Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Make Art - Challenge #1 - Embossing Paste

There's a new Blog Challenge out here called Make Art - celebrating all things Wendy Vecchi.  She is a designer of stamps and products for Ranger - and I have been a devoted fan ever since I took a class Wendy taught at Kim's Eclectic Paperie shop (Kim has closed the brick and mortar shop but still operates the web store!)  And Eclectic Paperie is sponsoring the very first challenge so be sure to check it out!

So - the first challenge is to use embossing paste.  I decided to make a tag for my project.  I used Wendy's Splattered Plaster technique for the background on my tag which involves rubbing inks across your nonstick craft mat (I used Leaf Green and Tree Branch) splashing a lot of Rubbing Alcohol over the inks and mixing with a pallet knife, then spraying Picket Fence Spray Stain once over the mix and then dragging your tag through it  - you will find Wendy's tutorial for this technique here.  Next I used Wendy's Metallic Gold Embossing Paste with her Basically Bricks Stencil - covering just a portion of the area of my tag.  After the paste dried (helped along with my heat tool!)  I stamped the lace from The Beauty of Art set along the top and bottom of the tag and the Vintage Pricing Chart over the embossing - using Watering Can Archival Ink.
I stamped the flower, also from the Beauty of Art set on white card stock with black ink, sponged over it with Orange Blossom and Leaf Green inks and cut it out close to the edges.  I stamped the bloom again, sponged it with Dandelion ink, cut out just a portion of it and layered it over the first flower with foam tape.
I don't have Wendy's new little flower pots - yet!  but I do have Flower Pots Nestabilities so I cut one out - altering it to layer the rim over the base.  I inked the pieces with Tree Branch ink then embossed them with Tree Branch Embossing powder.  Then I stamped over them with the Spatter stamp in Snow Cap Ink (Wendy's Faux Graniteware technique).  I added a Remnant Rub/Botanicals to the pot.
I hope you will check out this fun new challenge blog and join in on the fun -  there will be a new challenge the first Thursday of each month.
Here's Wendy and me at the class I took with her.

Stamps:  The Beauty of Art, Spatter Background, Vintage Pricing Chart - Studio 490 Wendy Vecchi.
Paper:  #8 Manilla tag - Ranger, White and Smokey Shadow - PTI
Ink:  Wendy Vecchi Archival Leaf Gree, Tree Branch, Orange Blossom, Dandelion, Watering Can, Adirondack Snow Cap.
Accessories:  Nestability Flower Pot die, Tree Branch Embossing Powder - Wendy Vecchi, Linen Ribbon and Remnant Rubs/Botanicals - Ranger, Picket Fence Spray Stain, Rubbing Alcohol.

13 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

So fabulous! Love that background~

~amy~ said...

Absolutely LOVE your tag!

Pamellia said...

Wow, gorgeous Julia! I love the gold paste for the texture in the background, goes perfect with the yellow and browns! Beautiful flower with all the layers, it pops!! hugs :)

*Vicki* said...

Really gorgeous tag Julia! Love the Vintage style design!

Terry said...

Julia, I love your textured tag! The yellow colors are so warming and that brick work is perfect! Love this!

Lori said...

Love it Julia! That brick is awesome!

Deepti said...

Love that yellow brick BG :) such a pretty tag!

Annette Allen said...

this tag is gorgeous.. love that flower..

Redanne said...

Your tag really has the wow factor Julia, I love the new technique with the Picket Fence too and your flower looks amazing layered up like that. This really is beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

PS - Nice pic with Wendy too, I get to see her this year, so looking forward to it! x

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous tag Julia! Love the beautiful brick wall texture and your fancy blossom!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful tag, Julia. Your granite pot looks wonderful.

wendy vecchi said...

this is just...
LOVELY!
thanks for joining the challenge & sharing your art!

Jeanne J. said...

Wow! I love that golden brick background. The dimension and shine are wonderful - wish I could see it in person.