Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Little Domed Church

First - thanks for the get well wishes for my cold, several of you left on my last post!  I finally went to the doctor on Wednesday and she diagnosed sinusitis - so I'm on antibiotics, Sudafed and Flonase nasal spray.  I'm feeling a little better and hopefully with 7 days on the antibiotic it will all clear up.

I wanted to share a project I made as a fund raiser for my church.  We recently had 26 new windows installed in several rooms of our church and, although we got a partial grant from our diocese, we still had to raise $500 for each window.  People have been donating and we have about 2/3rds paid for - but I had this idea when I saw the wonderful little church die from Papertrey Ink. 

First I must give credit - my design was totally inspired by Amy Sheffer's project using these dies here.
Below is my finished little dome scene.
I made 12 of them -  using the PTI Scene It Basic Backer Die with the Spring Rain, a slightly smaller Nestability circle with the Spring Moss and Rustic Cream with the Petite Places Church dies, and the Pop Up Tree dies.  So here are all the pieces cut out.
Our church is cream and brown - so I stamped the Petite Places Church stamps in Rich Cocoa over the Rustic Cream cardstock.
I easily assembled each little church using Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive on the edges - you could also use something like ScorTape.  See how tiny it is in my hand!  LOVE IT!!!  You can punch out each pane of window - but I left mine intact.
I hand drew a little walkway out of the Rustic Cream to fit the space I wanted and adhered that and the church onto the Spring Moss Circle.  I also layered some of the green under the circle to cover the holes left by the trees when you pop them up.
Here is a photo of our church -  St. John's Episcopal, Saugus, MA
I purchased some greenery used for miniature railroads or scenes at a local art shop - called Foliage Clusters/Bushes by Wee Scapes to use around the church.  PTI sells something similar here - but I wanted mine more dense and I like how it worked out!  I just spread some Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive around the church and trees and pressed the greenery onto it.  I added some flower sequins I had in my stash to the bushes for spots of shimmer and color.
 Here are several of them on my work table - I just love miniature things!
I adhered the clear dome over the scene by running the Scotch Quick Dry adhesive along the edge of the dome and carefully placing it over the scene - outside the green edge.  I typed what I wanted on the tag on my computer and printed it on the Rustic Cream cardstock.  I used the Key Tag Punch from SU, punched a hole on the side and looped some Cappuccino Twine through the tag and then tied it in a bow through the loop on the dome.  I then layered the whole thing to a slightly larger scalloped coaster I had in my stash.
And here it is -  how cute ??!!
Here are the 12 -  all completed - even MORE cute. 
A view from the back - sorry for the glare - it's really hard to get a picture of these!
A view from the sky...
Thought I'd also share the poster I made for the window campaign.  I die cut 26 Poppy Stamps windows and 26 small suns from Lil'Inker Designs.  Whenever enough money is collected to pay for one window -  they stick a sun on that window -  we now have suns shining through the top three rows of windows!
Now I hope they sell!
Thanks so much for stopping by today -   I hope you are having a great weekend!  I'm looking forward to hosting my sister's 65th b'day party tomorrow with the family.




24 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Samra said...

WOW!!! Absolutely amazing project!!! I am sure they'll sell :) Have fun hosting your sister's party tomorrow :)

Annette Allen said...

oh they will line up to buy one.. perfect for a fund raiser.. great designing..

Amy Sheffer said...

These are gorgeous, Julia! Your church colors are just perfect! And I love the dimensional greenery! Such a unique idea for a fundraiser -- they'll sell!

Deepti said...

These are so fabulous ! What a cool idea for a fundraiser :) I love all the greenery inside :)

Loll said...

These are so adorable Julia. I'm sure people will be fighting over them. :) What a wonderful project to help raise the funds for the new windows --- so clever.

Glad you are starting to feel better now that you have the meds. Today is my first day of improvement and I'm hoping it will continue. Take care. Loll xx

Pat (mspfd) said...

They sure will sell, cause they are outstanding. Fabulous idea for a fundraiser. Feel better, Julia!!

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow what a fantastic project. You church is adorable and set in this little scene I am sure will give a big boosts to the funds.
Julie x

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Julia, these are fantastic! I love all things teeny weeny and your church looks just like the real one! Great idea for the train foliage, it looks so real! Amazing project and for such a great cause! hugs :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

So adorable! These are sure to sell!

Kay Miller said...

Oh wow! Julia these are amazing!! Of course they will sell! They are so beautifully made!

SueB said...

love. Love. LOVE 'em! I love miniatures too (and hail from Boston/Franklin MA tho' I've long since transplanted to MI); they're awesome as is your window/sun fundraising report idea! thanx for the inspiration!

Mary Marsh said...

These are fabulous Julia- and I am sure they will sell- sorry to hear you have been sick- glad to hear you are on the mend- I just came down with a cold- congestion and cough- yuck

Redanne said...

Oh wow Julia, your little church domes are fabulous - just my kind of crafting and I bet they go like hot cakes at the fund raiser! Good luck, I hope you raise lots of money for the church.

I hope you all had a lovely time at your sister's party too. Hugs, Anne xx

Terry said...

Oh my, Julia these little domed churches are gorgeous! What a brilliant idea and perfect for a fundraiser! Love this!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

I love your art work, but I love your giving to your church even more, Julia! In my younger days I lamented not having moolah enough to help with this or that. Your project is far more than I ever conceived to give of my talents, and the churches are just beautiful!!! Hugs!

Inkypinkycraft said...

what a clever creation x

Miriam Prantner said...

These are absolutely darling! What a labor of love and the perfect item for your church fundraiser!

Words and Pictures said...

Oh my goodness, Julia - what wonderful tiny scenes you've created. The church looks just beautiful surrounded by greenery - they are perfect in the little glass domes... I may have to send Cestina over to check out this post with her "dollshouse glasses"!
Alison xx

Cestina said...

I came and checked. They are adorable...

Maryann scrapbooking said...

Bonjour,

J'adore c'est magnifique.
Quel travail minutieux !

Bravo.
Bises.

MaryannG

Joyce across the Pond said...

These are simply wonderful and I know they will sell....trust you get plenty of $$ for them as I've just made one and know how intricate they are....quite understand why you didn't attach the 'window frames' - they are minute! To have made 12 is dedication indeed. Well done!

Monika/Buzsy said...

These are absolutely fantastic Julia. Love the greenery and the colors... could you tell me what sandwich you used? I have the church die and my folds got cut and some areas did cut properly...

Michelle said...

Hi Julia,
I know you posted this in 2015 but I have this Die set and am making these for Easter this year. I was wondering if you remember where you bought the coasters? By the way these are beautiful. Hope you are still doing well.