Saturday, June 30, 2012

WMS Sneak Peek Day #3 - My Island

Wow - we've already reached Day 3 of the WMS July Release Sneak Peeks.  Did we whet your appetite for the beach with the mini set yesterday!   I hope so - because today we have a full size seaside set to show you called My Island.  

There are often 'things collected' when we are on holiday - so today I made a slider box to hold some of these 'things' (tutorial on Split Coast Stampers) when you open this box -  the box slides out one end and a card slides out the other!
When I had the pieces for the box cut out - I stamped them with the larger chicken wire from the Chicken Wire set and sponged all the edges with Scattered Straw Distress Ink. I also stamped the images on the card part of the slider.  Then I put the box and slider together using the tutorial

I stamped the lovely palm trees inking them in brown and green, the cute straw hut over the sky background stamp and two of the sentiments from My Island onto a panel, sponged and distressed the edges and layered it to Monarch die strips on two sides.  I adhered it to the top of the box with foam tape..
I had this great starfish button from a bag of buttons my SIL Carol gave me.  I punched a hole in the end of the box and slipped a metal clip (that was holding the button onto the button card) through the metal shank on the button (see two pics above for a peak at the clip) This will hold it on securely as you have to tug a bit to get the box to slide!
Here's a view of the card part where you could write a message to the recipient or the place the momentos came from as I did - I stamped the smaller group of palm trees in the set here as well as another sentiment.  I die cut the waves that I adhered along the top.
A strip of plastic shopping bag adhered around the 'slider' piece is what makes the box and card 'slide' (see tutorial)
And here are some shells DH Kent and I picked up along the shores of Sanibel Island a few years ago.  You just cannot walk down the beaches there without picking up the gorgeous shells that are all over the sand!
I stamped a panel to slip into the bottom of the box as well.  I love the fonts on the sentiments in this set!
What summertime treasures would you put in your slider box??!
Now lets head off to the rest of the WMS Design Team blogs to see what summer fun they have in store for us! Just click on each name below!

Please stop back tomorrow for our final peek using Anya's newest stamp set (you ROCK Anya!) during our DT Blog Waltz -  you could win a Waltzingmouse stamp set of your choice!

Anya Schrier
 Becca Feeken
 Belinda Chang Langner
 Clare Buswell
 Bonnie Sharp
 Julia Aston  - you're here
 Jennifer Holmes
 Kelly Schirmer
 Laurie Schmidlin - will post later in the day
Mona Pendleton
 Sandie Dunne
 Tosha Leyendekker
Claire Brennan (Owner)

 Stamps:  Waltzingmouse -  Chicken Wire, My Island (to be released 7/1)
Paper:  Kraft, Rustic Cream, Ocean Tides - PTI
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Rich Cocoa, Potters Clay, Bamboo Leaves, Summer Sky, London Fog, Desert Sand, Ranger Distress Scattered Straw.
Accessories:  Monarch & Ocean Wave Dies - Die-Namics MFT, sqyare punch - Creative Memories, corner rounder - Zutter, ScorTape, plastic grocery bag, starfish button - from stash, slider box tutorial in Resources section - Split Coast Stampers.

15 comments:

Becca Feeken said...

Loving the box Julia! Perfect for tiny little keepsakes!

Sandie said...

What a great project!! I love this idea.

Vickie Z said...

Fantastic box!! Love the scene and the chicken wire stamp is perfect for the outside of the box!! I so want to go to Sanibel Island... it's on my wish list!! I am a shell collector and used to get a bunch when my parents had a place in Naples but, I have heard so much about Sanibel!!

Deborah Frings said...

What a super way to store all the stuff you collect on holiday - love the colours and the shells too!

Lynn W. said...

This is a really lovely idea! We all have bits and bobs that we've collected over the years, so this is a great way to preserve them - thank you!

Lynn Wild

anya said...

OH, this is just SUPER, Julia! I love your box of summer keepsakes - all the details you included really make this a work of art all its own!

Vicki Dutcher said...

It's been awhile since I have seen YOUR FABULOUS ABC projects(yesterdays too). What a wonderful keepsake from a trip to say Hawaii -- don't I just wish! :)

Riet said...

So gorgeous Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Suzanne said...

Julia, this is awesome! It reminds me of my summers on Cape Cod as a kid collecting sea shells all day long on the beach. :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh dear Julia! What a beautiful and fun box to collect some beachy goodness in! LOVE it!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

You're killing me with this post Julia!! We went to Sanibel island with the kids10 years ago and still have all our shells on display. Oh how I'd love to go back there!! Talk about a gorgeous place to visit. Then there's your sweet little box to store your treasures!! How clever and gorgeous!! What a fantastic and creative project!!

Renee said...

How awesomely cool, Julia!!
What a perfect little keepsake box... absolutely perfect for storing little touches of holidays...
and then being able to record and keep that with it...
this is 3-D individual scrapbooking...
love it! :)

Mary Marsh said...

this is a great slider box Julia-and what a great idea to store sea shells in it

Pauline said...

Just gorgeous Julia, what a fabulous memory box for a holiday, love it!

snowbear said...

Fabulous job on the slider box... it's awesome!