Friday, September 9, 2016

Marbled Dragonfly Sympathy

I have yet another card (actually 2) to share that I made for the Sept CAS Mix it Up Card Challenge.  When I practiced the technique - I tried using different papers - gloss, manila tag and regular card.  I wasn't happy with how it worked on the regular cardstock and didn't use those.  I had better success with the Gloss card , making 3 different panels 2 of which I'm using today - one panel came out dark and the 2nd panel came out lighter.
Here's the darker panel.
 I stenciled on the white card base using Wendy Vecchi Lots of Dots Stencil with Green Parakeet Ink from PTI.  I stamped the marbled panel with a Tim Holtz stamp from Classics #1 set using Archival Jet Black Ink.  I adhered the panel to the card.  I stamped the sympathy sentiment from Simply Stamps on a strip of Green Parakeet card and popped it up over the panel with foam dots.
Here's a close up of the marbling.
Here is my second card using the marbling panel that came out lighter - I also made the sentiment strip smaller.  
In case you missed my other posts using this Floating Alcohol technique -  I dropped Alcohol inks in Sail Boat and Citrus into a bowl of water.  Then I dipped my panels in and out of the water.  The alcohol inks float on the water - so they adhere to the panel as the paper goes into and out of the water.  You can see Andy Skinner's video of this technique here.
Although I stamped the dragonfly off the edge - the stamp is the full image of the dragonfly along with some more text.  Here's a close up of the lighter marbling on this panel.
I really love how both of these cards came out using this fun new technique.  
Here's the link to the CAS Mix Up Challenge.

Stamps:  Sympathy - Simply Stamps, Dragonfly -  Classics #1 set -Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  Gloss Card - Ranger, White and Parakeet Green - PTI
Ink:  Parakeet Green - PTI, Archival Jet Black, Adirondack Alcohol Inks - Sailboat Blue and Citrus.
Accessories:  Lots of Dots Stencil - Wendy Vecchi/Stampers Anonymous, foam dots, water, bowl.

6 comments:

SmilynStef said...

I adore these cards ... fantastic technique.

nancy littrell said...

Both your cards are so creative and beautiful Julia. I love your marbled backgrounds and artsy dragonfly stamp. Wonderful sympathy cards my friend. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up and sharing both versions of your marbled backgrounds. Hugs, Nancy

Brenda Brown said...

Both are beautiful Julia and very fitting as sympathy cards. Great job. xxx

Bonnie said...

More pretty backgrounds, Julia! I love the dragonfly! Both of these are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at CAS Mix Up!

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous cards...love that dragonfly and all that gorgeous green.

Loll said...

Looks like you had a lot of success with the Floating Alcohol ink technique Julia. Lots of amazing cards from your marbled pieces. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx