Sunday, July 15, 2018

Mid Month Reminder - July CAS Mix Up Challenge - Color Your Dies!

I'm here today with a mid-month reminder about the fun July CAS Mix Up Card Challenge -  this month Bonnie has asked us to color our die cuts!
This time I water colored my die cuts using Ranger Distress Inks.
I used Lovely Layers dies from PTI to die cut my flower out of watercolor paper.  Then I picked out what color Distress inks I wanted to use - Mowed Lawn, Abandoned Coral, Spiced Marmalade and Frayed Burlap. I rubbed one color at a time onto my craft mat, spritzed the color with water and brushed the watery color over each die cut piece.
I dried each piece with my heat tool and then dipped my brush into clean water and splattered the water onto each piece one at a time, drying each piece with my heat tool.  I love the added texture the water spots create!
I adhered the flower layers to each other with foam dots accept for the smallest one, which I just glued on.  I added a little curve to the leaf/petals  pieces with my finger before adhering them to each other. I added a brown enamel dot to the center.  Then I adhered the flower to a white card panel with another foam dot.
I stamped the sentiment  from Lovely Layers Stamp Set from PTI beneath the flower and adhered the panel to a white card base.

So please join us in this fun challenge - to color your die cuts!  It's always fun to find new ways to use our craft supplies right?!

You'll find YouTube Videos of different ways to color your die cuts as well as some awesome inspiration from the Design Team  as well as our awesome guest designer Susan Joyce (Cat's InkCorporated) over at the CAS Mix Up Blog here.  You have until July 24th to link up your cards!

Stamps:  Lovely Layers Stamp Set - Papertrey Ink.
Paper:  Water color paper - Canson, white - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Mowed Lawn, Abandoned Coral, Spiced Marmalade, Frayed Burlap, Hero Hues Black.
Accessories:  Lovely Layers Die Collection - PTI, foam dots, brown enamel dot, water, paint brush, heat tool.

11 comments:

Mac Mable said...

The water spots sure do look fabulous on your beautifully coloured flower. The colours you've used look great and such a clean and wonderful CAS card with a great technique x.

nancy littrell said...

Simply beautiful CAS die cut flower design, Julia. I love your water splatters over your Distress Inks and your color choices. Such pretty texture. Such a sweet sentiment for your pretty flower. TFS my friend...Hugs..

Bonnie said...

I love these colors and the way the water spots add the feeling of texture! A beautiful sentiment to go with the pretty flower! All the white space makes the flower pop! Great job on this technique, my friend!

Cathy said...

Wonderful card Julia, I love the sentiment and your colourful geometric flower is so eyecatching, Cathy x

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

Such a gorgeous card :) love the composition, colors and softness. Glad I visited your blog, I'm a happy new follower now :) thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. Have a great week! xoxo

Ina G said...

What stunning results you get here with your water spots. Love the simplicity of this card and those gorgeous colours you chose. A real stand out Julia. Love the sentiment.

Papercraft Boutique said...

I love the cheerful color combo and the 3D look of this card, Julia! Styling the petals and leaves make a big difference. The water spatters look wonderful too. Hideko xx

Loll said...

Gorgeous die-cut flower Julia. Love the colours of distress inks that you've used. Adding the splattering to each layer add so much visual texture. AMAZING CAS design, my friend! xx

Christine Alexander said...

Julia I just love those colours, beautiful little flower and the water splashes are perfect.

Jo said...

Such harmony in this beauty, Julia. Love the whole design for this bright and cheerful card. The sentiment is perfect and truly made my day ;-) xx

Susan Joyce said...

Wonderful card Julia, love the splatter water droplets on the flower petals. Thanks for having me on the design team as Guest Designer this month.