Monday, January 22, 2018

Eileen Hull Book Binding Die - Things to Do Notebook

Today I have a great little 'Things to Do' notebook that I created using Eileen Hull's new Book Binding Die from Sizzix along with her Book Plate Hinges and Label thinlit dies - these dies are part of her Book Club - Chapter 1 die collection.
I found a pack of index cards at Staples that were vertically oriented that worked perfectly in my notebook.
Another thing I found among the journaling aisles at Staples was this cool piece that you can slip on the rings to hold pens!  I put it onto the back of my journal but if I'm putting this in my pocketbook for notes - I probably will take it off since the pen sticks out on the sides,  but if you are leaving this around the house to write in - it would be good to have the pen attached!
Here are a few photos of how I put this together.
The piece on the right is the Book Binding Movers and Shapers Die - you need to have a magnetic cutting tray to use Movers and Shapers dies - I added a spacer of foam to the left to keep my paper level while it was being cut.
Here is how I lined up my pages over the die.  I laid the piece just below the outside edge of the cutting piece.  Also, these index cards were only wide enough to have 3 cuts - so the 4th one is uncovered at the bottom here.
You need to clean out the pieces that stay inside the die each time you cut using a pick of some kind. Be careful not to pull out the rubber piece that is inside the die - if it comes out a little, just push it back in!



I cut the covers out of matboard - cutting them just a little wider and longer than my index card pages.  I die cut the slots in these and then used my corner rounder on the corners.
I die cut the label and one of the hinges from Book Plate Hinges and Label thinlit set to decorate my cover. I wanted it to look interesting but not thick so it would slide easily into my pocketbook. 
I used a something from my scraps pile for the large label.  I made the panel using Bristol Smooth Surface paper that I shook Sleight Blue Infusions over and spritzed with water.  Then I quickly laid a piece of Cling Wrap over the panel and squished it up and let dry.   I removed the cling wrap and had this lovely marbelized panel!
I die cut the hinge/label out of black cardstock and embossed the sentiment in white.
I wanted the covers to be a little protected, so I brushed over them with Gel Medium.
I got out the Mini Discs to bind my covers and pages.  The smaller the disc the less pages you can have in your book -  the discs come in several sizes and many colors.  You can find them at Staples, Walmart and Joann.   If they don't have them in the stores - look on their web sites.  
You just push the discs into the slots, a few pages at a time depending on thickness.
I felt my cover needed something else - and decided to outline the labels with Gold Leaf Finish that I had in my craft room - I've had it for years and don't think I ever used it before!  It is a liquid like watery paint and you need to use it in a well ventilated space.   I think it was just the right touch!

My Things to Do notebook measures 5 1/4" x 3 1/4".
The Inspiration Team is posting projects using Eileen's Book Club dies all month - please check it out over on Eileen's blog!

I'm linking my little notebook to:
Stamps:  Take Note - Papertrey Ink
Paper:  Black Little Sizzles Mat Board - Sizzix, Bristol Smooth Surface Paper, black cardstock - PTI
Ink:  Versamark
Accessories:  Book Binding Movers and Shapers Die, Book Plate hinges and Label Thinlit Dies - Eileen Hull/Sizzix, Oxford Ruled Index Cards - Staples, Zutter Corner Rounder, Mini Discs - The Happy Planner/Me and My Big Ideas, white embossing powder, heat tool, Sleight Blue Infusions - PaperArtsy, cling wrap, water mister, Dina Wakley Gel Medium, pen holder tab - Staples, Gold Leaf Finish.

11 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Such a cool looking note book, love your cling wrap background

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous little notebook Julia, I love your cover, the infusions look fabulous set against the black. Thank you also for your gorgeous card you sent to me, I really appreciate your kind thoughts. Big hugs. Tracy x

MaryH said...

Oh my, what a lovely & useful project. Enjoyed the picture tutorial, and what details you mastered to create the book. Like the Staples find to hold the pen. I really liked the infusion-cling wrap label, and the gold edging was just the right decorative edge to make the label pop. I don't have that particular color of infusion, nor have I tried infusions with cling film as yet, but now I shall! Beautiful notebook. TFS

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous note book, beautifully put together Julia, love it xxx

Bonnie said...

What a handy little notebook, Julia! I love the different colors that show from the Infusions! That piece made a wonderful front piece!

Nancy Wethington said...

What a great notebook! Your tutorial is impressive and easy to follow. This will be a must-try on my list. Thanks for sharing your project on the Mini Album Makers Challenge blog.

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh my gosh Julia! I've been drooling over this on FB for days and am so happy to see all of the wonderful details you included in your post. I just love your top binding! It makes me want this die all the more. What a beautiful and useful little book! We are so thankful you shared with us at Mini Album Makers and make sure to check out our current giveaway on the blog. Big hugs, Autumn

Loll said...

Awesome note book Julia! Love the front panel with the dark colours of infusions and cling wrap ... very cool!! xx

Redanne said...

Julia, your things to do book is wonderful, I love that the Staples pages fit so well (have some and will try this!) and the panel you added to the front is beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at Mini Album Makers this month. Hugs, Anne xx

Gloria Stengel said...

I love a blank notebook! It is one of those things that I have collected and made since I was a kit. I used to staple construction paper and notebook paper together to make notebooks back in the 1970's. Now...I love to make all sorts of notebooks! I would love to try this design using those fab dies!! Your book is an inspiration!! Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers this month!

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, such an elegant notebook, Julia - the binding is so cool, and I love the Infusions panel. Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers.
Alison x