Saturday, June 4, 2016

James - the Force of Five

Grandnephew James is celebrating his 5th birthday today (his actual b'day was 5/27).  And I just had to make him a personalized card!  I always try to find a current photo that someone in the family has taken of the birthday child - and figure out a design that either goes along with the party theme - or with some sport or activity that the birthday child is involved in at the time.
So -  James party invitation was a Star Wars character and James loves doing the little Lego kits (he's really good at putting them together all by himself) - and so this card was born!  The photo of James is one that his mum took on the actual day of his birthday last week.
I cut a piece of chipboard 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" as my card base and added a layer of black and white stars DP.  I found the Star Wars images on line just by 'googling' Star Wars.  The little Lego Darth Vada was perfect - I love how stumpy he is (!) and the ships on the background photo are actually made out of Legos too!
I used a Vial Label to frame the Label Letters spelling JAMES. I added a little red gem to Darth Vada's laser sword and to James name panel.  I typed out The Force of FIVE sentiment on Microsoft Word and printed it  - as a play on words of the Star Wars title Force for Change.  
(get it?  James is FIVE and a force to be reckoned with?!!!)
 Here you can see how I've popped everything up on foam dots so it has a great dimensional look to it.
I made the card a stand up piece by adding my favorite thing to the back - an easel - die cut with Tim Holtz Small Easel Die - so this card can be displayed on shelf or mantel.
 So we're off to the party -  Pizza and Cake from 2 - 4 pm!  May the Force be with you!!

I'm linking my card to:
 

Paper:  White card, DP Text Style Bitty Star Basics - PTI, Natural Medium Weight Chipboard - Funkie Junkie.
Accessories:  Star Wars Images from Web, photo of James, Small Easel Die - Tim Holtz/Alterations/Sizzix, foam dots, red rhinestones - Michaels, Idea-Ology - Vial Labels, Label Letters, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.

7 comments:

Monika Gulyas said...

What a great card for a little boy! Actually my daughter could appreciate a card like this!

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun card! Love this! Very creative!

Kim Heggins said...

What a fabulous birthday card!!! Just love this.

Colleen said...

This is so creative and adorable...He will love this and Mom will want to keep it on display for a long time!! Awesome birthday card! Thank you for sharing this at Seize the Birthday!

A splash of color said...

WOW what a great card. He will LOVE it. Very cute idea and it turned out just wonderful.

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

What a fabulous card for James. I love the way you personalize things for your grands........always so wonderful for them!! Great job, my friend.

Glenda J said...

What a wonderful card! So much love and attention! Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.