Sunday, October 15, 2017

CAS Mix Up Challenge - October Mid-Month Reminder - Layering Stencils

I'm here today with a mid-month reminder that you still have until October 24th to link up a card for the CAS Mix Up Challenge!   I am the hostess this month and this is my challenge:
For my card, I used stamping, layering stencils and a stitched edge die.
Here is a pic of the supplies I used -  the stencil is from The Crafters Workshop and I overlapped 3 of the stencil designs inking each one with a different Ranger Distress Oxide Ink.  I used Salty Ocean, Abandoned Coral and Spiced Marmalade. Distress Oxides are really juicy so you need to dry each stenciling before moving onto the next when you overlay them.  Also with a stencil like this you need to clean it off well and dry it before stenciling another part on your panel - you can get smudges 
(you can see a couple of smudges on my panel below! luckily they mostly got cut off with the die!)
I die cut the stenciled panel with a stitched edged rectangle and then spritzed it lightly with water.  The water makes the Oxides turn chalky and sort of seals them into the cardstock.  I layered it to the card base with foam dots and stamped my sentiment.

 After I made my first card - I tried another using the same stencil but different color inks - this one looks more masculine using Distress Oxide Inks in Peeled Paint, Frayed Burlap and Walnut Stain.
So please join us over at the CAS Mix Up Challenge and show us how you layer stencils on your CAS card!   You have until Oct 24th!
Stamps:  Clearly Sentimental about Art - MFT (no longer available)
Paper:  White - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Oxide - Spiced Marmalade, Salty Ocean, Abandoned Coral, Peeled Paint, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, True Black and Cocoa Bean - PTI
Accessories: Stencil - The Crafters Workshop (TCW), water mister, Stitched Edge Rectangle Die - WMS, foam dots.

11 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Lovely work! Jo x

Mac Mable said...

Such artsy cards and love how you've used the layering of the stencils technique x

nancy littrell said...

Love both your CAS layering stencils design, Julia. TFS the tip about drying each overlapped layer when using DOX inks. I love the result. The TCW stencils are my favorite's. I love how many have several stencil images on just one stencil. That is what I used for my sample, except I used 2 different stencils than you using I think a total of 11 images...What fun!! TFS and so pleased you chose this theme. I have another card in the works to finish in a few days:-) Hugs..

Bonnie said...

I love both versions of this stenciling, Julia! This is such a great challenge and even though I was apprehensive about it, I really enjoyed it! Thanks so much for hosting this month!

Loll said...

Hi Julia. I love the three stencils you've used. They are perfect together in both colour combinations, yet totally different. You are so creative! I have enjoyed playing with layering stencils, something I have not dome in the past. Always great to try a new-to-me technique. Thanks for hosting this month at CAS Mix UP ... you did a FANTASTIC job!! xx

Christine Alexander said...

love the pop of colour with your first card and more muted colours of the second is stunning. Simplicity at it's best :)

Papercraft Boutique said...

I love both cards, Julia! Very simple and effective design! Thank you so much for choosing the fun theme. I've been enjoying using my stencils. Thank you also for the great tips for preventing smudges. Hideko :-)

Sue said...

Two fabulous cards, Julia! Love your design and how the two cards look very different with the colour combinations.

Susan said...

What a great way to change the look to create a masculine card!! I love both colour combinations, and the choice of stencils you layered. Lots of good tips to help us avoid smudges - I need that reminder as I'm always so eager to keep going on a card!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

OOH! I really like the modern art look to your cards!! fab saying, of course!! Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliant CAS design - that's so effective. Love both colour versions.
Alison x