Friday, August 28, 2015

Make it Monday -- Die Cut Kissing - Halloween Sky

I made today's card for the PTI Make It Monday challenge.  This week Betsy shares her creative new version of stamp 'kissing' -  Die Cut Kissing.  Betsy has a lovely tutorial here.  
Basically, you ink up a flat surface stamp, rock and roll the edges in a darker color, press it lightly against a die cut from a coverplate die to pick up the design from the die cut - then stamp onto a cardstock panel. (watch Betsy's tutorial - it's not quite as confusing as it sounds without pictures!!)

The only flat-ish stamps I could find from the plethora of PTI stamps I own - were the Watercolor Wonder Stamps and the only coverplate die I have that I thought would work for this is the Night Sky Cover Plate. And here is the card I made using Betsy's Die Cut Kissing Technique.
Here's a photo of the die cut piece of the coverplate -  you can see where I 'kissed' it with my inked stamps before stamping them onto the Fresh Snow Linen Card stock.  Pressing the stamp lightly onto the die cut piece - picks up the pattern of the die cut -  here it picked up the stars and dots.
I inked my stamps first with Enchanted Evening and then 'rock and rolled' the stamp on my Smokey Shadow ink pad - getting that color only on the edges of the stamp. Then I stamped each stamp onto the linen panel -  here's a close up showing how the 'kissing' transferred the cut outs of the die (stars and dots) to the stamp.  Pretty cool huh?!
I love the look of this - I never would have thought of creating this card on my own - that's the fun of challenges like Make It Monday -  learning and trying out  new techniques!  The headstone and sentiment are from Haunted Headstones Stamps.  I also used the headstone and bat dies from Haunted Headstones Dies.  I used the 'rock and roll' technique in stamping the headstone as well with the blue and black inks.
You'll find the Make it Monday challenge here.
Stamps:  Watercolor Wonder, Haunted Headstone Sentiments - PTI
Paper:  White, Enchanted Evening, True Black, Fresh Snow Linen Cardstock - PTI
Ink:  Smokey Shadow, Enchanted Evening - PTI
Accessories:  Haunted Headstone Dies, Coverplate Night Sky - PTI, black rhinestones - Kaiser, foam dots.

13 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Great card - you've certainly made the most of the new technique! Jo x

Helen F. said...

Julia, your Halloween card looks fabulous with that cool sky you created :-)

Marybeth said...

I almost used the same stamp and then went to the jar. I love how this looks on your spooky card! I never would have thought of this one either. Hope you enjoy your weekend !

Unknown said...

Hi Julia!! I'm so sorry that I haven't been by :( You've been creating so many wonderful cards lately--it's always so fun to see the projects you make :) This is a super fun Halloween card and I'm going to have to check out Betsy's video to see what this technique is all about!! Thanks so much for sharing, Julia!! Happy Friday!! XOXO-Shari

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is a lovely creation!

Annette Allen said...

what a fun card.. i love how you added the stars..

Loll said...

Awesome card ... very cool technique!! Thanks for sharing. xx

Samra said...

WOW!!! What an amazing Halloween card Julia! How creative!
Thank you for the inspiration :)

Hugs :)

Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Wows a! Love the evening sky you have created! Amazing!!!
Excellent work!

Deb said...

You have me totally intrigued with this technique, off to take a closer look at the how to because your results are wonderful Julia! Deb xo

Words and Pictures said...

That's a brilliant design - I love those streaks of starry sky - fantastic card!
Alison xx

Pawsitively Creative said...

Hmmm, many possibilities here with this technique. You did an amazing job with the pics and sharing your process. Your card turned out beautiful! TFS! ~Niki

Kim Heggins said...

Julia, this is so amazing. What a creative Halloween card!