Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Cardz4Guys Challenge - Watches or Clocks

Today is my third week as August Guest Designer at the Cardz4Guys challenge -  this week the challenge is watches or clocks.
I just learned a new technique while participating in last weeks Split Coast Stampers Dare to Get Dirty week long challenges.  KelliJo called it a "distressed stenciled' background.  It involves a stencil, Distress ink and Perfect Pearls and water.  I used Perfect Pearls Mist already made up in a spray bottle - but  you can make your own spray by mixing water with Perfect Pearls powder.
First I inked up a white card stock panel by rubbing Ranger Distress Brushed Corduroy ink all over it.
Next, I took a stencil -  this is Clock Work from Tim Holtz -  I laid it on a piece of computer paper inside a pizza box (to contain the spraying!) and sprayed all over the stencil with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist.
Then I flipped the stencil over onto my inked panel (so the sprayed side is against the panel).  I placed another piece of computer paper over the stencil and pressed over it quickly with my fingers to be sure the stencil touched the card completely.
 Then I pulled the stencil off the card stock and was left with this wonderful shimmery design!  Cool, right?!!
I cut a clock face out of a piece of patterned paper from  Tim Holtz Paper Stash 8"x8" Collage (it fit perfectly with my 2" circle punch!  I layered it to a 2" circle of Kraft card stock to give it a little more  thickness.  I sponged the edges of both the clock and the stenciled panel with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.
I embossed two Game Spinners and a Word Band with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder.
I layered the clock face onto the panel with foam dots.
I looped a piece of Linen Ribbon through the Word Band and attached it to the panel with two mini staples.  I adhered a Small Talk Sticker that I cut in half and drew around them with a black Stabilo pencil and rubbed it with my finger to blur it.

I hope you'll join us over at the Cardz 4 Guyz challenge where you'll find lots of inspiration from the Design Team  -  there's a new challenge every Tuesday so I'll see you next week with another masculine creation!

I'm also linking this to the following challenges:
Virginia's View - Embellishments 
House of Cards - Metallics

 Frosted Designs - Metal/Metallics
Paper:  White, Rustic Cream, Kraft - PTI, PaperStash 8x8 collage - Ranger
Ink:  Ranger Distress Brushed Corduroy, Versamark
Accessories:  Clock Work Stencil - Tim Holtz, Idea-ology Game Spinners, Word Bands, Small Talk Stickers, Linen Ribbon;  Mini Attacher - Ranger, Black Stabilo pencil

19 comments:

Julie B said...

I love using that monoprint technique, it's worked so well here. :)

Lisa Lynn said...

Love your card!

Lee-Anne said...

That's an awesome design...love the technique Julia!

Annette Allen said...

wow you go girl.. this is awesome.

JayBe said...

What a fab design, Julia - I love the distressed stencilled background and the little touch of embossing powder on your sentiment.
Hugz, Jan xx

Judy V said...

Great masculine card! Thanks for sharing with us at House of Cards!

Deb said...

Gorgeous card and great technique Julia, thanks for sharing it with us!

Jane Willis said...

a fab card and a great tutorial
Jane

*Vicki* said...

Julia, this is really awesome!! Love your distress ink background and your stencil design for this!! Very cool! :)

StephC said...

Wow, what a fantastic masculine card! I love all of the layers and textures, and that clock is perfect. So glad you joined us for this months House of Cards challenge!

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Fantastic and fab design. Love the details and techniques. Thanks for your entry in our challenge at Frosted Designs!

Mynn xx said...

This is AMAZING, Julia! I adore the wonderful texture and colors--perfect masculine card! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Julia! Love all the clocks and the vintage vibe! Great job with the stenciled background!

foleysfriend said...

WOW! What an awesome card - beautiful, intricate detail; thank you for the tutorial - I'm going to try to replicate the effect.

Thanks for joining us at House of Cards
sue n.
HOC DT

Kim Heggins said...

Amazing card....just incredible.

Shawna said...

What a great card!! According to your tutorial it doesn't seem all that difficult but the finished product is absolutely wonderful!! I love this card!!!

Donna B. said...

Another cool vintage card. I really love that clock!! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Katy said...

Love love love this!! Thank you for showing the steps too! I love knowing another way to use my stencil and your metallic technique is awesome! I love the "rusted" clock hands and words. Very cool! :) Thank you so much for joining us at House of Cards! :)

ElizabethR said...

Great card love the techniques, thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs, Elizabeth x