Saturday, October 3, 2020

October CAS Christmas Card Challenge - Christmas Birds

Today I have a card to share for the October CAS Christmas Card Challenge.  Christine is our creative and talented hostess this month and she wants to see Christmas birds!
I used a cardinal for my Christmas bird - one of my favorite birds summer or winter, but they do look so lovely with their bright red against the sparkle of snow!  
This cardinal is from a 3D sticker set I found at Michaels.  There are 9 cardinals in the package, two different sizes and some facing left, some facing right - they are plastic and the wing is popped up on a foam dot.  I love their little feet too!  I bought them months ago just because I loved them - and this little cardinal was perfect for this months challenge!
I die cut the oval and the Peace (both from PTI) out of white Glitter Card stock from Michaels.  I die cut another PEACE out of  black Fun Foam and glued the glitter Peace on top of the foam - this gave the word depth and also defined the edge so it can be seen being white on white.  I added an extra foam dot to the one that came on the cardinal since it's popped up on the thick word. I used glue on the dot as well as the back of the PEACE so it would stick to the glitter card.
 
I love the cardinals little feet perched right on the P!  This card is very sparkly IRL but it does not show up well in the photo.
Here are some close ups


This was such an easy card to make but looks quite impressive I think?!!

So please join us in getting those Christmas cards done before the rush (it's already October people!!), and share with us your Christmas Birds on your CAS design cards!

You'll find lots of inspiration from the Design Team as well as our October Guest Designer over at the CAS Christmas Card Challenge here.


Paper:  white - PTI, White Glitter Cardstock - Michaels.
Accessories:  Pierced Feature: Ovals die,  Wonderful Words: Holiday - PTI, foam dots, black Fun Foam sheet - Darice, Cardinal Stickers - Michaels, Ultra Bond Adhesive - iCraft.

16 comments:

Colleen said...

Julia, I love cardinals any time of the year as well! Your find at Michaels is a treasure for sure, he is very cute and I love how you have him hanging on the peace word!

Marcia Hill said...

What a BEAUTIFUL card Julia!! I love your Cardinal with the raised wing, and looks like we thinking along the same lines to use the PTI peace die cut! I really like how you put the black foam behind the peace too to give it some dimension! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Pat said...

Such a pretty cardinal embellishment Julia and love the way you have placed it on the large die cut sentiment on the oval, both so prettily glittery.

Christine Alexander said...

always fun to find some great embellishments. your little cardinal is perfect atop your Peace sentiment. Love it :)

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Your little cardinal sticker looks amazing perched on the PEACE, Julia! Just love all the sparkle!!

Loll said...

This is a very impressive card Julia! I LOVE your sweet cardinal perched on the P! So sweet. And love the beautiful shimmer from your white glitter oval and sentiment. Adding the black behind the peace was very clever --- really makes it stand out. I LOVE this card! xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

This is such a beautiful and sparkly card, Julia! I didn't realize you used foam dots to make this cute cardinal dimensional until I saw the second picture. What a clever use of the foam dots! The black Fun Foam is effective to give definition and dimension to the sparkly tone-on-tone die-cut sentiment. I love the little feet perching on the letter P too!:-)
Hideko xx

Bonnie said...

This definitely looks very impressive, Julia! I love all that white on white glitter and how the black foam makes the peace stand out! And that sweet cardinal was a wonderful find! So elegant!

Trina P. said...

Call me impressed! How you were able to take this adorable cardinal and make a beautiful and sophisticated card is amazing. Great job adding the teeny tiny feet, too. I can see the sparkle so I can just imagine how even more exquisite it looks IRL.

Linda said...

Beautiful background to showcase your red cardinal. Lovely card, Julia.

Cathy said...

Beautiful sparkly Christmas card Julia, the little bird is perfect perched on the p, what a great find! Love the depth and shadow from the foam layer too, Cathy x

Barb Ghig said...

This is such a pretty Christmas card, Julia! Your cardinal is so sweet and I love how you added black fun foam to the word die...Love your sparkly oval background, too! Barb xx

Mary Marsh said...

this is such a pretty CAS card Julia- I love how you used the black fun foam to outline the piece word

Mac Mable said...

Great dimension, a beautiful cardinal and a stunner of a card x.

Karen Dunbrook said...

how wonderful....so great for the holidays. Love that little bird with the sparkle.
xx Karen

nancy littrell said...

Love your oval and sentiment die cut out of glittery paper, Julia. Your cardinal was an awesome find and perfect for an adornment to your CAS Christmas Card design. TFS Love and Hugs...Nancy