Sunday, February 3, 2013

Creative Packaging for Valentine Treats! (and some cards)

I just love Valentine's Day - not because of anything I might receive - I just love all the hearts, the red and white colors, all the lovely boxes of chocolates, jelly hearts, and of course - all the cute little cards - like the kind we used to give each other as kids in school!

Every year, two stamping friends and I have a sale at our church of Valentine goodies to make money for the church.  Here are some of the things I made this year.

First up are some sweet little corked bottles that I found in Michaels in the Wedding aisle.  I filled them with M&M's, added a 'be my valentine' sentiment at the base, and tied a glittery punched heart around the neck using some white wrinkled seam tape.

Next I stamped an arrowed heart and sentiment on these cute little drawstring muslin bags - I found them at a garden shop - you could either buy them separately (which I did) or fill them with potpouri they were also selling.  I filled these with cherry jelly hearts.
And here are some cards I made for the sale -  we made the first two in a card stamping workshop last week at my church - another thing my friends and I do to make money for the church (and to have some fun!)

First are these cute little Sizzix Die pups -  see how different they look with different papers - and check out their eyes -  the first two are looking to the pup on the right - and that one is looking straight at us!  All a matter of where you put the pupils!   Inside I stamped You're doggone great!  Happy Valentine's Day.
 And then we have these cute snowman Valentine's - cut from a Tim Holtz die, the front and back are attached from the neck up with ScorTape.  I punched the hearts, stamped them with Be Mine,  and tied wrinkled seam tape around their necks - and added a 'coal' rhinestone eye!  I love how the wrinkled seam tape seems to be blowing in the wind that is making the snowman hold his hat on.   I cut a little off the base of Frosty so that he would stand up!
 And finally a cute little squirrel Valentine.  I die cut a circle out of the center of the card front then die cut circle frames out of black and brushed gold.  The little squirrel and sentiment are stamped on a Vintage Cream circle that is adhered to the inside of the card so you see it through the circle cut out.
 I layered a little red heart to the hand of the squirrel with foam tape and added the Valentine sentiment to the bottom corner so you don't see it until you open the card.
I was inspired to make this card by these earrings from Villa Sorgenfrei Etsy shop - for the Inspiration Challenge over on Splitcoast this past Saturday.


So there you go - some easy, quick to work up ideas for Valentine's treats and cards!




Corked bottles:
Stamps:  Tiny Treats: Valentines - PTI
Paper:  White - PTI, sparkly card stock - Michaels
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories:  heart punch - EK Success, wrinkled seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop, word window punch -SU

Muslin treat bags:
Stamps:  My Heart - Waltzingmouse
Ink:  Ranger Distress Festive Berries, Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories:  muslin bags - from a garden shop.

Puppy Card:
Stamps:  inside (not shown) - Tiny Treats: Valentine - PTI
Paper:  white, true black, pure poppy,  patterned papers - PTI, brown bazzill
Accessories:  Dog/Puppy Bigz die - Sizzix, Scor Tape

Snowman Valentine:
Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Sweethearts
Paper: white, pure poppy - PTI, patterned papers - retired SU
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: heart punch - EK Success, wrinkled seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop, snowman die - Winter Wonder Tim Holtz Alterations, black rhinestone - Kaiser Craft 

Nuts for You: 
Stamps: Papertrey Ink - My Puny Valentine
Paper: vintage cream, pure poppy, true black - PTI, Cordinations brown, Brushed gold - SU
Ink: Memento Potters Clay, Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories: circle Nestabilities, small heart punch - McGill, retro circles embossing folder - Sizzix Tim Holtz

8 comments:

Laurel said...

Wonderful cards! LOVE those doggies!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

I just love all the projects you made for Valentine's Day! Hope you and KEnt are feeling better. We had chicken soup last night, thinking of you....wish I could have pushed some through the phone! (Not what we were having with you, but yummy anyway!)Have a low key day, enjoy the game, and root for SF! Love, Anne and all.

Tenia Nelson said...

LURVE all of your awesome projects!!!

Riet said...

This is so beautiful Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Vicki Dutcher said...

WTG! You rather ROCKED all these out! LOVE the dog cards!!

Anonymous said...

They're all fabulously clever but those lil' doggies just stole my heart! I know the recipients will be so thrilled with all the wonderful things you've made!

Annette Allen said...

oh my word how totally adorable.. I am in love with those little doggies... great projects..

dpkennedy said...

Oh my, you have been busy! These are all adorable! I especially like the dog cards! Too cute Julia!