Thursday, December 3, 2015

December A Vintage Journey Challenge - Vintage Christmas

I am excited to be one of the Creative Guides participating in our December A Vintage Journey Challenge -  Annie's challenge for us is Vintage Christmas! The challenge in her words:  "Use your dies, stamps, rub-ons, anything you choose, to create a vintage Christmas card, Home decor piece or gift for someone special."  
I was excited to break out my Village Dwelling die along with the Village Bell Tower and Village Winter to create my Vintage Christmas Church. 
 I made my miniature church in tan and brown to match my own church - 
St. John's Episcopal, in Saugus, MA
I have a few photos to show how I inked my walls and roof pieces.  I cut the walls out of Fine Linen cardstock from Papertrey Ink - it's a good weight for the structure walls.  To get the look of the wood slats on the church I used the Stripes stencil with Distress Tea Dye Ink and then sponged over each piece with the Tea Dye Ink.
I cut pieces out of Frosted and glued them over the window openings from the inside.
To give the look of shingles to the roof pieces - I used Wendy Vecchi's Check Mate Stencil with Ground Espresso Distress Ink and then sponged all the edges and creases with the same ink.
After assembling the pieces I added the icicles from the Village Winter die cut from Frosted.  I made my own snow by rubbing some Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste onto the peaks.  I bought the green snowy bottle brush tree at Joann's (50% off  for a package of 8 in various sizes!)  Here's one side.
View from the back.  I cut the base out of a piece of White Glitter paper from Michaels, it's thicker than cardstock so makes for a sturdy base.
Here's the other side
Tim recommends not attaching the house to the base so that you can put a flickering battery candle inside.
It was hard to photograph to show the wonderful glow through the Frosted windows - but you can hopefully get the idea.  IRL the candle flickers and it looks SO COOL!
Tim has some great YouTube videos with tips on putting together these Village Dwelling dies and suggestions on what kind of papers to use.  I love how my very first one came out and look forward to creating more in many styles!
We hope you will join us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge - and link up your Vintage Christmas project!  You will find lots of beautiful inspiration from the other Creative Guides here.

I'm also linking my Christmas Church to:
Frilly and Funkie: Tis the Season Challenge

Stamps and Stencils:  Grungy Christmas (I used stencils)
 

27 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

This is over-the-top FABULOUS!! I love the added light too -- seriously, you so ROCK at ABC projects!!

SusanK said...

Fabulous! And creating it in the image of your own church makes it even more special. I just made a church with stone walls and a little red schoolhouse today. I love, Love, LOVE these dies and can't wait to see what others are in store for us next year.

Nancy Dynes said...

Your candle lit church is inspired, Julia! I love that you created it after your own church, giving it even deeper meaning. Thank you so much for sharing your art with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge! Merry Christmas!
Hugs,
Nancy

Astrid Maclean said...

What a delightful little church Julia, the details are fantastic!! I have seen quite a few of these around, but yours is one of my favourites so far, brilliant! You must attend a truly beautiful church if it inspired you to create this, it's stunning!

Brenda Brown said...

Julia your little church is utterly gorgeous and how lovely that you modelled it on your own church that you attend. I haven't succumbed to these dies yet but I am so tempted after seeing how you have used them.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxx

Redanne said...

Julia, your church is so beautiful, I love this die (as you know) and you have used it so beautifully to create a little replica of your own church. I love the way you did the roof, it looks amazing - and even more stunning all lit up. I love the icicles too, such a great finishing touch! Love this. Hugs, Anne xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous Julia !!! What a wonderful idea to use this die to create something so close to your heart. Gorgeous colours and textures and wonderful when lit. I haven't used my dies properly yet other than to make some fun houses with the grandchildren, but you really have inspired me to get going on it this weekend. Thank you ! Jennie x

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Julia! I love the addition of the snow and icicles, and it lights up too!! How fun and festive is that! hugs :)

Words and Pictures said...

Oh Julia, your frosty little church looks just adorable! Wonderful detailing on the wood slats and the tiled roof, and the snowy finish is delightful. Lovely to have the tree as well as the illumination of course!
Alison xx

Samra said...

WOW! Stunning work Julia!

Samra

Paper Talk with Samra

Candy C said...

Julia.... Your little village church is stunning. I am still waiting to get my diecut! You have done an absolutely beautiful job on this. I love all of your texture that you have achieved. The frosted windows and the candle inside make for such a warm glowing window effect.

wendy vecchi said...

this is perfect! I love your attention to the tiny details!

S@ndy Diller said...

Fabulous project Julia - looks like the real thing. Your attention to detail is amazing. S@ndy xx

Joanne said...

I LOVE this, Julia! There are so many beautiful little details that make this project so fabulous. Now I need that die, I love churches and village houses for holiday decorating. Love that this one has a tea light inside, it gives it such warmth.

A Pink said...

Your fabulously handcrafted church is worthy of celebration! Julia The love you clearly have shines through in your creativity. Your use of the stencils to create the ooden slatted walls and shingle roofs is so clever. Love the frosted windows and icicles too . Of course I couldn't forget to mention the candle and how it lights up your church giving it a real welcome warmth . x

Deb said...

Julia, your Christmas church is amazing! Brilliant idea to use the stripes stencil to simulate the wood siding and the check mate stencil for the roof. I love the frosted film on the windows, it must be absolutely magical lit up at night! The touches of snow on the roof and the frosty base add the perfect touch of winter wonder, thanks so much for sharing your vintage Christmas church, love it! Deb xo

Loll said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!! :) This is AMAZING!! And yes, I'm shouting. :) Very cool project. LOVE your church ... the lighting makes it even more special. Great design, fantastic elements. You are a creative genius! xx

Annie said...

I absolutely love your beautiful Church Julia and thank you for sharing the amazing details x very cleverl use of the stencil's and how wonderful that it lights up.......fabulous !!!!

Sending huge hugs Annie x

Sue from Oregon said...

This is so cool Julie...love how you stenciled the roof! ♥ Sue Kment

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...you are so amazing. What a wonderful creation.

Maggie said...

Gorgeous creation loving these dies
MaggieH

Terry said...

Julia, your church is gorgeous! I love the way you used that die!

Jenny Marples said...

LOVE that you've matched your church to your church Julia!!! Great use of stencilling and it looks beautiful lit up (get those issues!) Love it. Jenny x

Pamellia said...

Just popped back in to say Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Tis the Season' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Jenny Marples said...

Back to say thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie! Jenny x

toni said...

Love your miniature church Julia! Lovely details, and it looks so cosy with the tealight on! Thankyou so much for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x

Julia S-W said...

Beautiful little church scene made from your village die! Love the tree outside too.Thanks so much for joining my final challenge at Stamps & Stencils. Julia xx