Monday, June 8, 2015

CC3C - Faux Cracked Glass

I haven't participated in the Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge for quite some time - I either ran out of time - or didn't have the product needed -  but this fortnight I had some time and I love the Faux Cracked Glass technique!
So the technique can be found in Tim Holtz' Compendium of Curiosities Vol 3 page 54.  We cannot describe the technique as the Challenge creators want everyone to use their own copy of Tim's book for instruction.
I decided to make this little 4" x 4" mini canvas (from Michael's) to show off the technique.  I first 'rusted' the canvas by inking it with Ranger Embossing Ink and embossing it with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder.  (which is the same technique as Rusted Grunge in CC1 Page 45)  After it cooled I rubbed over the whole canvas and then sponged it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
I got out some Idea-ology Fragments to use the technique on. After doing the technique -  I colored them by dropping Alcohol Inks on them - in Butterscotch, Cranberry, Stream and Citrus.  I also used the inks to color the Industrious Stickers/Borders on side and top as well as the Crinkle Ribbon that I wove through the Word Band.  I colored the Wordband with Butterscotch Alcohol ink and then rubbed Cracked Pistachio Distress Paint over it to fill the letters - wiping off most of it so the paint just stayed inside the letters.
I die cut the Movers and Shapers Mini Heart out of matboard and colored it with the same Alcohol inks.  And the same with the Mirrored Star.
I attached everything to the canvas with either Glue N Seal or Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive - it's hard to get things to stick to the Distress Embossing Powder!   The little heart is popped up on a foam dot on the butterscotch square.  To finish off my project - I added a Small Talk Sticker in the top right corner.  The little easel is from Lil Inker Designs - my canvas fit perfectly on it!
The Funkie Junkie Boutique  
The Funkie Junkie Boutique is sponsoring the CC3C challenge this time and one lucky winner will receive a $25 shopping spree! I shop there all the time - you should check it out!
You will find all the details of the challenge and the link up for your project here. 

I'm also linking this to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge -  They are celebrating their one year anniversary - I chose  MMMC#5 - Ribbon, Twine and Fiber
 

22 comments:

Loll said...

Love your fun and creative canvas Julia. Great techniques ... espeically the faux cracked glass - so cool. I need to get Tim's book so I can try this! :) xx

Brenda Brown said...

Love the contrasting rust with those zingy bright colours and the four fragments look fabulous xxx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful project Julia ! Love the bright colours of your faux cracked glass! Sue C x

Redanne said...

Very, very clever use of the technique Julia, I love what you did with the fragments and the background to your canvas is fantastic! Love it. Hugs, Anne xx

Juliz Design Post said...

What a super idea to use the fragments, great design.
Julie x

Candy C said...

Oh wow Julia! This is awesome!You got some GREAT results with your faux cracked glass technique! Love the bright colors. The fragments look amazing! I also love the tinted Industrial Borders. Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Mona Pendleton said...

Fabulous project Julia! Love the colorful cracked glass!

Susan said...

So glad you are able to join us again Julia! Love your projects - very good idea to use the fragments and a canvas. You were able to use so many different colors that are perfect together! Loely!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE that you used fragments for this...perfect! Gorgeous crackle too! Thanks so much for making faux glass with us at CC3C!!!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Pamellia said...

Wow Julia, I can't believe the amazing results you got with the cracked glass technique. I've never had much luck with this one. Beautiful project. hugs :)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fantastic textures Julia. Love the colors and the cracked glass pieces.

Deepti said...

How cool is the crackled glass effect :) Love your creation and bright colors that you used !

Unknown said...

So Fun, Julia!! I love your faux cracked glass fragments tiles!! They are wonderful!! This is a fabulous canvas for CC3 #30!! Good Luck!! XOXO-Shari

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is gorgeous!

Marjie Kemper said...

How fabulous! Feeling silly that it never occurred to me to use the fragments... brilliant! Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C, Julia.

Sue from Oregon said...

Wonderful...love your choice of bright colors!!!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Totally cool - amazing technique!

Donna B. said...

Awesome canvas! I love the bright colors on the rusty canvas. Thanks so much for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Melanie said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for joining the Mixed Monthly Challenge!

Rachel said...

this is so pretty! love the little mosaic look you made on the cover. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge and celebrating our first birthday!!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Lynn K said...

Adorable canvas! I love the faux crackle technique you used!! Thanks for helping us celebrate with this month's challenge!
www.lynnkopas.blogspot.com