Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Vintage Journey - with a Flourish

I almost missed getting this into the latest A Vintage Journey challenge -  With a Flourish.  Not having any of Tim's flourish stamps or dies - I was going to go with one of his embossing folders I had that had vines on it - thinking that could stand as a flourish -  then my eyes fell on the packaging from a recently opened pack of grunge board - and as Jennie mentioned on her challenge - Tim uses flourishes on many of his packaging boards -  SO.........  I made a tag using it.  Even the color of it works for my Halloween design! (see the flourish?!)
I used several newly acquired items on my tag -  the letters are Alpha Parts/Ransom, the owl, tree and bats are from the Sizzlets die Halloween Shadows
The fence is from the Halloween Shadows die as well - and the spooky gravestones are from the Alterations die - Graveyard.   I cut it out of Stone Wash cardstock and swiped it through a mix of Black Soot, Bundled Sage and Picket Fence Distress Paints spritzed with water. 
I popped the graveyard up on the tag using thick foam dots and added some orange rhinestones
I added one of my favorite little Idea-ology items - the Corked vial.  I labeled it with a Remnant Rub/Apothecary - and filled it with the little black pieces that punched out of the fence die to use as 'bat wings'. 
I ran my Black Soot Distress Paint along the edges of the tag -  the packaging has a shine to it so the paint sort of beaded up as I dabbed it on -  so I hit it with my heat tool and it dried nicely!
Since I used NBUS on this - I'm also linking this to Darnell's challenge:

Paper:  Soft Stone, True Black - PTI,  tag cut from Ranger Packaging.
Accessories:  Ranger Distress Paint - Black Soot, Picket Fence, Bundled Sage, Glossy Accents, Rhinestones - Kaiser, Idea-ology - Alpha Parts/Ransom, Remnant Rubs/Apothecary, Corked Vials, Trimmings Naturals Black/Cream, Jute String, Film Strip Ribbon; Mini Attacher - Ranger, foam tape.

16 comments:

Darnell said...

I had to stop for a few minutes until my pacemaker reestablished a steady beat to my heart which had the scrap scared out of it with my first glance at your outrageously spooktacular tag, Julia!! Holy bat guano, the details on this are awe-mazing (a VIAL!)! And, yes, I certainly do see the subtle flourish! You are a genius designer!! Thank you so much for playing in my second NBUS Challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

Annette Allen said...

wow this is boo-tastic.. love all those fun elements.. you totally rocked this tag.. i love it

*Vicki* said...

You are so very good at doing the spooky designs!! I just love this with all of the small details you add too!! Awesome job Julia!

S@ndy Diller said...

Julia -

The packaging couldn't be any more perfect for your great tag.
Sometimes it is hard to throw things away when you think you may use them. In this case it worked out beautifully!! Thanks for joining us on our travels here at A Vintage Journey.

Pat (mspfd) said...

I am amazed with all the fun details you arranged on gorgeous Halloween tag. Well done!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Fabulous!! I love it!

Redanne said...

I can see the flourish, it is beautifully subtle but looks wonderful on your spooky tag - I love all the gem eyes - very spooky indeed! Thanks so much for joining in Jennie's Flourish challenge at A Vintage Journey.

Apologies about my disappearing post, I had to re-do it, no idea why that would happen - that really is spooky! Anne xx

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

This tag is da bomb!! I love all the parts, but how clever to use the spider on the headstone!!! I'll have to case that feature!!

Deepti said...

Oh my what could be more amazing for Halloween than this tag, every single detail is sheer perfection :) I am in awe!!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a spooktacular tag Julia! Lovin' the fun Halloween scene!

Renee said...

This is AWESOME!!!
Absolutely SpooKtacular, Julia...
LOVE it!! :)

Jenny Marples said...

Huge round of applause for the recycling here Julia! Love the way you've layered it up and created a really dramatic tag. You can add Archival Reinkers and alcohol inks to that packaging too! So pleased you made it in time to join us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

Sue from Oregon said...

from regions beyond...now that is a great Halloween sentiment!!!

Ana K. said...

Totally stunning, Julia!!

JD/ Jill said...

Fabulous tag!

dottielottie said...

Hi Julia, just popped over from Darnell's challenge where I spotted your great Halloween tag.I love your vial of bat wings and I see you have used one of the packaging cards for your backdrop, looks great. I have saved these to use too.
Hugs Lottie