Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Sweet Summertime

Today I have a fun summertime card to share that I made to send to my friend's twin daughters who are away at camp this week.   They love to get mail there!  I made two cards using the same supplies but with a few differences!

I had cut out these cute sunglasses from the cold drink plastic cups Starbucks used last year - there were 4 styles of glasses - and I bought a lot of cold drinks that summer!  
(I don't know if they are using the same design on their cups this summer).

To make the background, I  sprinkled Brushos in Orange, Lemon and Yellow over Tim Holtz' Rays stencil and spritzed with water.  I removed the stencil carefully and dried the panel with my heat tool.
There was a lot of watered down Brushos on the top of the stencil I had just used on the panel above - so I flipped the stencil over onto a clean panel of white card and pressed over the stencil with a paper towel giving me the negative image of the stencil below.
I adhered the sunglasses onto the cards with a foam dot along the bridge of the glasses.  I stamped the sentiment on a strip of Summer Sunrise card and adhered it to the panel with more foam dots.  

My card design was inspired by the Featured Stamper challenge over at SplitcoastStampers this past Sunday.  Cindy was the FS and I CASED this card of hers - changing colors and techniques used.


I'm also linking my cards to:
House of Cards: July Challenge - Stripes and/or colors
I used stripes and 2 shades of yellow


Stamps:  Special Delivery Sentiments - PTI
Paper:  white, true black, summer sunrise - PTI
Ink:  True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Brushos - Orange, Lemon, Yellow, Water Mister, Rays Stencil - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, foam dots, glasses from Starbucks cold drink cup, Sentiment Die - MFT

12 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What a fun idea Julia, I adore those sunglasses combined with the sunrays, fabulous cards. Tracy x

Loll said...

How cute are these??!! :) I bet the girls loved getting them in the mail at camp. :) xx

Brenda Brown said...

I love using the colours left on a stencil and both designs are glorious. Those glasses are just so wonderfully cute and I bet the twins loved receiving their fun cards xxx

nancy littrell said...

You have inspired me Julia to try Brushos thru stencils. Love the monoprint on your 2nd card too. The twins will love their fun summertime cards. The sunglasses are just great!! My twin sister and I always got mail at camp too. Always just stationery with a letter in those days:-) TFS my friend. Hugs..

Rocky said...

Love the positive and the negative with your stencil and the glasses are a great touch. Thank you for joining us at HOC.

SewPaperPaint said...

The effect is so cool Julia! I wish I had some Brushos or Color Burst powders. Fun stuff! I had to chuckle that we both had posts with sunglasses - hee hee! :) Hugs, Autumn

Darnell said...

Seriously, Sis, these are crazy fun! The girls are going to swoon over them! And what a genius tip for flipping the stencil for a second fabulous print!! Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

What a fun card, Julia! Love that sunshine and the sunglasses!

sarascloset said...

Julia, I bet the twins were so excited to get this happy mail at camp! Perfect for a summer day! Those sunglasses are an adorable embellishment! I love your use of Brushos on your 'simple' cards! Got to get my hands on some of these! Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

Love both the positive and the negative of those fabulous sunshine rays - these would lift anyone's spirits if they turned up in the mail.
Alison x

Judy V said...

Fun and Creatuve card! Thanks for sharing with us at House of Cards!

kartkadopolski said...

Such a fun summer card. Thank you for sharing your project with all of us at House of Cards July Challenge: stripes and/or colour

Katarzyna Ewa

my blog
DT House of Cards Challenge blog