Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Mimosa in an Apron - A Tutorial

My project today is this cute little apron card with a recipe tucked inside the pocket. I have seen these in several places but they have been a larger size - I redesigned mine so that it will fit inside a regular size envelope (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) so I could easily mail it if I wanted to. (It might take an extra stamp because of the knotted ribbon.)I used parts of two of the new sets from Artful Inkables - Orange You Sweet (the drink and 'sweet') and Paradise Island (From My Hut to Yours)


Supplies:
5"x7"card stock for apron - I used Summer Sunrise by PTI
3 7/8" x 1 3/8" Designer paper - I used Bitty Baby Blessing collection by PTI
3"x5" white for recipe card
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 to layer behind recipe - I used Lavender Moon by PTI
white, Summer Sunrise and Lavender Moon scraps for sentiment, oval and scalloped circle.
Tab punch - SU
Scalloped Circle Punch - SU
Oval punch - SU
White gel pen
2 large eyelets
Cropadile
8" of ribbon - I used Lavender Moon Twill by PTI
Scor Pal or other scoring tool
red tacky tape
Coluzzle oval - cutting blade and mat (or you can just cut free hand - see below)
decorations and stamps as desired
Ok - so now that we have everything we need - lets get cracking!

1. Take your 5 x 7 piece of cardstock for your apron.
2. Score at 1/2 inch on each side of the 5" end. 3. Turn your paper and score 1 1/2 inch in on one side only
4. Cut off the 1/2 inch pieces up to the 1 1/2" score line on both sides.
5. Cut the tab corners at an angle.
6. Fold in the tabs on the score lines. Put tacky tape on the edges but don't seal it yet.
7. Move your apron to your coluzzle mat if you have one. Line up the oval on the apron as I show here - the lavender is there just so you can see the oval and how it's placed. If you don't have a coluzzle you could line up a plastic lid or any oval shape to trace here.
8. Cut away the piece.
9. Move the coluzzle oval to the left side and cut away the piece on this side.
10. Your apron should now look like this.
11. Remove the red line and fold up the pocket. Attach the 3 7/8 x 1 3/8 piece of designer paper on the pocket. Attach your eyelets to the top corners as shown. Put the ribbon through the eyelets tying a knot in the back on each end.
Decorate the pocket as desired. Make your recipe card by layering the 3"x5" card onto the 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" card. Attach the tab to the top. I printed my Mimosa recipe from my computer on an Avery Label and attached it to the card. I stamped my drink image on a scrap - colored it with Prismacolor markers - cut it out and attached it to the recipe card. I added gems to the tab and on the drink and the orange to give it a little sparkle.

And the recipe card fits nicely inside the apron for mailing.
Please let me know if you have any problems with the tutorial and I'll try and clarify it.
Thanks so much for coming by my blog today!

10 comments:

Carolina said...

Julia - this is just too stinkin' cute!!! Love the tutorial and the finished project is just perfect - TFS!!!

Unknown said...

great tutorial and adorable apron!!! makes me want to hit the VSN's...now was that only 45?!!!

Susan said...

the comment above was me, Julia! somehow my 13 yr old was logged in!!!

K said...

So cool! Thanks for the tutorial. I love the apron and what a great idea to include a recipe card.

Terri said...

What a great idea! Very cool.

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

This is adorable...perfect with a beverage recipe! This would make a great pick me up card for the right person..fab tutorial!

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is fabulous! And so creative. Love the wonderful tutorial you created! TFS!!

zakkalife said...

your apron card is too cute, I've never seen a card made like this before, I think this one will be really popular

Donna Baker said...

this is SO cute, thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this! Thanks so much for the well-written and nicely photoed tutorial....can't wait to try this. Diane/Lost in the 60's