Thursday, March 10, 2016

A Weighty Birthday

For the past two years, a friend at work has asked me to make a personalized birthday card for her husband.  Last year I made a card with a bike theme as he is an avid bicyclist - this year when we were trying to think of another theme - she said 'well, he likes to lift weights'.  Hmmm, I thought, how do a create a card with that theme???
But, as sometimes happens -  when I walked into my craft room - I suddenly thought of the strong man stamp in the Big Top Stamps and Framelits set from Alterations/Tim Holtz!
I just LOVE when inspiration hits - don't you???!!!
So I die cut,stamped and colored the strong man - using Archival Jet Black Ink and Ranger Distress Markers in Shabby Shutter, Tea Dye and Black Soot along with my waterbrush.
I also die cut and stamped the stars in the set.    I rummaged through my Paper Stash papers and picked out a piece from Correspondence of a collage of tickets  for the background.   I used two Pocket Cards - one with blue stars and a red label printed on it - and another with a universal calendar - and I highlighted his birthday with green marker - Apr and 2.
I outlined the Small Talk sentiments, stars and Pocket cards with my black Stabilo pencil - then rubbed the lines with a wet finger to smudge to add a little grunge to the design.

She was very happy and excited about my design - and thinks her husband will get a kick out of it when he opens it on April 2nd.

I'm linking my card to the following challenges:
I think I hit the toppings - The Great Divide - my card is divided by 3 panels - the ticket background panel, the stars panel and the calendar panel.

Inkspirational Challenge - Geometric (lots of squares and rectangles in my design)
Our Creative Corner - The Return of the Challenge
I revisited Aug 1st 2013 challenge - Words, Words, Words
Stamps:  Big Top - Stamps and Framelits - Sizzix/Alterations
Paper:  Kraft, Rustic Cream - PTI, DP Paperstash/Correspondence - Idea-ology
Ink:  Wendy Vecchi Dandelion, Archival Jet Black.
Accessories:  Ranger Distress Markers Shabby Shutters, Tea Dye, Black Soot,  Water Brush, Small Talk Occasions, Vial Labels, Pocket Cards, Label Letters - Idea-ology, foam dots, Stabilo Black Pencil.

13 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Julia what a fun card for your weight-lifting friends hubby!

Brenda Brown said...

A great fun card Julia and fits your agreed theme brilliantly.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Pamellia said...

What a fabulous card Julia! I love your strong-man, and all the ephemera in the background. Wonderful masculine piece! HUGS :)

~amy~ said...

Julia, this is awesome!

Marina said...

So many fabulous details on this card - it has elements of both vintage and modern, amd I think the weightlifter is great fun. Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time! Marina

Kim Heggins said...

I LOVE your card....this is just so incredible. I love all your wonderful details!

Greta said...

Oh wow--what an incredible card for your friend's hubby! Love all the elements & how you put them together!

Deb said...

Fabulous card Julia, brilliant idea to use the strong man and to personalize the perpetual calendar with his birthday! Deb xo

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a fun card Julia! Love all the layered TH papers!

shirley-bee said...

Great card, Julia - for quite a difficult brief! I love how you've personalised it, too. Thanks for playing at Seize The Birthday :)

Sharli Schaitberger said...

OMGSH, Julia, this is AWESOME!! What a creative card! Thanks for showing me how to "think outside the box"! Hugs!!

Shauna said...

What a cute design! The layers are lovely and complement one another nicely! Very fun card. Thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic collage background - a brilliant card!
Alison x