Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Vintage Journey - Tag Friday!

As is the recent tradition over at A Vintage Journey -  when there are 5 Fridays in the month -  some of the Creative Guides create and post tags.  I signed up to create a tag for today - October's 5th Friday!   We can create any kind of tag we like - using any techniques/supplies - always keeping Tim Holtz as our inspiration!  I decided to go with a simple autumn theme.  Even though I love mixed media -  I've discovered I still like 'clean and simple' in my designs!
 Here are some photos of how I colored my tag.  First I rubbed Distress Inks - Ground Espresso, Fossilized Amber and Rusty Hinge on my craft mat, spritzed water on it then rubbed my tag over it, drying it, then rubbing it over the mix again - until I got the colors and look that I wanted.
I stamped one of the text stamps from Ledger Script over the left of my tag with Ground Espresso.  I didn't even use an acrylic block - just inked the stamp and pressed it against the tag with my fingers.
Next I stamped the flower stem from the Flower Garden Set using Ground Espresso Ink - then I colored it in with my Brushed Corduroy Distress Marker.
Have you seen the wonderful flower tutorials my fellow Creative Guide, Jennie has on her blog -  I have admired them from afar -  printing out the tutorials, reading them, and filing them in my craft room for 'some day"!!  Well,  I finally got the nerve to try it out a month or so ago -  and WOWZA -  I can actually make them!!  I made 4 while I was at it - trying out different colors.  Here is the link to all of her flower tutorials and here is the link to the one I used - using Tim's Tattered Florals die.
So I used one of the flowers I made on my tag today.  I forgot to write down  the colors I used when I created them - but I started with Rustic Cream card stock and inked it in a light orange Distress Ink.   Then for my tag I spritzed it with Espresso Distress Spray Stain for a more fallish look.  I brushed a layer of Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint all over the petals and spooned on some Black Micro Beads - then set it aside to dry.  The rose looks rather like a piece of fudge here with the Crackle paint still wet!!??!!
 Here you can see the light color better, that is under the Ground Espresso stain!  I adhered the rose over the stamped stem with Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.
I colored two trimmings to loop through the top of my tag.   First a piece of Trimmings/Lace
and then a piece of Crinkle Ribbon.  I colored both by rubbing Distress Inks Fossilized Amber and Rusty Hinge on my craft mat, spritzing with water and rubbing the trimmings through it - and drying with my heat tool.
 I am so pleased with how my tag came out -  the rose is so large and dimensional - that I really didn't want to put anything else on it accept for stamping the  Handwritten Sentiment and adhering two Small Talk/Occasions Stickers.
You will find several other delightful tags posted with mine over at the A Vintage Journey Blog - I hope you'll stop by there!
Stamps:  Ledger Script, Flower Garden, Handwritten Sentiments - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  #8 Manilla Tag, Dark Chocolate - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Ground Espresso, Fossilized Amber, Rusty Hinge.
Accessories:  Ranger Distress Spray Stain Ground Espresso, Idea-ology - Trimmings/Lace, Crinkle Ribbon, Small Talk, Tattered Floral Die - Alteratioins, Art Ingredients - Black Micro Beads,  Flower tutorial by Jennie

19 comments:

Samra said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! Stunning tag Julia!!! You should have seen my jaw drop when I saw this crafting gem!!! Love it!!!
Hugs
Samra

Annette Allen said...

totally gorgeous.. I love how the flower stands out.. awesome designing.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous tag Julia! The background looks fantastic! Love the beautiful blossom!

Brenda Brown said...

Just love this tag Julia, it is a beautiful golden colour which reminds me of the wonderful falling leaves in my garden and your gorgeous flower is exquisite on the top xxx

S@ndy Diller said...

You may say clean and simple but I say soft and lovely. This tag is a stunner.
S@ndy xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow Julia, your tag looks incredible! Love the background for sure, but that flower is totally out of this world, STUNNING!!!!

Annie said...

Wow.........your flower is amazing Julia.....love the warm tones of the background....such a gorgeous tag reminiscent of autumn and the colours of the leaves/flowers
Huge hugs Annie xx

Nikki Acton said...

Just stunning tones and love the microbeads on the flower - great tag. Nxxx

Words and Pictures said...

I really love this tag, Julia - it has such depth and the colours are so smoky and dramatic. Fabulous bead effect on the flower too - making it a real stunner!
Alison xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow such a stunning tag Julia. The background and colour combinations are stunning, but your flower takes centre stage. I am so pleased you tried the tutorial, but even more pleased that you made such a fabulous and unique flower! Fabulous and I hope to see more flowers!!!! Have a lovely weekend Jennie x

SewPaperPaint said...

Julie, this is stunning! I love the background and the leafy stamp, what interest it adds! The flower is amazing and the beads look so great, like rusted metal until you look closer. Super design! :)

Paper Profusion said...

I'm honestly not copying comments above when I type STUNNING! A real beauty Julia. Nicola x

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

So beautiful.....and I can't imagine how you thought to add the black micro beads........but they are fab!!!

Redanne said...

Well, I am going to say the word three times - stunning, stunning, stunning Julia! From the gorgeous background colours to your fabulous flower - just gorgeous... Hugs, Anne xx

Janice Rosenthal Rock said...

Love this tag!That flower is "killer"!! Thanks - love the idea of adding black micro beads!

A Pink said...

Wow! Your tag is Stunning! Julia I love the background and your flower with the micro beads is absolutely gorgeous! x

experiments in paper said...

I love this tag!! Your background is so compelling and evocative, in those smoky, autumnal colors....and the flower is stunning!! Beautiful! xx Lynn

Karren said...

Wow, this is so amazing, Julia! The depth you've created is fabulous and I just love the monochromatic look.

Jenny Marples said...

Fantastic Julia! I love how the micro beads look on the flower. Jenny x