Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Vintage Journey August Challenge - Things with Wings

Welcome to the August A Vintage Journey Challenge -  Anne is our creative hostess this month.  Her theme is Things with Wings and with all the lovely papers, stamps and dies Tim has designed - she is asking us to use butterflies, dragonflies or birds on our project.
I created a framed burlap panel wall hanging.  It includes a Bird Crazy bird, two butterflies and a bee!

I've had the Bird Crazy stamp set for a while now but every time I tried to color one up - I just couldn't do it justice. (I don't really like to color but LOVE the birds!)  I went to Pinterest to find some inspiration for my coloring and came upon this beautiful bird. Wouldn't you love to see this bird at your back yard bird feeder?!
I have a few photos showing how I created my framed burlap project.  
I started by spreading some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture Paste unevenly over the front and sides.  I wanted to get lots of texture like in my inspiration photo.
After it dried and the crackles showed up - I colored it using Ranger Distress Spray Stains in Picked Raspberry and Cracked Pistachio.  I also embossed the bottom with a sprinkle of Frantage Shabby White Embossing Powder, again, to emulate my inspiration photo.
I die cut the Mini Cabinet Die from Grungeboard and used the Wendy Vecchi Basically Bricks stencil with Bone Art Anthology Stone Effects.  When this dries, it feels rough, just like stone or brick.
In trying to make my bird look like my inspiration photo, I stamped it twice, cutting out the eyes and wing section from one of the stampings (the way the new dies will cut the pieces when I get them!).  I colored all the pieces with 3 different colors of purple Copics and then brushed over the wing and the full body with Distress Crackle Paint/Clear Rock Candy.  I used Glossy Accents over the cut out eyes.  Then I let it all dry.  When dry, I adhered the pieces over the main body with foam tape.  I think the crackle looks very much like the separate feathers on the bird in the photo.
I rubbed some Nutmeg Antiquing Medium over the brick wall then added some Botanical Remnant Rub florals, a bee and sentiment (take flight).  The sentiment word balloon is a die from Jillian Vance Design cut from a music piece from the 8"x8" Paperstash Collage.  The sentiment on it is from the Scribbly Birds stamp set by Dina Wakley.  I sponged the edges with Tea Dye Distress Ink and layered it over the bird with foam tape.
I tied the hanging Crinkle Ribbon through Memo Clips stuck into the burlap at the top corners.  On this side I added an Idea-ology Heart Charm (with a butterfly!) and a metal feather charm that I got free with an order from Funkie Junkie (thank you Linda!).  I embossed the feather with a mix of Pumice Stone and Vintage Photo embossing powders.  I colored a Mirrored Star with Stream Adirondack Alcohol Ink.
I added 3 Tiny Tattered Flowers (3 die cuts also included in my Funkie Junkie Order!) that I colored by rubbing them in Picked Raspberry and Cracked Pistachio Distress Spray Stains that I had on my craft mat mixed with a spritz of water.  I colored two Gum Drops with Stream and Wild Plum Adirondack Alcohol Inks and adhered them around the flowers.
I die cut a Thinlit Label out of a piece of music paper from the 8"x8" Collage Paper Stash. I sponged the edges with Ranger Distress Tea Dye Ink.  The sentiment is from Scribbly Insects by Dina Wakley, the butterfly is a Botanical Remnant Rub.  I layered the DP to a piece of kraft card stock to make it firmer and layered it to the burlap panel with foam tape.
I water colored the Crinkle Ribbon using the technique on Tim's July Tag - I rubbed Picked Raspberry and Cracked Pistachio Distress Inks onto my craft mat and applied it to the ribbon with a waterbrush. Then I spritzed the ribbon with water, crunched it up and dried it with my heat tool.  I knotted it through the Memo Clips on each side, tying a knot in the middle where it hangs on a peg.
Our challenge is a monthly one and a randomly chosen winner will receive a £20 gift voucher from our very generous sponsor, Country View Crafts. We will have our Pinworthy blog badges awarded to the Top 3, who will be chosen by the Creative Guides.  We are a Tim Holtz inspired challenge but you do not have to use his products, just let us know how you have been inspired by one of his techniques or colors. 
I hope you'll join us this month in the Things with Wings Challenge!   You'll find all the details - more inspiring projects from the other Creative Guides and Mr. Linky over at A Vintage Journey.  I can't wait to see the creative projects you link up there!

I'm also linking my project to the following:
Frilly and Funkie Challenge - Things with Wings
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Get Texty

22 comments:

Samra said...

WOW!!! Julia, what a fun make this is!!! Love the textures and such gorgeous color combo! Simply fabulous!
Hugs :)
Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Astrid Maclean said...

Super project Julia!! What a great background to that lovely crazy bird! Love the colours you chose too, what a great hanging!!

Thanks so much for also adding it to the challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!!

Redanne said...

Julia, this is an absolute delight! The crazy birds always make me smile and I love your little character (yes, I would love to see a gorgeous bird like yours in my garden!) and the wall you created for your background is just stunning! Hugs, Anne xx

Pamellia said...

This is just wonderful Julia!! The burlap and crackle background is amazing and I adore the colouring on your crazy bird! So many added elements, those charms are lovely!! Totally in love with this piece!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our "Things with Wings" challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Terry said...

Julia, you colored that crazy bird beautifully! Love the altered burlap panel with the crackle and brick work. A wonderful hanging! Enjoy the weekend!

Annette Allen said...

Girl you rocked this.. i totally love it.. great color combos... so fabulous

Vicki Dutcher said...

Totally fabulous! You and your ABC creations are just amazing. I love that "source" bird and it's perfect for Tim's crazy bird~ I love the details of the hanging charms too. Awesome canvas mf!

Mona Pendleton said...

So fun Julia! What a brilliant project! Love the textured background and your fun bird! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Your panel is gorgeously colourful and full of fun Julia. Brilliant ! Jennie x

Juliz Design Post said...

This is such a charming wall hanging Julia. I can see how that little purple bird inspired you. What a great project and I love your added little charms, so sweet.
Enjoy your weekend, Julie x

sarascloset said...

What a fun canvas! I love how you used that crazy bird and gave him "real" feathers using the crackle. Your colorful crackled background is out of this world, and every embellishment is just perfect to accent this lovely hanging. I'm so inspired! And that bird in the photo is just amazing! I think I would faint if I saw something like that nibbling at my feeder!

Shelly Hickox said...

I've never seen anyone use crackle paste on a burlap panel and I love it!! Your colors are so happy and the crazy bird is adorable. What a wonderful piece! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Frilly and Funkie.

SueC said...

Fantastic project Julia ! Love the crackle and the colours ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Nikki Acton said...

Wonderful creation Julia - just love the combination of crackles and cuteness! Nikki xxx

Unknown said...

This is soooo fun, Julia!! Lots of 'things with wings' on this fabulously altered burlap panel! Just a cheerful and bright creation!! XOXO-Shari

A Pink said...

Your altered burlap panel is lovely! Julia Love the crackle texture paste on the burlap and your chosen colours . you have indeed emulated your inspiration photo . What a realistic brick / stone wall too . Your crazy bird has real character and looks proud to be wearing his suit of purple .
Wonderful x

Deb said...

Julia, that is wonderful, gorgeous colours and textures and love the crazy bird in purple! Thanks so much for sharing it with us (and brilliant idea to use the memo pins to attach your ribbon hanger!)

Donna B. said...

Gorgeous wall hanging! I love the colors and how you colored the bird. They are so fun. Thanks so much for joining us this month at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Words and Pictures said...

Oh my! I just love your bold pink bird (great inspiration photo too) - and that amazing crackle background on the burlap. That's also the first time I've looked at those teeny tiny flowers and thought that maybe I do "need" them!! What a joy of a project, Julia... I have the biggest smile on my face!
Alison xx

Rachel said...

how fun! love all the texture on the burlap canvas. really cute door hanger! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Suzanne C said...

A fun and whimsical bird inspired canvas!

Jenny Marples said...

This really did make me smile and what a great idea to take inspiration from a real bird! Jenny x