Thursday, March 15, 2018

Mid Month CAS Mix Up Reminder: Acetate

Just a reminder you have until 3/24 to link up your CAS Mix Up Challenge card!  This is Susan's challenge for us.
For my card today, I used heat embossing on acetate, stamping, die cuts and half pearls.
I stamped flowers from Corner Adorner: February Set by PTI (just $5!) onto a strip of acetate using Versamark.  
I used an Embossing Buddy over the acetate first - but it still left little bits of black embossing powder in the clear spaces.  So I decided to use Alcohol Inks on the back of the acetate so then the black bits looked like splatter!  
It is tricky heat embossing acetate - it's easy to melt it - so you just have to experiment to see the best technique for the acetate that you have.
I die cut the front of the card using Noted: Scalloped A2 Vertical Die from PTI.  I cut a piece out of the front panel and adhered the acetate panel using ScorTape on the edges.  Here you can see how it's see through when you open the card.

Here's a photo of the Alcohol Inking process -  I first embossed the black flowers on the acetate, then added several colors of Alcohol Inks onto the felt pad and applicator and pounced the pad onto the back of the embossed acetate.
The sentiment is from Sentiment Staples - Birthday Mini Set from PTI (another set just $5.00!) 
A really impressive CAS Birthday card I think!
Here's the link for the CAS Mix Up!  Please join us and show how you use Acetate in a CAS way! You have until 3/24!

I'm also linking my card to:





Stamps:  Corner Adorner: February Mini Set, Sentiment Staples - Birthday - PTI
Paper: White, Clear Cardstock (acetate) - PTI
Ink: Versamark, Hero Arts Black
Accessories:  Noted: Scalloped A2 die - PTI, Alcohol Inks Watermelon, Sail Boat Blue and Shell Pink - Adirondack,  Patina AI from Ranger.  Black Half Pearls, Black Embossing Powder, heat tool, Embossing Buddy pillow,

17 comments:

Mac Mable said...

The alcohol ink technique really looks fabulous and great idea about the splats. Love how the strip of acetate shows through with the wonderful stamping on the inside too. Creative and beautiful card x

Dotty Jo said...

Looks fabulous! I'd probably just set fire to the whole thing, but you've done a great job, Jo x

froebelsternchen said...

A fabulous design!

Loll said...

So pretty! Love this sweet scalloped-edged card Julia. The black embossing on the acetetate turned out well. But I know what you mean about black embossing powder ... it goes everywhere it's not supposed to be. :) Great save by adding the soft coloured AIs to the background. xx

laurie said...

Gorgeous! Love that panel!

Bonnie said...

I love how you've used the acetate, Julia! And how clever to use the bits of scattered embossing powder in the background! It's perfect! I also love how you can see the flower panel from the inside too! A fun card, my friend!

Susan said...

Great idea to add the alcohol ink to the back of the acetate to make the stray bits of black embossing powder look like splatter - it looks fabulous. The scalloped edge suits the shapes of the flowers perfectly.

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful heat embossed flowers on your acetate, Julia. I love how you added your alcohol inks, which made your black eb powder look like splatters. A beautiful save, my friend. How cool that you can see both sides of your pretty panel when you open your card. TFS your detailed description too. So fun how we all teach each other new little tricks. Hugs...Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

perfect combination with the black embossing and the AI background. the black flecks look like they are meant to be. Awesome card.

Jo said...

I adore the approach to this card Julia. Wouldn't have noticed the black splatters of embossing powder if you hadn't mentioned it. Thought it was all intended :D Love the design of this card too, from the scalloped front panel to the black sentiment along with the 3 black pearls. Truly a BEAUTY, xx

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I must try this technique on Acetate, looks amazing on your beautiful card. Great save using your alcohol inks for the black splatters, I didn't even noticed until I read your post.
Thank you for sharing with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, hope you play again soon.
Hugs.

Cathy said...

Love this design Julia, and what a save with the black stray embossing! Those alcohol inks look fantastic as a background! Cathy x

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Julia! What a fun technique! Love all the inky goodness!

Papercraft Boutique said...

This is so pretty, Julia! I love the combination of the bold black cartoony flower images and the artsy soft alcohol ink background. And what a clever way to make a see-through acetate strip! Hideko xx
p.s. I ruined two of my AI acetate backgrounds when I heat-embossed them today. ;-( They warped so quickly. I should have read your warnings yesterday!

Pat said...

This is a marvellous design Julia using the scalloped edged die, and love the see through nature of the acetate with the pretty flowers and alcohol inks, and two great sentiments used inside and out. x

Trina P. said...

Beautiful, Julia. The bold black flowers against the soft pretty AI colours is a fab contrast. Love the see through window. x

My Paper Epiphany said...

Fantastic design Julia and great save!