Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Vintage Journey #27 Anything Tim

A Vintage Journey is celebrating it's 1 year birthday this month - and Hostess Brenda has chosen 'Anything Tim' for her challenge to us!  I knew I wanted to make a birthday card to celebrate the occasion. 
I had a piece of grungeboard that I had previously die cut using the Postage Stamp Frame sitting on my work table - and decided to start with that for my card design.  I figured that Tim would have some help for me in how to color the grungeboard - and sure enough I found it on page 39 of his Compendium of Curiosities Vol 1.  You basically just sponge it with the desired colors - going over it until the desired depth of color is achieved - given that the grunge board will tend to soak up the color.  I used Cracked Pistachio and Salty Ocean Distress Inks, sponging the edges with Walnut Stain.
 I wanted my card to be bright and spring-like (I am desperately looking forward to spring after the snowy, snowy winter we have had here in MA this year!)  so I thought butterflies would be a good choice to adorn my card with!   I die cut some text patterned paper with the Butterfly Frenzy die and pushed them into various Distress Inks to color them - Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Salty Ocean and Wild Honey.  Then I sponged them all lightly with Tea Dye Distress Ink.
 I stamped the architectural stamp from Classics #16 and the Happy Birthday from Handwritten Sentiments using Archival Jet Black ink onto the grungeboard.  Then I stenciled the Latticework  along the right side using  Walnut Stain Distress Ink, being careful not to go over the sentiment.
 I adhered the butterflies to the grunge board using Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive just along the center bodies, bending up the wings while holding down the glued center with tweezers for a minute until the glue dried. I layered the grungeboard to a piece of Coredinations/Ranger paper using Scor Tape.  I had sponged the edges of  the Coredinations with Tea Dye Distress Ink and used my Ranger Distresser on the edges.
 I added a few Chit Chat Stickers that I had rubbed in Tea Dye Distress Ink.  I added the Quick Dry glue to the stickers as well to be sure they would stick to the grungeboard. 
  I love how 'active' this card feels with the cluster of butterflies with their wings up as if in flight!
We hope you will join us in celebrating the 1st Birthday of A Vintage Journey with your creation of 'Anything Tim' -  there are several lovely prizes to be won  -  and with our second year - Brenda has some fun changes all described over at A Vintage Journey!

I'm also linking my card to the Paper Players Challenge - Theme - Think Spring
Stamps:  Classics #16, Handwritten Sentiments - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  Grunge Board - Ranger, Coredinations/Ranger, DP - My Minds Eye/Cowboy
Ink:  Ranger Distress - Cracked Pistacio, Salty Ocean, Wild Honey, Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Walnut Stain, Tea Dye; Archival Jet Black.
Accessories:  Butterfly Frenzie Die and Postage Stamp Frame - Alterations/Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Scor Tape, Idea-ology Chit Chat Stickers, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive, Distresser - Ranger.

32 comments:

Samra said...

WOW!! What a stunning card, so striking!! Love the deep colors and fun butterflies. :)

Terry said...

Your color choices are gorgeous, Julia! The background with the black stenciling is so rich and the colorful array of butterflies just makes this card! A lovely card to surely bring on some springtime weather you! Enjoy!

Lisa Lara said...

Fabulous dimension and depth Julia.

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a pretty card Julia! Love all the colorful butterflies fluttering about!

Inkypinkycraft said...

really lovely colours and love the butterf;ies xtrace x

Redanne said...

I think this is my favourite project ever using the butterfly strip die! The colours of the butterflies against the darker background is just incredible - I love this!

It has been wonderful working alongside you these last few months at AVJ! Hugs, Anne xx

Jenny Marples said...

Loving the way those deep colours in the beautiful background make your wonderful butterflies pop so well! Happy Birthday! Jenny x

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Julia!! Love that postage stamp frame, a great base! The bright butterflies look so amazing against the dark background! Brilliant make! hugs :)

laurie said...

I love that background, what a gorgeous spring card. Thanks for playing along at The Paper Players!

Brenda Brown said...

Wow Julia this is a fabulous birthday card and perfect for our AVJ celebrations. I love the depth of colour you have achieved and those two certainly go together so well.
I went to the butterfly house at Wisley Gardens this week and this reminds me of the wonderful patterns and designs I saw. Thanks for everything you do for AVJ.
hugs Brenda xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant Julia, love what you did with this piece, such happy colours, perfect for our celebration!

Last but not least, it's been great to work together and alongside you on AVJ!!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Wow what a fabulous card Julia! I love the vintage distressed background and appreciate the tutorial on how you achieved it. This card is alive with movement and colour. Thanks for joining us for our spring challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

Juliz Design Post said...

Gorgeous card Julia, your delicious rich background is perfect to show off your butterfly frenzy. Real eye catcher.
Have a lovely weekend, Julie xx

Marlena M. said...

Gorgeous colors and layers Julia~

Unknown said...

Completely Adore your Springy Birthday card, Julia!! It's an absolutely perfect celebration for the occasion!! Maybe this will help with the thaw in your neck of the country, too!! :) (We are completely thawed and in Spring mode here in the mountains of N.Idaho!)(we normally have a foot or two of snow at this time of year!) I'm so happy to be a new member of AVJ with you, Julia!! Looking forward to this upcoming year at AVJ with you!! XOXO-Shari

Loll said...

This is truly amazing Julia!! LOVE the deep colours you've used for your background. And love the mix of stamps and stenciling. Those multi-coloured butterflies just pop off the card --- gorgeous. Loll xx

Nikki Acton said...

Gorgeous creation Julia - wonderful depth and colour and layout. Nikki xx

Karren said...

Fabulous card, Julia! I just love the depth you've created with the different TH products you've used and the butterflies are gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players.

Karren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Schach said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning, Julia! The details are amazing...the shapes, the colors, the fabulous butterflies! Thanks for sharing at The Paper Players this week!

S@ndy Diller said...

Who wouldn't love to get this little gem? Your card is beautiful and the colors are so brilliant, love the entire thing.

*Vicki* said...

So beautiful!! Really love the butterflies! ;)

experiments in paper said...

Gorgeous!! Love your colors, and those butterflies are perfect! As is the use of the die-cut sentiment - beautiful make! xx Lynn

Annie said...

A gorgeous card Julia and perfect for our celebrations at AVJ.........can't believe a year has gone past!! You have created a stunning background of inks, layering stencil effects and the butterflies sit beautifully. I love it. Here's to a fabulous second year ahead

Huge hugs Annie x

Jaydee said...

So much beuatiful layering with dimension and depth. The butterflies are perfect for a spring card. So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
Jaydee

crafty creations said...

Stunning card with an amazing background Julia

I've just linked mine to this wonderful challenge

Deepti said...

Oh my ! This is such a beauty... I am speechless

Jennie Atkinson said...

A stunning card Julia - such a wonderful dark background and then the stunning bright butterflies. Gorgeous. Jennie x (PS sorry to be so late visiting - we are finally back from Ireland)

Words and Pictures said...

I love the depth of colour in the background, Julia - making those butterflies look even lighter, brighter and lovelier as they take flight. Gorgeous! Like Jennie, I'm offering apologies for my late visit - but so happy finally to be catching up with the birthday creations.
Alison xx

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Fabulous colors and design. Amazing.

barbarayaya62 said...

Beautiful card! I love fluttering butterflies and love your colors choice! Barbarayaya

Deb said...

Julia, what a beautiful card to celebrate AVJ's first birthday! Love your amazing cloud of butterflies, they look like they are flying right off of your card. A beautiful creation, thanks so much for sharing your techniques and expertise!