Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Memories are Magical Moments

Happy Tuesday everyone -  it's the 2nd official day of my vacation - we are having absolutely gorgeous summer weather here - sunny in the 80's.  Today Kent and I went to IKEA to look at tables that might work well in my craft room - I've seen so many bloggers using furniture from IKEA but to get to the closest store to us, we have to drive through Boston and down the South Shore (we live on the North Shore) a drive I hate to do because you never know how bad the city traffic will be.  Luckily, we were traveling during the middle of the day so missed the heavy commuter traffic and only hit a few slow downs.  We got there in about 45 minutes which wasn't too bad.  And, boy - what a place - it was GIANT!!  Kent and I kept walking and walking following the arrows on the floor - after a while I didn't really know where I was and we actually had trouble finding out how to get to the exit when we were exhaustedly ready to leave!!   I didn't purchase anything today but got a lot of ideas - and I did bring home a catalogue ;)

Today I have card art to share that I made using some fun Art Parts - Hearts,Love and Stars.  I embossed the big heart in Sky Blue Embossing Powder, the star in Tiger Lily and the LOVE in Violet.  The little heart is a Tiny Shapes die from TH and I embossed that in Red Geranium - all Wendy Vecchi powders
Next I stamped over the shapes - using Spatter background on the blue heart, Ornate Dots on the star and dots from Large Collage on the LOVE.  The sentiment and black lines on the heart are from Wendy's Discover Art set and the flourish is from Say it with Art.
I cut a panel of Vintage Cream Cardstock and stamped the Ornate Dots background (I LOVE this stamp!) on it with Tiger Lily ink. The stamping didn't quite fill the panel so I inked up the Reverse Dots Background stamp and pressed the top and bottom edges of the panel onto the inked stamp. I love how that border looks!
I layered my creation onto an Eileen Hull Sizzix Die called Frame-Mailable.  The die cuts a rectangle out of the center of the front panel where you can place a photo.  I chose to use the die cut as a stand up 'easel' to display my Art Parts creation.  You can fold up the base piece and the frame (5" x 4 1/4") fits in a regular A2 size envelope - although with my Art Parts being thick and going over the top edge - I'd have to use a larger envelope if I wanted to mail this!
To cover the frame opening on the inside - I adhered a stamped panel like the one on the front.
I'm linking my creation to the following challenges:
Frilly and Funkie Challenge - Something to Say (oops, sorry it has to be Vintage or shabby Chic so this doesn't qualify for the challenge!  better read the instructions better!)
Stamps:  Ornate Dots, Large Collage, Spatter, Discover Art, Reverse Dots, Say it With Art - Wendy Vecchi/Stampers Anonymous.
Paper:  Vintage Cream - PTI, Little Sizzles Matboard - Sizzix
Ink:  Wendy Vecchi Archival Tree Branch and Tiger Lily, Adirondack Snow Cap
Accessories:  Wendy Vecchi Embossing Powder Tiger Lily, Sky Blue, Violet and Red Garanium, Frame-Mailable die - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Tiny Shapes Movers and Shapers dies - Tim Holtz, Art Parts Hearts, Love and Stars - Wendy Vecchi.

13 comments:

Samra said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOWW!!! Julia this is stunning!! Pinned :) I do need to ask you, what type of cardstock did you use for your base, looks very heavy and sturdy. I love sturdy cardstock cards!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Julia! Love the country charm! Hope you enjoy every moment of your well deserved vacation!

The Colour Press said...

Nice to hear that ur enjoying ur holidays. Ikea is a super huge place. I hope u find what u want soon. I struggle sometimes with assembling their products but eventually fig it out. Ha ha. Loved your card and the colour combo.

Pamellia said...

Wow Julia, what a unique card! Love the big heart with the sentiment and the 3d LOVE is just fabulous! Such a great colour combo, just so fabulous!! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Something to Say' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

This turned out awesome! Perfectly balanced too. IKEA is the abyss - I can walk around that store for hours! Too much fun :)

Anne Harada said...

Such a great dimensional card Julia! I love the layers of embellishments! Have fun while on your vacation, IKEA is the grownup's Disneyland! One of my fav destinations! LOL! Hugs to you my friend!

Joan B said...

beautiful!

Unknown said...

Happy Vacation to you Julia!! This card is so fun and playful and just lovely!! XOXO-Shari

Pawsitively Creative said...

Ohhhhh goody for you dearie! I have heard about this IKEA you speak of and wish to visit there one day. So many wonderous things to see! This mail card is stunning and that base looks superbly sturdy! Love the heart and the LOVE. Awesome sauce! ~Niki

Jenny Marples said...

I positively ADORE this one Julia! The echoed stamping on the background and Art Parts, the perfect colour combo, the whole design, oh - just everything! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Unknown said...

I just love this card, that heart is fabulous! Thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie xx

Deb said...

What a beautiful card Julia, love the heart and how you have mounted the word on top, gorgeous. And isn't Ikea fun? Hope you will find a desk that will be perfect for your craft room. Deb xo P.S. enjoy your holiday!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is gorgeous! LOVE the colors!