Monday, July 23, 2018

Birthday Journal Trinket Box using Eileen Hull Sizzix Dies and Color Box Blends Ink

My grandniece, Mila, turns 6 in August  - and I always make special personalized cards for each of the grands. 
For Mila's card this year, I used Eileen Hull's  Sizzix dies to make a Wrapped Journal Trinket Box!  Here it is closed up.   I die cut 2 labels from Bookplate Hinges and Labels  and added 'Mila is 6' using my Brother Label maker.
I know Mila will be opening and closing this box a lot - so I wanted an easy but durable clasp, so I screwed a Hitch Fastener in the binding area and looped a piece of elastic cord through the cover.  
I was afraid Velcro would eventually rip off the paper and she doesn't know how to tie yet if I bound it with a ribbon!

I adhered washi tape along the top and bottom of the binding and front cover - to hide the holes in the binding that would have been used to attach the signature pages inside the journal.
The Journal cover opens to reveal a Trinket Box inside - where I again used the Hitch Fastener and elastic cording for the clasp.
I glued some rhinestones over the holes in the cover that would have been used to tie the signatures into the journal. 
Inside the Trinket Box, I placed several photos of Mila from this past year as well as a Happy Birthday Balloon!  
And Mila can add her own 'little' things like bracelets and figurines!
I added die cut balloons and sentiment circle on this panel.  The hearts come from the Journaling Cards die
I added my salutation on this panel - using a die cut from Credit Card Sleeve and Tags die.  I cut out the small flower from Bookmark Tag and Pocket Dies out of the panel and then out of a lighter pink and inserted the lighter flower into the space!

I adhered a panel cut from Journaling Cards - Hearts into the bottom of the trinket box adding some heart rhinestones.  A 6 year old can never have enough bling right??!!
Here are the photos of Mila from this past year that I placed inside the Trinket Box - held together with a key chain so she can just pull out the all the photos at once.  I cut all the photos to 3" x 4" size and rounded the corners.
To cover the Wrapped Journal with patterned paper - I die cut two pieces, one of dots (this has large dots on one side and small dots on the other - the same with the plaid.
I find it is easier to use 2 or 3 panels rather than one big piece - as the paper can pull away from the folds.  I used two panels here - and I creased the paper at the folds before gluing them onto the matboard.
I inked the sides of the box and the box binding with Tutu Color Box Blends Ink.  It's so easy to do with the foam applicator on the ink container.
I also inked the inside of the Wrapped Journal on the places I didn't put patterned paper.
To keep the black elastic cord from pulling through the hole I punched -  I cut a circle from Eileen's Bookmark Tag and Pocket Dies out of White Paper Leather and made two holes to tie the elastic through (like those old hole protectors you could stick on notebook paper!)  I did the same thing on the Trinket Box clasp.
I'm pretty sure Mila will love her little box card!
 During the month of July, Eileen's Inspiration Team will be posting creative projects using Eileen's Book Club 2 dies and Color Box Blends Ink.  
Each week the projects will be gathered and posted on Eileen's blog so be sure to check it out!

Also linking my birthday 'card' to:

Stamps:  Party Time - Stamplorations
Paper:  White Little Stizzles Mat Board - Sizzix, White Leather Paper - Sizzix, Hibiscut Burst, Raspberry Fizz, Sweet Blush, Pale Peony,  Bitty Big Pale Peony Patterned Paper Collection - PTI.
Ink:  Tutu Color Box Blends Ink, True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Wrapped Journal Die, Trinket Box & Frame Dies, Journaling Cards Dies, Credit Card Sleeve & Tag Dies, Bookplate Hinges & Label Dies, Bookmark Tag and Pocket Dies, Floral Arch and Words dies - Eileen Hull/Sizzix,  Numbers Die, Balloon Die - PTI,  Happy Birthday Die - Ali Express, washi tape, key chain, rhinestones, Blossom Bakers Twine - The Twinery, Zutter Corner Rounder, black round elastic cord -  Joann, Hitch Fasterners - Idea-ology, P touch Brother Label Maker, photos, Crop a Dile punch, ScorTape, Tombow Glue.

12 comments:

Thelma said...

Wow, what an amazing little treasure. Lucky little lady.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Well, you need to pick me up off the floor, Julia! This is OUTSTANDING! She certainly will open and close it a lot! It's beautiful, useful, sweet, sparkly - all the perfect elements! Excellent work!

Christine Alexander said...

Julia, she's going to love it, I wish I was one of your grand daughters what an amazing gift :)

Susan said...

What an amazing design! It is so perfect for a little girl to keep her treasures in.

Bonnie said...

This will become a treasure box, I think, Julia! A beautiful and memorable card/gift for Mila's birthday!

nancy littrell said...

Wow...What an amazing and beautiful and very special treasure box for your sweet niece, Mila. I am so impressed with your cleverly designed opener too. TFS your box and all the photos, Julia. I can just imagine all the time and love that went into your project and post. Love and Hugs..and Happy Birthday Mila.

Mac Mable said...

One special and unique creation...made with love, which I am sure she will treasure x.

Lindsey said...

What a sweet birthday trinket box! So much work and detail went into this, I love it! Thanks for linking up with us at Seize the Birthday!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Julia, what a cute pink trinket box you made for your niece, Mila! Looking at each step-by-step picture, I can see your love for her in details you worked on. I'm sure she'll love it! Hideko xx

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Love this pairing of projects - and what a treasure for that little lady!

cm said...

Mila will be thrilled to bits-and-pieces when she receives this awesome, made-especially-for-her trinket box! Heart-warming; heart-touching! Oh, to see her face when she opens it...I can just imagine her wide-eyed wonder and mega-watt smile in receiving such a thoughtful gift from her grand-aunty! Thrilled you shared this *work of love* in the Inkspirational gallery!
~carol

Loll said...

Oh my gosh, Julia ... this trinket box is AMAZING! Mila is going to go crazy for it!! What a special gift handmade by her very talented Aunt Julia. A wonderful keepsake! I can't believe she is turning 6 already ... time flies. xx