Monday, April 21, 2014

Cheer Up Buttercup

Well - it's Monday once again - I hope everyone had a lovely weekend!  We had some sunshine but it was rather cool (50's) and the nights have still been COLD (30's)!   Today is the running of the Boston Marathon - and I work at a hospital right near the finish line.  I decided to take the day off, rather than be in the middle of all the crowds honoring the anniversary of last year's tragedy.

For today's card - I used some new things and some old things on my card -  
The  new thing is the fun background stamp from WPlus9 Borders and Backgrounds set - it's a strip of dots and when you stamp them repeatedly, it looks like rain falling, doesn't it?!  The old thing is the umbrella and sentiment stamps from Scattered Showers from Papertrey Ink.  I stamped the dotted umbrella in Mustard Seed Distress Ink onto Harvest Gold card stock - then stamped the outline stamp over the dotted stamping, cut it out and layered it onto the panel with foam dots. I love this sentiment - it cheers me up just reading it for some reason!  I cut my panel with a stitched mat rectangle die and layered it over a piece of Washi tape adhered onto the card base.  I made my own enamel dots by baking Perler beads which I showed on this post.

I'm linking this card to two challenges:
My design was inspired by Seize the Sketch
And the Card Concept challenge is to use an umbrella - my card is Clean and Layering

Stamps:  Scattered Showers - PTI, Borders and Backgrounds - WPlus9.
Paper:  White, Harvest Gold - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Mustard Seed and Tumbled Glass, Archival Garden Gate
Accessories:  foam dots, washi tape - Michaels, enamel dots - home made from Perler Beads.

23 comments:

Alli said...

Love the colour combo!
Such a sweet card!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Cute card, I love the rain!
I think you were wise to avoid the crowds - I heard they are electing nearly DOUBLE the number of people this year. Yikes!

Kelly Griglione said...

It does look like rain!! And I need to catch up and find out how you made those dots! I've seen pony beads melted, but they looked bigger than "normal". These look just the right size! I didn't realize you work right near the marathon finish line. I'm sure it's a very difficult day for you this year. Blessings!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a pretty card Julia! Love the background and sweet umbrella! One of my all time PTI faves! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessi Fogan said...

This is utterly adorable, Julia! I love love love that sentiment, since I say it to my kids all the time :) So glad you came to play with us at Seize the Sketch!

~amy~ said...

Who wouldn't love getting a Buttercup card? Awesome card Julia!

Thanks for playing with us at Seize the Sketch:)

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is delightful! Wonderful interpretation of the sketch.

Nancy Penir said...

Darling card Julia! Yes it does look like rain, and I must watch your 'making dots' tutorial! They're calling me!

Miriam Prantner said...

I love the rain, this is such a sweet card, those home made dots look great too!

Katie Melhus said...

A perfect Springtime card! So glad you joined us at Seize the Sketch!

Shirley said...

A really uplifting card with your cute umbrella and the dot rain! So pretty and love the sentiment!

Anonymous said...

So darn cute its perfect!!!

Cathy Weber said...

Wow...did you put together a lot of different products to create your card Julia...love the way you made your raindrops...bet that would look great as snow too! You also used one of my favorite sentiments...glad you were able to stay away from the crowds.

Loll said...

Sweet! Love the fun design and the fabulous color combo. Loll xx

Deepti said...

This is lovely, I like the way u showed the rain drops :)

Diane Jaquay said...

So pretty, Julia, love the soft colors!

Geri said...

I suspect that sales of this stamp over at wPlus9 are going to soar once your readers discover the beautiful 'rain drops' that you have created!

The two yellow enamel dots tie in fabulously with the umbrella and do a fabulous job of showcasing that great sentiment...and you're right...it did make me smile! Thanks for sharing your sweet card with us at the Card Concept Challenge :)

Kim Heggins said...

Too too cute! I love that sentiment and what a sweet little umbrella and so perfectly accented.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE your colors and the raindrops! Your umbrella is FAB, too! Wonderful card, Julia!

Words and Pictures said...

Such pretty colours, and a lovely card altogether.
Alison x

Janet's Joy said...

Love the rain! I need the stitched frames!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Super sweet card, Julia! Love the look of rain! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Seize the Sketch!

Lori Turner said...

Gorgeous CAS card, Julia! I love that sentiment :) Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch this week xoxoo