I can find many brilliant ideas on your board! The flower is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is terrific!!! LOVE the flower!

Diana said...

what an awesome project!!! love the idea and that flower ... yummy!!!

Kim Heggins said...

This is amazing...is there anything you can not do??? Just love your wonderful projects!

Unknown said...

Great project - I love using mixed media for everyday items! I would totally hang this on my wall!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge's 2nd Anniversary!!

SewPaperPaint said...

This is amazing!!!

Donna said...

Julia this is such an awesome idea! WOW! Love it!