Monday, June 29, 2015

PTI Make It Monday - Adding Color to Cover Plates

Another fun PTI Make It Monday Challenge - Adding Color to Cover Plate die cuts.  Laura Bassen has a great video illustrating the technique using Copics and water color markers.
I decided to try the technique using the Text Block - Birthday die.
I die cut the block out of watercolor paper, masked the outside edges and colored the letters with Ranger Distress Markers in Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmelade and Stormy Sky.  Then I used my water brush over all of the letters.  When it was dry - I brushed over all the letters again with my clear Wink of Stella to give it sparkle -  I think you can see that a little bit in the photo below - it's really sparkly IRL!
I used the same die to cut out the rectangle in the Watercolor Wonder Patterned Paper and placed the Text Block inside the cut out layering them both to a slightly larger panel of Berry Sorbet paper..
I made another card using this technique with my Cover Plate Stripes/Horizontal.  I sponged a white panel with 3 Distress Inks - Abandoned Coral, Cracked Pistaschio and Mermaid Lagoon and then spritzed the panel with water which created water spots.  Then I cut the panel with the stripes die, removed the cut out panels and rearranged them to mix the colors.  I used a sentiment from the Scripted stamp set and a die from the Scripted Die Collection.
I brushed the inset panels and die cut sentiment with my clear Wink of Stella, and again, there's a lot of shimmer IRL, not so much showing in the photo!
This was a great technique - learning a way to do something different with our Cover Plate dies!

10 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Love your use of colour on these gorgeous cards xxx

Pamellia said...

Wow Julia, these cards are beautiful! This looks like such an amazing technique! Thanks for the link, I think I will check this one out for sure. hugs :)

Deepti said...

Gorgeous cards! I like the shimmer :)

Yasmina TIN-SANG said...

I love your cards!! great work Julia!
Yasmina

Unknown said...

Fun cards, Julia!! I've got that PTI Text Block Birthday Die!! It's a great birthday die to work with and it's always neat to learn new ways to get the most out of our dies!! XOXO-Shari

Linda said...

I see we used the same Text Block birthday die for our cards. Very pretty.

sarascloset said...

Beautiful colors on these cards, and I love that shimmer! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog!

Annette Allen said...

wow love how you used these dies.. these cards are awesome..

Nancy Penir said...

Just beautiful 'twinkle' on both cards. Great die choices too!

Loll said...

Very cool technique! LOVE your card, Julia! xx